Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Pat Williams pumped up to play Bills

Posted on Wed, Sep. 27, 2006

[size=13pt]Pat Williams pumped up to play Bills[/size]

DAVE CAMPBELL
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Pat Williams has a sprained ankle, and Wednesday's injury report listed Minnesota's heavyweight defensive tackle as questionable for this week's game at Buffalo.

His 50-50 status was purely procedural, because there's no way Williams will miss his first chance to play the Bills since he left after the 2004 season.

"It's my first time going back there, so I'm getting kind of excited," said Williams, who signed a three-year contract worth up to $13 million with $6 million guaranteed in March 2005.

Though Buffalo's coaching staff and front office have turned over since he left, Williams isn't shy about criticizing his former employer - which signed him as an undrafted rookie out of Texas A&M in 1997.

Coach Mike Mularkey, who resigned after last season, was replaced by Dick Jauron. President Tom Donahoe was fired, and Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy came in as general manager.

"I had a problem with the old coaching staff, but they're all gone," Williams said. "They didn't know what was going on there."

Gregg Williams, Wade Phillips and Levy were the coaches Williams said he liked, but he called Mularkey a "joke" and was not a fan of Donahoe's direction. The Bills were trying to re-sign Williams in 2004, but he decided to play the year out and enter free agency.

"It was hot garbage, and I told them so," Williams said. "I told them, 'Don't worry about it. I'm just going to play this out and do whatever.'"

Hard feelings? Hardly, since Donahoe and Mularkey are gone. He's good friends with cornerback Nate Clements, linebacker London Fletcher and linebacker Takeo Spikes, a trio Williams said he has daily conversations with. And the always-loud fans at Rich Stadium were great, he said.

Still, Williams plays with an obvious mean streak on the field, and he's sure to show it Sunday.

"I have one mind - go straight ahead and destroy the opponent," said Williams, who has 13 tackles, one for loss, and two quarterback hurries. "That's all I'm thinking about."

After a standout season in 2005, Williams started the summer off on the wrong foot when coach Brad Childress sent him to work on his conditioning when he reported to training camp heavier than the weight the Vikings targeted. Unhappy as he was, Williams didn't put himself in the doghouse by pouting or ruining his relationship with the new coach.

"He responded great," Childress said. "We've had a couple of very good conversations. He knew how I felt, I knew how he felt, and a week was plenty."

His backup, Ross Kolodziej, has been impressed.

"He's an unbelievable player, especially for a man of his size," Kolodziej said. "The quickness he has and the bursts. Just the way he just dominates the line of scrimmage and can shut down a running game is impressive. ... He's probably got one of the most ridiculous anticipations of the snap in the league. I just try and pick his brain a little bit on what he's seeing and what he's feeling that has got him in the backfield before the quarterback's handing the ball off."

The 6-foot-3 Williams has spent most of his career playing close to 340 pounds as a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense, a scheme used for part of last year by the Vikings. Now that they've switched to the Tampa Two, which requires heavy ball pursuit and a lot of activity by the lineman, there was a question about whether Williams was fleet enough to be effective in the new system.

But he has, so far, answered that.

"Everybody's playing good right now," Williams said.

AP Sports Writer Jon Krawczynski contributed to this report.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Pat Williams pumped up to play Bills

I've really come to enjoy watching " PYRAMID PAT "
    ( I like the name I just gave him
    ;D) and his dominating type of play.....I espiecaly enjoyed that clothes line tackle he had last week on Jones, thats some raw strenght their boys and girls...

He is for sure,
    one of my favorite players on the team.
    Can't wait to see him lay the smack down on McGirly and Loserman this week....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingNed" wrote:

;D) and his dominating type of play.....I espiecaly enjoyed that clothes line tackle he had last week on Jones, thats some raw strenght their boys and girls...

He is for sure,
    He had two tackles like that last week. Stopped them both cold.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:

He is for sure,
    He had two tackles like that last week. Stopped them both cold.
    See, that is complete and utter football knowledge and field vision. Not too many players can make a tackle WHILE being blocked.

I feel bad about talking smack to bills fans though.. I can relate too much to them. They're like us in the AFC...

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

yeah imagine a vikes bills superbowl. both had dynastys that went 0-4 in the superbowl therefore peopel usually call them failures. which just pisses me off.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

yea i know what you mean when i get told and asked how many times have we gone to the super bowl and won..well to me..even if you make it to the super bowl, you are a winner, how many teams havent even gone yet
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Phat Pat is gonna rip ish up!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"vikingbill50" wrote:
    yea i know what you mean when i get told and asked how many times have we gone to the super bowl and won..well to me..even if you make it to the super bowl, you are a winner, how many teams havent even gone yet
    Good point.
    I don't have the stats, but Jeff Siemon/Jim Klobachar covered the Viking Superbowl "Loser" label really well in their book, "Will the Vikings Ever Win the Superbowl?"
    It chronicles the 1976 season through our loss to Oakland in the big one.
    I was surprised by their judgement that we weren't the best NFC team that year, the Rams were.
    Also, in their opinion our strongest team of that era was the 1971 Vikes.
    Everyone was in their prime, but we know what happened that year...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Del Rio Guest

"mr.woo" wrote:
    yeah imagine a vikes bills superbowl. both had dynastys that went 0-4 in the superbowl therefore peopel usually call them failures. which just pisses me off.
    The Bills managed to attend and lose it 4 years in a row though. Now that is hard to swallow.

Prophet Guest

"Del" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    The Bills managed to attend and lose it 4 years in a row though. Now that is hard to swallow.
    No doubt, losing four years in a row is like having your heart ripped out while you take your last few gasps of air watching it beat in your opponents hand.
    The Bills fans are the only team that can related to losing four SBs.
    Within a few years they will be the only team to have lost four SBs and never won.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast