Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PInfante97 is offline Rookie

Patterson vs Harvin

Scout.com: Harvin vs. Patterson: Tale of the tape

When the Vikings traded Percy Harvin, it was thought that he would be impossible to replace. One year into his NFL career, Cordarrelle Patterson has come a long way in getting that job done.

Almost from the moment Rick Spielman bailed out midstream on his draft-day press conference, when the Vikings completed a multi-pick trade to get back into the first round for a third first-round selection and took Cordarrelle Patterson, the comparisons were bound to take place.

Despite being very different players in terms of size, the comparisons to Percy Harvin hung over Patterson like a dark cloud. He was going to have big shoes to fill and there was little reason to believe he could come close. In his first four seasons, Harvin had set a standard for explosiveness. In October 2012, he was having his name legitimately included in NFL MVP consideration. Teams donít easily replace dynamic playmakers like Harvin. Heís a once-in-a-decade type of difference-making talent.

But itís hard to imagine that Patterson could have done much more in his rookie season to replace Harvin and come close to replicating the numbers that earned Harvin the 2009 Rookie of the Year award.

In 2009, Harvin had the luxury of having Brett Favre as his quarterback. It didnít take Favre long to figure out what he had in the rookie out of Florida. Harvin was targeted 91 times, catching 60 passes for 790 yards and six touchdowns. He also rushed 15 times for 135 yards and returned 42 kickoffs for 1,156 yards (a 27.5-yard average) and two touchdowns. He was targeted five or more times in 10 games, being used considerably throughout the season. He made an early splash that carried over throughout the season and it was clear in September of that season that the Vikings had a star on their hands.

In 2013, Patterson was targeted 77 times (49 of those in the final seven games), catching 45 passes for 469 yards and four touchdowns. He rushed 12 times for 158 yards and three touchdowns and returned 43 kickoffs for 1,293 yards (a 32.4-yard average) and two touchdowns.

The tale of the tape was impressive on both sides. Prior to 2012, Harvinís 2009 rookie season represented the most combined yards by any player in Vikings history (2,081, a record broken by Adrian Peterson with 2,314 yards). Harvin was a vital component to the pass offense all season, but itís hard to dispute the records Patterson set as a rookie.

His two 105-plus yard kickoff return touchdowns set a franchise record and he sits alone atop the NFL kick return TD charts as the only player to ever bring a kick back 109 yards. His 32.4-yard average led the NFL. He scored nine total touchdowns Ė four receiving, three rushing and two on returns. He was the only wide receiver since the modern NFL-AFL merger to score three rushing TDs in a season. By any measure, Patterson was as explosive in 2013 as Harvin was in 2009.

What makes Pattersonís achievement more impressive is that he was brought along extremely slowly by the Vikings Ė aside from unleashing him on kickoff returns. The Vikings had a turnstile at quarterback and, for a young receiver learning the game, he was limited to baby steps Ė brought along too slowly in the estimation of many who saw the explosiveness Patterson could show in practice.

In the first eight games of the season, Patterson was targeted 24 times, caught 16 passes for 146 yards (a 9.1-yard average), rushed twice for two yards and his only two touchdowns were on kick returns. In the final eight games of the season, he was targeted with 43 passes, caught 29 of them for 323 yards (an 11.1-yard average), rushed 10 times for 156 yards and scored seven offensive touchdowns.

For those who cringed when the Vikings traded Harvin, take solace in the fact that, for the three years that follow, the price they would have paid to keep Harvin, they got both Greg Jennings and Patterson. Whoever the new head coach is, Patterson is the cake and Jennings is the frosting.

Weíre only one year removed, but, itís safe to say the Vikings would make the Harvin trade again and again and again. It was worth it

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by PInfante97 View Post
    Scout.com: Harvin vs. Patterson: Tale of the tape

When the Vikings traded Percy Harvin, it was thought that he would be impossible to replace. One year into his NFL career, Cordarrelle Patterson has come a long way in getting that job done.

Almost from the moment Rick Spielman bailed out midstream on his draft-day press conference, when the Vikings completed a multi-pick trade to get back into the first round for a third first-round selection and took Cordarrelle Patterson, the comparisons were bound to take place.

Despite being very different players in terms of size, the comparisons to Percy Harvin hung over Patterson like a dark cloud. He was going to have big shoes to fill and there was little reason to believe he could come close. In his first four seasons, Harvin had set a standard for explosiveness. In October 2012, he was having his name legitimately included in NFL MVP consideration. Teams donít easily replace dynamic playmakers like Harvin. Heís a once-in-a-decade type of difference-making talent.

But itís hard to imagine that Patterson could have done much more in his rookie season to replace Harvin and come close to replicating the numbers that earned Harvin the 2009 Rookie of the Year award.

In 2009, Harvin had the luxury of having Brett Favre as his quarterback. It didnít take Favre long to figure out what he had in the rookie out of Florida. Harvin was targeted 91 times, catching 60 passes for 790 yards and six touchdowns. He also rushed 15 times for 135 yards and returned 42 kickoffs for 1,156 yards (a 27.5-yard average) and two touchdowns. He was targeted five or more times in 10 games, being used considerably throughout the season. He made an early splash that carried over throughout the season and it was clear in September of that season that the Vikings had a star on their hands.

In 2013, Patterson was targeted 77 times (49 of those in the final seven games), catching 45 passes for 469 yards and four touchdowns. He rushed 12 times for 158 yards and three touchdowns and returned 43 kickoffs for 1,293 yards (a 32.4-yard average) and two touchdowns.

The tale of the tape was impressive on both sides. Prior to 2012, Harvinís 2009 rookie season represented the most combined yards by any player in Vikings history (2,081, a record broken by Adrian Peterson with 2,314 yards). Harvin was a vital component to the pass offense all season, but itís hard to dispute the records Patterson set as a rookie.

His two 105-plus yard kickoff return touchdowns set a franchise record and he sits alone atop the NFL kick return TD charts as the only player to ever bring a kick back 109 yards. His 32.4-yard average led the NFL. He scored nine total touchdowns Ė four receiving, three rushing and two on returns. He was the only wide receiver since the modern NFL-AFL merger to score three rushing TDs in a season. By any measure, Patterson was as explosive in 2013 as Harvin was in 2009.

What makes Pattersonís achievement more impressive is that he was brought along extremely slowly by the Vikings Ė aside from unleashing him on kickoff returns. The Vikings had a turnstile at quarterback and, for a young receiver learning the game, he was limited to baby steps Ė brought along too slowly in the estimation of many who saw the explosiveness Patterson could show in practice.

In the first eight games of the season, Patterson was targeted 24 times, caught 16 passes for 146 yards (a 9.1-yard average), rushed twice for two yards and his only two touchdowns were on kick returns. In the final eight games of the season, he was targeted with 43 passes, caught 29 of them for 323 yards (an 11.1-yard average), rushed 10 times for 156 yards and scored seven offensive touchdowns.

For those who cringed when the Vikings traded Harvin, take solace in the fact that, for the three years that follow, the price they would have paid to keep Harvin, they got both Greg Jennings and Patterson. Whoever the new head coach is, Patterson is the cake and Jennings is the frosting.

Weíre only one year removed, but, itís safe to say the Vikings would make the Harvin trade again and again and again. It was worth it
    I'd take Patterson over Harvin ten out of ten times. He's a prototypical wide out which Harvin will never be.
    He's big and probably faster then Harvin. I think Patterson when he gets down running routes is going to
    be a star in the league. If he had been given more opportunity in the passing game early I think he'd
    easily have won rook of the year. Not sure why he was not used more. I see him as a Julio Jones clone
    but with more avenues to use him.

rockymtdan is online now Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    I'd take Patterson over Harvin ten out of ten times. He's a prototypical wide out which Harvin will never be.
    He's big and probably faster then Harvin. I think Patterson when he gets down running routes is going to
    be a star in the league. If he had been given more opportunity in the passing game early I think he'd
    easily have won rook of the year. Not sure why he was not used more. I see him as a Julio Jones clone
    but with more avenues to use him.
    I like the Julio Jones comparison but with more upside.
    Better then the Moss trade off for sure.
    There are some good tools in the tool box for the next coach hope they learn hoe to use them.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

IBleedPurple11 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Patterson is going to be a better player by far - he is bigger, and runs just as hard if not harder - When Patterson fields a kick return, I feel like he is going to take it to the house more often than I did when Harvin did - Also a bigger target in the passing game, no *headaches* for Patterson and no headaches for the coaches - suprisingly it all worked out. Patterson is going to be a big playmaker for us for a long time.

Harvin will never have a better year than Patterson, not last year or any year moving forward - id bet on it.

We need a QB and add another WR and prob some better blocking, and our TE's to stay healthy and we should have a good offense - but it all starts with the QB - which starts with the coach.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple11 View Post
    Patterson is going to be a better player by far - he is bigger, and runs just as hard if not harder - When Patterson fields a kick return, I feel like he is going to take it to the house more often than I did when Harvin did - Also a bigger target in the passing game, no *headaches* for Patterson and no headaches for the coaches - suprisingly it all worked out. Patterson is going to be a big playmaker for us for a long time.

Harvin will never have a better year than Patterson, not last year or any year moving forward - id bet on it.

We need a QB and add another WR and prob some better blocking, and our TE's to stay healthy and we should have a good offense - but it all starts with the QB - which starts with the coach.
    when looking at Patterson, it's hard to see we used 2 draft picks before we traded back into the first round before taking him.... I'm just glad he was still there...

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Patterson hands down, he has every bit of play making ability that Harvin has without the drama. Not to mention that CP can take a hit and not miss a month of football. Harvin has always been fragile.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    I think they are equal with the ball in their hands. Harvin was a tougher runner, but that also contributed to his injuries. Patterson has better straight line speed, as far as I can tell, but Harvin had better agility. Harvin could get himself open in ways that Patterson has not shown yet.

A healthy Harvin is a better player and I think there's little doubt, but also a rarity. Then again we haven't seen much of Patterson, so this debate has lots of room for change.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 01-07-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    The jury is still out regarding this for me as this year was a difficult one for CP with the oft mentioned QB carousel. Next year when teams begin to plan for him and he still makes those big plays will be the kicker. I like CP more than Harvin purely because he has less downside as far as attitude and health is concerned.

I also think apart from filling Harvins shoes he had the self confidence to take the 84 and that speaks volumes to me.
    Purple till i die

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Patterson has to still prove he can catch the ball better. Too many missed opportunities this year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    I personally think it's close between the two.. however, CP has entirely way more upside... he's bigger, faster, quicker a more elusive runner and has more explosion than harvin... Clearly harvin is the more polished receiver... but tha'ts bc CP hasn't been playing football that long... With that said, Harvin is more of a leaner and strong runner than CP... meaning Harvin doesn't have the Madden Juke skills that CP has... I'd take CP all day over Harvin... He's a better athlete and just as good as Harvin is right now with the ball in his hands.

Frankly, they pretty much run the same routes too.. WR screen... lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast