singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Path to Vikings went through Germany

[size=18px]Path to Vikings went through Germany[/size]

Former Gophers wide receiver Aaron Hosack hopes that his second stint in NFL Europe provided the boost he needed to land a job with the Purple this fall.

Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune
    Last update: July 08, 2006 – 10:50 PM

Whitey Jordan started his coaching career a half-century ago as a Clemson assistant. There were two traditions with Tigers football: winning and having fun. Frank Howard was the head coach and one of the game's all-time characters.

"We worked hard, and we laughed hard," Jordan said. "That carried over to the players -- loose during the week, tough as nails on Saturday. I'll tell you, Hosack would've been a perfect Tiger."

His mention of Aaron Hosack caused Jordan to start laughing and then he said: "He's my favorite player. I love that sucker."

Jordan coached for 15 years at Clemson, left for other schools for 20 years, and then came back to Clemson in the 1990s for five more seasons.

"I was 62 and that was 40 years of college coaching," Jordan said. "My wife and I were in our home back here in Clemson, and I was going to retire."

Then, Galen Hall -- a coach for whom Jordan had been the offensive coordinator at Florida -- called and said: "I'm taking over a team in Europe. I need you."

Jordan has coached eight years in NFL Europe. This season, he was the offensive line coach for the Frankfurt Galaxy. He also coached a year in the XFL.

"I'm going to coach in Europe one more season and that's it," he said. "I'm going to retire after 50 years, and 10 years after I promised my wife I was retiring."

Jordan was the offensive line coach and not directly in charge of Hosack this spring. They did develop a large appreciation for one another.

Hosack was asked last week for a Frankfurt coach's name and told a reporter: "Call Whitey. He's the guy you want."

Jordan was colorful, as Hosack promised. He also was effusive in his praise of Hosack, the 6-6 ex-Gophers receiver who has a chance to stick with the Vikings on his third try.

"If the ball is in the air, he's going to track it down," Jordan said. "And if he gets anything on it, even a pinkie finger, he'll catch it. He was the No. 3 receiver in our league, and I have to say -- we weren't blessed with outstanding quarterbacks. Give him an accurate thrower, like they have in the NFL, and watch out."

Hosack arrived in Minnesota as a junior college transfer in 2002. He caught 80 passes for 11 touchdowns in two seasons with the Gophers.

"Greg Hudson recruited me," Hosack said. "He brought out a tape of a game and the Gophers were throwing on every down. I said, 'I'm going to love this system.' Then, I got there and found out we had one of the best rushing teams in the country."

Hosack had a minicamp tryout with the Chicago Bears in the spring of 2004. Nothing happened. Then, Mike Tice brought him to the Vikings' last minicamp and he wound up on the practice squad.

The Vikings assigned him to NFL Europe for 2005. He broke his shoulder blade in Frankfurt's training camp. He came back for the final four games and suffered a torn labrum on the second-to-last play of the season.

He was on the NFL Europe's injured list all last season, drawing a salary of $130,000. The Vikings sent him back to Frankfurt this season. He caught 36 passes for 473 yards and four touchdowns. He followed this with three weeks in the Vikings' various camps in June.

"With Nate [Burleson] gone to Seattle, there's definitely an opening for a receiver with the Vikings," Hosack said. "I had good practices with the Vikings last month, but I also know I was right out of NFL Europe and better football shape than most of the players.

"All the receivers trying to get a spot will be equal when we get to Mankato. I'm out here in California, sticking my head in the playbook every day, and trying to make sure things are clicking for me on the first day of camp."

Jordan thinks they will be. "I think he's going to make it," Whitey said. "We had Marcus Robinson here years back, and see Aaron as the same type of receiver -- a big man who one D-back can't cover when the ball's in the air.

"He's a good human being, too. He has the long hair and tattoos, but if you tried to judge him by that, you would be wrong."

Patrick Reusse can be heard weekdays on AM-1500 KSTP at 6:45 and 7:45 a.m. and 4:40 p.m. [email protected]

Path to Vikings went through Germany

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Path to Vikings went through Germany

i like this kid honestly, hopefully he makes the team

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

oakmage is offline Starter

Re: Path to Vikings went through Germany

I concur with you in that I also hope he makes the team. We need more “good people” in the team; of course you can never have too many good people on a team.