Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

Pep's injury a positive???

What is this guy smoking? This is in no way a positive for us. Is the season over yet?

Culpepper injury `a positive` for Vikings?

By Jeff Mason
    Tue, Nov 1, 2005

Apparently, sex cruises, ticket scalping and embarrassing losses aren’t enough problems for the Minnesota Vikings.

Mired in a 2-5 season, the Vikings are now without starting quarterback Daunte Culpepper for the rest of the season. Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee on Sunday in a 38-13 loss to the Carolina Panthers as 7-point dogs.

The Vikings were last without Culpepper in 2003, when an injured back kept him out of 2 ½ games. Minnesota won and covered all three contests.

With Brad Johnson scheduled to replace Culpepper, Minnesota stumbles home to face the Detroit Loins as a 1 ½-point underdog.
    “I think this is a semi-positive situation for Minnesota,� says Covers Expert Larry Ness. “Johnson’s always been a pretty good quarterback with pretty good numbers. And after having all those great seasons, Culpepper’s been in a tremendous funk.�
    Read on:

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=59949&tid=27&t=1

Here is a Carolina homer's article:

FOURTH AND INCHES: A long, long, long list of reasons for Vikings' troubles

By Jessie H. Nunery, Rocky Mount Telegram

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

CHARLOTTE — It's hard to say when and where the Minnesota Vikings went wrong.

Could it have been the moment former owner Red McCombs decided to hire Mike Tice as owner? Maybe it was somewhere in between the hiring and decisions to keep Tice, who has compiled a 26-32 record in three seasons in the Twin Cities.
    Read:

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2005/11/02/110205RMTNunery.html

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

Prophet Guest

Re: Pep's injury a positive???

I never knew Tice was the owner. Culpepper or no Culpepper the problem was in the coaching. Assuming the coaching staff uses some of their theoretical talent the season isn't tanked yet.

If you look at the NFCN the Vikings, with the current set of leaders, are in a serious funk. The Lions are in shambles and it appears that Harrington will never amount to much even when he has a bunch of first-rounders in the WR slots. The Packers are hurting and will not have a decent QB in the near future. The Bears have turned things around with their D and are whittling away at improving their O. The Vikes have the personnel to get the job done but don't have anybody to put the pieces of the puzzle together so they can capitalize on their talent. Yes, an overly simplistic analysis.

Will be interesting to see what happens next year. This season will get better too, can it get much worse?

Del Rio Guest

To his credit he said semi-possitive.

The way Culpepper had been playing so far this year I am in no position to argue with him.

Brad Johnson will be fine he is a good quarterback. You act as if Johnson stabbed Culpepper in the back. He was hired for this situation, so he will step up and do his job. Culpepper wasn't doing very good fo us anyway.

I don't see where the guy is off his rocker he just has the ability to look at things logically and not from tinted shades.

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

"Del Rio" wrote:

The way Culpepper had been playing so far this year I am in no position to argue with him.

Brad Johnson will be fine he is a good quarterback. You act as if Johnson stabbed Culpepper in the back. He was hired for this situation, so he will step up and do his job. Culpepper wasn't doing very good fo us anyway.

I don't see where the guy is off his rocker he just has the ability to look at things logically and not from tinted shades.
    He said Tice was hired as owner. Most of the blame lies on coaches and O-Line, not Pep. So putting Brad in there is not a positive, sure he might make some reads quicker with his experience, but he is a statue. He won't be able to take off when our O-line fails. I'm not sure if Pep will ever be the same, we might have to look elsewhere for a QB.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

xvikingfan is offline Rookie

Tice wasn't a problem last year when Vikes beat Green Bay in Green Bay in the playoffs.You think maybe,just maybe,now I know it's a reach,so stick with me here.You think not having one of the best recievers ever to play the game missing from your lineup may be just a tiny bit of the problem.Or maybe its just a coincidence that after 7 years the Vikings O just happened to vanish the first season without RM.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

positives:

with pep out,
    1. our offense will have to find another way to win, which could be positive. we will longer be able to rely on pep having a good game to win.
    2. if our offense continues to fail--new coaching staff next season!
    a. high draft choice to get a great RB.
    3. brad johnson will be more of a leader than pep ever was.

negatives:
    1. we will most likely win a couple more games this season.
    (which is what we would do anyway if pep was still in there.)
    2. culp might never get back to his true scrambling form. let's face it, when he is injured , he is no mcnair or mcnabb or vick. he will be squeamish to run again, which is what made him such a special QB cause he could do both.

I like that brad johnson is getting a chance. he won a superbowl--be that he had an awesome defense and just had to be reliable when he won, but he has experience and is a calm leader for this unreliable team.

this season, i say we see what brad can do...this is why we got him.

next season, i say we keep brad and build a team around a running game and new OC.

the season after that, i say we get that rookie QB to replace culp and brad if we need to.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ShanePurpleBlood" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

He said Tice was hired as owner. Most of the blame lies on coaches and O-Line, not Pep. So putting Brad in there is not a positive, sure he might make some reads quicker with his experience, but he is a statue. He won't be able to take off when our O-line fails. I'm not sure if Pep will ever be the same, we might have to look elsewhere for a QB.
    4 rushes for 30 yards with a long one of 14 yards...looks like he can run just fine to me! Don't buy into the BS that he can't run...he will make much quicker decisions than Pep was doing...mainly because he will not be playing with the pressure on him that Pep had to win...Brad knows that he isn't expected to win games by himself, so he will rely on his teammates to make plays...Brad's main job will be to get the ball in the hands of the right people and to not make stupid mistakes...two things that he is fully capable of.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PAvikesfan" wrote:
    positives:

with pep out,
    1. our offense will have to find another way to win, which could be positive. we will longer be able to rely on pep having a good game to win.
    2. if our offense continues to fail--new coaching staff next season!
    a. high draft choice to get a great RB.
    3. brad johnson will be more of a leader than pep ever was.
    1. agree on that, maybe the team will mature as a result of this, so could do some of them a favour by making them step up

2. I think the new coaching staff next season is a given at this time. The only way they will hang on is if the Vikes won the SB.. which is a long shot at the present time.
    a. not so sure about this. Bennett will be gone and not sure on MeMos status. By then Onterrio Smith will be back, now he can carry the load for a full game so I'm not sure if there is the need to draft a RB, unless OS is likely to be shown the door as soon as his suspension is over.

3. I believe Pep is a leader, sometimes thats why things have gone bad because he tries too hard to lead by example. Johnson may have an edge this year as he is the 'new boy QB' to almost the entire current roster and so may get more respect due to being unknown to some. He'll have his own style of leadership but I wouldn't necessarily say he's a better leader than Pep
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Prophet Guest

"xvikingfan" wrote:
    Tice wasn't a problem last year when Vikes beat Green Bay in Green Bay in the playoffs.You think maybe,just maybe,now I know it's a reach,so stick with me here.You think not having one of the best recievers ever to play the game missing from your lineup may be just a tiny bit of the problem.Or maybe its just a coincidence that after 7 years the Vikings O just happened to vanish the first season without RM.
    It surprises me when people buy into that argument. Maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff lacks the brains to adapt the game plan to the current personnel rather than sticking with virtually the same offensive scheme without RM. Obviously the absense of RM changes the team, does Tice have the ability to take his leadership role and apply his knowledge to adapt to the changes? Either he is incapable of adapting the game plan or he doesn't have the necessary skill set to adapt in preparation for a game or, my theory, is he spends too much time spinning his wheels trying to prepare and is incapable of changing the game plan based on what the opponents are throwing at him.

So, yes, RM not being on the team obviously changes the make up of the team. So what. There is still plenty of talent on the team and they are doing nothing. Time for Tice and company to team up with Kirby Puckett in the car wash business.

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Well for good or bad our season now lies with Brad. I for one have always been a fan of his. The shipping is sailing, and no I'm not references the boat trip. If you don't understand the analogy go read:

Ahmad Rashads , "Vikes, Mikes, and something on the backside."

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast