Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bubba Jed is offline Starter

Re:Pawlenty hints at stadium solution

I'm sure that if the Vikings move to L.A. there will be riots in the streets of MN.
    The Pack, the Pack, gonna smack the Pack.

Bubba Jed is offline Starter

So the politicians in MN need to get their heads out of the arses and get this stuff done.
    The Pack, the Pack, gonna smack the Pack.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Bubba Jed wrote:
    So the politicians in MN need to get their heads out of the arses and get this stuff done.
    Pretty much.

The Governor actually said basically the same thing. When he introduced his budget proposal without any Vikings stadium funding, he made it clear that he expects any funding bill to come from the legislature, not from the governors office. He said something to the effect of "they can have creative thoughts too."

Obviously a republican governor with Washington aspirations isn't going to introduce a budget with a billion dollar stadium attached to it. But between these comments and the hinting toward lottery, IMHO he is making it very clear that he will support a stadium bill if passed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

fanofteam is offline Starter

Someone told me the latest proposal is for an outdoor stadium, is that true ?

Blog Entries

fanofteam wrote:
    Someone told me the latest proposal is for an outdoor stadium, is that true ?
    I hadn't heard on one yet. The last proposal I heard of was the MSFC one that was released about 5 weeks back. It featured a retractable roof.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

They are introducing a bill to abolish the MSFC and sell the dome to the Vikings for $1 too.

Blog Entries

Webby wrote:
    They are introducing a bill to abolish the MSFC and sell the dome to the Vikings for $1 too.
    A similar bill has been introduced before. I don't see the Vikings going for it. It would certainly fix the lease argument they currently have, but it would also remove the state from any responsibility of building a new stadium, which would be a mistake.

The Vikings cannot afford to build a stadium themselves. Very few owners can afford to do something like, and Wilf - while rich - is not that rich.

I am hoping to see a bill that puts state contributions equal to the money that the state will receive through direct and indirect tax. Then the Vikings and/or host community can work out the rest. It is, IMHO, the most fair compromise.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Minniman wrote:
    More lottery and gambling? That is just what we need. :S

The State of Minnesota should sell shares in the stadium like the Packers sell shares to the team. Then we'll see how many Vikings fans put their money where their mouths are. The NFL does not allow fan ownership of a team other than the Packers, but they cannot say a thing about the stadium.

By the way, the $1.15 billion Cowboys stadium had only $325 million in public funds. Why must the Vikings stadium have so much more? Also, the NFL pitched in $150 million. Will the Vikings stadium get that as well?
    The process of moving from a privately owned company to a public company is not as easy as you might think. You don't just sell shares, its a long process, and by the time thats finalized and they finally sell shares it will be too late. There's also a reason the Packers are the only publically funded team in the league. Its not allowed anymore. I'm fairly certain of that. Certain rules are allowed to be broken if that team was grandfathered in before the rule was made.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NodakPaul wrote:
    Webby wrote:
    A similar bill has been introduced before. I don't see the Vikings going for it. It would certainly fix the lease argument they currently have, but it would also remove the state from any responsibility of building a new stadium, which would be a mistake.
    Didn't Uffdavikes mention that awhile back?

And whatever happened to that guy?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Minniman wrote:
    More lottery and gambling? That is just what we need. :S

The State of Minnesota should sell shares in the stadium like the Packers sell shares to the team. Then we'll see how many Vikings fans put their money where their mouths are. The NFL does not allow fan ownership of a team other than the Packers, but they cannot say a thing about the stadium.

By the way, the $1.15 billion Cowboys stadium had only $325 million in public funds. Why must the Vikings stadium have so much more? Also, the NFL pitched in $150 million. Will the Vikings stadium get that as well?
    The process of moving from a privately owned company to a public company is not as easy as you might think. You don't just sell shares, its a long process, and by the time thats finalized and they finally sell shares it will be too late. There's also a reason the Packers are the only publically funded team in the league. Its not allowed anymore. I'm fairly certain of that. Certain rules are allowed to be broken if that team was grandfathered in before the rule was made.
    I am aware that the NFL rules do not allow public ownership of the team, but I am talking about shares in the stadium itself. That would allow all of the out-state Vikings fans who say just do it no matter the cost to contribute their $500.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast