Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Percy Harvin on Brett Favre:

marstc09 wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    He said "SOME of our coaches."

There are quality control guys and assistant coaches on the offense that are younger than Brett.

He's been running the offense for 17 years. There's no doubt he knows what works and what doesn't, he's seen it all.

I don't think there's any controversy in Harvin's statement, it's factual. He knows the offense better than some of our guys, no doubt. Better than Childress? No. Better than Bevell? Maybe. The rest of the guys going down the food chain, probably.
    The Chicago game is proof positive he knows it better than Childress. Even Favre was quoted to saying he basically took over the 2nd half.
    This is Childress' variation of Holmgren's system. Not the exact same thing. I can't see Favre knowing it better. I think he has a better feel for the game, but in terms of simply knowing the offense, it has to be Childress. It's his offense, he put together the playbook.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Mr Anderson wrote:

There are quality control guys and assistant coaches on the offense that are younger than Brett.

He's been running the offense for 17 years. There's no doubt he knows what works and what doesn't, he's seen it all.

I don't think there's any controversy in Harvin's statement, it's factual. He knows the offense better than some of our guys, no doubt. Better than Childress? No. Better than Bevell? Maybe. The rest of the guys going down the food chain, probably.
    Percy was only talking about the Offensive coaches...Brett knows the system better than they do.

Obviously Brett doesn't over rule the Defensive coaches.

Caine

Mr Anderson wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

The Chicago game is proof positive he knows it better than Childress. Even Favre was quoted to saying he basically took over the 2nd half.
    This is Childress' variation of Holmgren's system. Not the exact same thing. I can't see Favre knowing it better. I think he has a better feel for the game, but in terms of simply knowing the offense, it has to be Childress. It's his offense, he put together the playbook.
    No, Andy Reid put the play book togather...

Childress got it colored half way, then Bevell spilled his watercolors all over it and they had to redo it.

Favre was brought in run things until they can get a new book from Reid....probably in the form of Donovan McNabb (by way of Washington).

Caine

Caine wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

Percy was only talking about the Offensive coaches...Brett knows the system better than they do.

Caine
    I was only referring to offensive coaches as well.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

marstc09 wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

I have to agree, Favre knows the WCO better than anyone on the coaching staff. Childress places too much emphasis on a vanilla running game to really call his version a WCO philosophy. It's more a simple "ball control" offense.

Favre's 18 years running the WCO was with more of a true WCO philosophy. And more importantly, with 18 years of a QB with Favre's skillset...Favre himself...of course he knows how to run "this offense" best.

Having said that, I think Chilli provides a good counterbalance to Favre's gunslinger mentality and that helps aid in the reduction of Interceptions.
    None

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

Caine
    I was only referring to offensive coaches as well.
    Yes, but I was being "All inclusive"...

Caine

bsmithberkley wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

I have to agree, Favre knows the WCO better than anyone on the coaching staff. Childress places too much emphasis on a vanilla running game to really call his version a WCO philosophy. It's more a simple "ball control" offense.

Favre's 18 years running the WCO was with more of a true WCO philosophy. And more importantly, with 18 years of a QB with Favre's skillset...Favre himself...of course he knows how to run "this offense" best.

Having said that, I think Chilli provides a good counterbalance to Favre's gunslinger mentality and that helps aid in the reduction of Interceptions.
    I think your post more reflects their offensive philosophies(which you mentioned yourself), not their knowledge of the system.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Mr Anderson wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

I think your post more reflects their offensive philosophies(which you mentioned yourself), not their knowledge of the system.
    True, and the "current offense" is more in line with Favre's philosophy, ergo...Favre knowing the offense better than Chilli.
    None

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

True, and the "current offense" is more in line with Favre's philosophy, ergo...Favre knowing the offense better than Chilli.
    That doesn't mean the system/playbook has changed. Just the way we use it has.

Truth is, we don't know who knows the actual system better. But I have a hard time believing it's not Childress, for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post. However, that doesn't mean it's unfair to assume that Favre knows it better than some of our other coaches.

Mr Anderson wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

That doesn't mean the system/playbook has changed. Just the way we use it has.

Truth is, we don't know who knows the actual system better. But I have a hard time believing it's not Childress, for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post. However, that doesn't mean it's unfair to assume that Favre knows it better than some of our other coaches.
    In all seriousness, I think that if it is an issue of who can explain the philosophy and principles behind the various aspects of the system , Chiller would be ahead.

If the question is, instead, who is better able to practically apply the system - either through play calling/altering plays or through general scheming over all (including reacting to on field situations), the answer is Favre.

The bottom line is that you have two different but RELATED people dealing with different aspects of the game plan. Chiller is the Commander in Chief - he comes up with teh overall strategy. Favre is the field General, he has to take the overall strategy and make it work.

One without the other is pretty useless - and in Chiller's case this is validated by the craptacular performance of the Offense prior to Favre's arrival. With Favre, you have to go back to the Ray Rhodes year to see an example of this going the other way.

Caine

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast