Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Penalties Week 2

"vikingbill50" wrote:
    yes penalties do kill a drive and i am sure it is being addressed to try and solve the problem, we are still a new team with alot of new players and will gel together and play better the more the season goes on...
    There are some penalties I could chaulk up to the newness of the offense. Holding for example could fit into this, except lineman hold damn near every play it's only caught when obvious if it is even caught at all.

False starts, illegal formations, face masks, those are things that has nothing to do with gelling. These are dicipline things that should get better, but should have never been an issue to begin with.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

You know what impressed me about Marcus Johnson is, even though he had a bad day against Peppers I wouldn't really call it a horrbile outing, because he never had 1 Flase Start against Peppers, usualy when a Tackle is going against a speedy DE they tend to false start alot, but you didn't see that with Marcus.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I know I asked you this on the radio show on Sunday, but... I do think some of this is on the coaching.
    Well disciplined teams don't get these stupid penalties.

Del Rio Guest

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    I know I asked you this on the radio show on Sunday, but... I do think some of this is on the coaching.
    Well disciplined teams don't get these stupid penalties.
    I could maybe blame the coaches for the formations, but the false starts coming from Matt Birk Vetran pro-bowl center, and Mckinnie, I can't do it. There are so many things you have to work on each week to prepare, going over something that someone should have learned in highschool is not one of them.

Those penalties IMO lay on the shoulders of the players. Delay of game, illegal formation, unorganized penalties could be tagged to coaches. At the end of the day no matter how many times you drill into someones head not to hold, not to grab a facemask, not to do this or that, the dicipline needs to come from within the player that is making the plays in order for it to take effect.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the stats Del.
    It is deflating when a penalty kills drives or continues drives for the opposition.
    A lot of Birk's penalties always seem to kill a nice play.
    I remember this from the little he played last year as well.
    He does get caught holding.

Hopefully they will diminish and give the offense a chance to score TDs instead of FGs so we don't have to rely on Longwell's arm (LOL).

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

i am sure birk will get it together real soon, after all it has been almost 2 seasons since he has really played and then come back to a whole new line, it will all come together and we will have one of the best o lines in the league
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12