Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CVGVIKE is offline Pro-Bowler

And people wonder why Viking fans hate red....

All of this talk about Red doing this is pure speculation...IMO. I like to think that Red cares about more than becoming a bigger billionaire. But we will have to see what will happen in the next few years.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

And I'll be honest...I'd hate to see the Vikings go to LA. For one, they'd probably be moved out of the division and be replaced with Indianapolis or something. It would mess up a great rivalry. Wouldn't be cool.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Red McCombs McCombs Rumors Begin Again
    By Viking Update Staff
    Date: Jun 29, 2004

The rumor mill has started kicking up the dust once again -- this time not that Red McCombs is going to sell the team, but move it to Los Angeles.

The rumors of the Vikings being sold or relocating have been on the radar screen for years. Despite selling every seat in the Metrodome since 1998, the Vikings have been one of the frontrunners to fill the vacancy that exists in Los Angeles for a football team.

Once again the rumors have started that the Vikings are that team to fill the void. In the past, the talk of relocation has been a ploy by Red McCombs to get the state involved in talking stadium. Now it sounds like the rumor mill is being fed by McCombs, but not about a sale to Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor. This time it's about McCombs taking his Vikings and heading west.

As VU has discussed many times in the past, our understanding of the the contract signed by then-Commissioner Pete Rozelle with the state legislature guaranteed a NFL team in Minnesota if the Vikings broke the lease on the Metrodome -- which runs through 2011. VU has been told that McCombs believes he can buy out the final years of the lease for about $40 million and have the Vikings in L.A. for the 2008 season. Others contend that the lease won't be that easily broken, it will be difficult to get a 75 percent vote to move a team that sells every possible ticket to every game and that Minnesota will fight for its team. Keep in mind that the state fought the powerful tobacco industry in court and won.

The bottom line numbers being thrown around are that the Vikings in Los Angeles would be worth about $800 million -- much more than Taylor is offering ($450 million) and even higher than McCombs' asking price for the team ($600 million).

While the "Chicken Little" media in Minnesota continues to say the sky is falling, VU is convinced a deal will be struck for a new stadium -- whether McCombs is still the owner or not -- before the team is allowed to go away. But, until that happens, threats to move will continue, and, if nothing is done, it may be a threat McCombs tries to exercise.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Reading this stuff just pisses me off!! I hate Red McCombs more and more everyday. I don't care if this is all just speculation and rumors or whatever. If he ever just hinted at moving the Vikings out of the state, even as a joke, it isn't funny. Now I'm all mad!! Damn!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

The Vikings moving to L.A. will ruin a great rivalry between several teams but, mostly the Packers and Vikings.

I don't see Jack wearing that ridiculous yellow hair and horn thing though!

Since L.A. already has your basketball team I guess you are used to it.

I hope the Rams move to the new NFC North. They have classy fans and a winning tradition.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Tex? did you come on here strictly for the purpose of being annoying? I don't hate packer fans... well not all of them anyways, especially if they can prove that they have a few brains in there head and aren't the trailor trash that I envision when I think "cheesehead". You'd seriously rather have the Rams as your rival?

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Here's another article on the subject, this one from VU (via yahoo sports).

"Yahoo Sports" wrote:
    Red May Be Fourth In Line for LA

Viking Update Staff - VikingUpdate.com
    July 1, 2004 at 11:08am ET

With the resurgence of rumors that Red McCombs may look to move the Vikings to Los Angeles, it could be quite possible that Red would be fourth in line to relocate a team to L.A.

There have been two differing schools of thought concerning threats by Red McCombs to move the Vikings to Los Angeles. One says he can buy out the remainder of the Vikings Metrodome lease for $40 million and be in L.A. by 2008. The other says he's locked into the Metrodome until 2011. But, the bigger question is whether Red would even be at the front of the line in such a scenario.

VU has been told that the Vikings aren't at the top of the NFL's wish list for relocation. Apparently, that would be the Chargers. With young franchise players in LaDainian Tomlinson and Phillip Rivers, the Chargers would be the most logical selection, since they would simply move up the coast, remain in the AFC West and keep the current geographical breakdown of the league intact. Two other options seem more likely to our league source, including the Saints and Colts.

The Saints may get first crack at the opening, since the lease at the Superdome expires next year. The Colts, who have already betrayed one city by moving in the middle of the night -- creating new rules for how franchises can relocate -- are also ahead of the Vikings.

So, if McCombs wants to move the Vikings to Los Angeles, he might not just be facing a potential lawsuit here in Minnesota and the likelihood of not getting the required number of "yes" votes. He may be too far back in the line for his number to come up in the L.A. lottery.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Seriously I'll guarantee if anyone moves it will be the Chargers or Colts, they are in alot better situations to move financially and with the league.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

There are 31 teams that can move to LA, guess which one shouldn't, for you morons out there like Tex, the one team that shouldn't would have to be the VIKINGS!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

packmanxxxi is offline Asst. Coach

For the record- no Packer fan wants to see the Vikings leave and a great rivalry die... although we will welcome you to the land of green and gold with open arms.

You would all be better off as Packer fans anyhow...lol

Serious though... Red is an ass and has you ALL by the balls. Your giving in to a new stadium??? Come on....
    3 Straight Division Champs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123