Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Pep - Bling Bling!

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Daunte Culpepper showed off his scrambling ability Wednesday — in a crowded convention center ballroom.
    The Minnesota Vikings quarterback presented a paralyzed high school football player two diamond necklaces worth about $75,000 during an NFL awards ceremony, but then awkwardly asked for them back after it was finished.

The apparent gift prompted a mother to cry, a father to think about buying a safe to store it and Culpepper to find a way out of the mess.
    “I’ll get him something else,” Culpepper said sheepishly.
    The confusion began at the FedEx ground and air player of the year honors, where finalists Culpepper, Peyton Manning, Shaun Alexander and Curtis Martin were on stage for the announcement.
    When the master of ceremonies opened the floor for questions, Jerry Townsend spoke up from his wheelchair in the front row.

“Hey Daunte, can I get some of that ice?” he said in a low voice, referring to the two sparkling necklaces hanging around Culpepper’s neck.
    Culpepper jumped up, pulled them off and brought them over to Townsend, a senior defensive back at Jacksonville Episcopal High School who was paralyzed from the neck down while making a tackle in October.

Townsend spent the last four months in various hospitals and was released Wednesday — just in time to go to the Super Bowl event.
    After Culpepper put the necklaces around Townsend’s neck, his mother started to cry. His father talked about needing to get a safe for the expensive jewelry.

Culpepper, meanwhile, went back to his seat and finished the awards ceremony (Manning won the air award, and Martin won the ground one). After it was over, Culpepper patiently answered dozens of questions while keeping a close eye on his jewelry across the room.

One of the diamond-laced necklaces was the No. 11, Culpepper’s jersey number, and the other was a large pepper (for Culpepper).
    “Where’s that kid at? I’ve got to get my stuff back,” Culpepper said.
    Culpepper then walked over to the Townsends and asked them to write down their address so he could send them something else. Culpepper wasn’t sure what it would be.
    8)

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Pep - Bling Bling!

The kid will be better off with something more practical...the parents are stupid if they think that the jewelry would be safe...they would probably have to fend off burglars and invest in not only a safe, but an alarm system as well. We all know that Pep will do right by them...Daunte needs to think twice before doing something like that again...people will take advantage of his generosity way too much if he isn't more judicious about what he does in the public eye.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

Pep - Bling Bling!

That's some funny stuff!

Maybe an autographed game worn jersey or something.

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Pep - Bling Bling!

Pep better have insurance on that stuff.

Pep - Bling Bling!

How dumb would you have to be to think someone would GIVE that away!
    You republican whore!

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Pep - Bling Bling!

Daunte better give the kid some serious loot(sp?) to make up for that.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

snowinapril is online now Jersey Retired

Pep - Bling Bling!

"PurpleRide" wrote:
    How dumb would you have to be to think someone would GIVE that away!
    I am sure that the kid was joking.

DC, with his good heart, probably felt guilt looking at a kid in that state, so DC wanted to make a gesture. Obviously, DC wasn't thinking.

Maybe a donation to help put the kid through college or something nice like that. You could put him through college for a third of what the bling costs.

Oh and give him an autograph to seal the deal.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Pep - Bling Bling!

you know the weird thing is if Moss would have done that--giving bling away--i think he would actually give it away and think nothing of it.

indialovesvikes is offline Training Camp

Pep - Bling Bling!

yea i bet if moss gave it he wouldnt ask it back

dc what were u thinking...now better make it up in cash or have some sort of a drive to collect funds for this kid

oh and i wanna see a pic of DC's wifey...dont know what she looks like

Commander Ed is offline Training Camp

Pep - Bling Bling!

I'm kind of stunned ESPN hasn't turned this into a bigger mess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast