Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    Posted on Tue, Aug. 08, 2006

    [size=18px]Pat Williams back to leading D-line[/size]
    Defensive tackle comes off PUP list, makes his camp debut


    BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press


    MANKATO, Minn. — As the players stretched for Monday's morning practice, one coach quipped, "Who's the big guy?"

    The quip was one of many that Pat Williams had to endure as he made his practice debut at the Vikings' 2006 training camp. After missing 13 practices because he did not meet coach Brad Childress' conditioning or weight requirement, the defensive tackle was taken off the physically unable to perform list Monday.

    "Just him being out there brings a different spirit (to the players)," defensive end Kenechi Udeze said. "I'm just glad to have him back. He's a key to the defense."

    "It's nice to see him back out there," said defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who missed Monday's practices with a minor knee injury.

    During practice, Pat Williams lined up alongside Spencer Johnson with the first-string defense, and he made a nice play late in practice.

    "One play, he jumped the count and got up the field," Johnson said. "I was like, 'That's Pat.' "

    Johnson said Williams made his presence immediately felt by providing the young defensive linemen with his "tricks of the trade," such as anticipating which direction the line was going to go and jumping the snap count.

    "He's definitely the leader (of the defensive line)," Johnson said. "He's a good friend, and he helps you out when you need it, and he's a great football player, so everyone is going to follow him and listen to him."

    Williams declined to comment after both practices.

    But his agent, Angelo Wright, said he and his client are moving forward.

    "To me, it's a moot point. That's a non-issue, being on PUP," Wright said.

    "It doesn't affect Pat. It saved him a week where he didn't have to risk injury."

    Although Williams missed significant practice time, veteran safety Darren Sharper said he wasn't concerned about Williams getting back to form.

    "I know Pat is going to be out there. I know he's going to be ready to play," Sharper said. "Just look at what he did last year. He's one of the most competitive guys I've ever met."

    Although Childress did not address reporters Monday, he talked about Williams during an interview on KFAN radio.

    "First day back in pads, and not only will he have to keep coming cardiowise, now he'll have to learn to stop and start," Childress told KFAN. "It's a little bit different."

    Childress also clarified Williams' role in the defense. In the past, Williams was counted on to handle two gaps. But Childress said Williams will now be mostly responsible for one.

    "In this defense, when he gets between the center and guard, he's got to control the gap," Childress told KFAN. "It's a gap-responsibility defense."

    In praising Williams, Childress said, "He's tough, he's generally going to take two people in that gap, and he's got a great get-off and great anticipation for the snap count."

    Kevin Williams is expected to return soon. He was sidelined with swelling in his right knee.

    Asked if he's concerned about his knee, Kevin Williams said, "Nah, it's good."

    But defensive end Darrion Scott can't wait for both Pat and Kevin Williams to be in the lineup for the first time this camp.

    "It's good to have Pat out there, and hopefully Kevin will be out there soon, and we could have a complete defensive line, which we need," Scott said.

    Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

    Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    Posted on Tue, Aug. 08, 2006

    [size=18px]Pat Williams back in training camp[/size]

    BY KEVIN SEIFERT
    MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS


    MANKATO, Minn. - With little fanfare, Minnesota Vikings nose tackle Pat Williams began practicing Monday after spending a week addressing his weight and conditioning on the physically unable to perform list.

    Williams participated in all portions of both practices, resuming his role with the first-team defense. Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said Williams "looked like a guy who was at his first practice" but said he was happy to have him back.

    Williams declined several interview requests, saying "I'm not in that mode right now," and coach Brad Childress refused to make himself available to reporters.

    Childress appeared briefly on KFAN-AM radio but made no substantive comments about the issue.

    Williams, one of the team's top defensive players in 2005, missed a total of 13 practices because Childress wanted him to lose weight and improve his conditioning. Williams, 33, was listed at 317 pounds in the Vikings' 2005 media guide. He spent practice time running sprints and doing other conditioning drills with strength and conditioning coach Tom Kanavy.

    "It's well-documented what Pat Williams did for this team last year," Tomlin said. "We know what he's capable of. This is not his first rodeo. He's a quality player and a veteran leader, but he had to take care of some things before we put him back on the field.

    "We wouldn't have done it if it wasn't necessary. Pat needed to take care of his business first."

    It is not yet clear whether Williams will play in the team's preseason opener against Oakland on Monday.

    PRACTICE PACE SLOWS

    As players grind through the dog days of training camp, Childress appeared to pull back the intensity level of practice Monday. The morning session included minimal "live contact" drills and ended 25 minutes early, and the afternoon practice was a 60-minute session in shorts.

    Cornerback Antoine Winfield was among the players Sunday who noted that Childress' training camp has been the most physically demanding of their careers. Speaking Sunday night on WCCO-TV, Childress said: "I don't know what Antoine Winfield has been through before.

    "I just know what it takes to win in the National Football League," Childress added. "Football by nature is a physical game."

    TAYLOR ADJUSTS

    A four-year, $14.1 million payday doesn't usually come with a clause requiring patience, especially when $5.6 million of it is guaranteed.

    Vikings running back Chester Taylor seems to be very aware of this as he makes the adjustment to a new offensive system after four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.

    "Baltimore had nothing like this," said Taylor, who was a backup to Jamal Lewis.

    The West Coast offense requires running backs to be skilled in multiple facets of the game. Picking up blitzing linebackers is crucial and being able to catch the ball out of the backfield is a must.

    Taylor showed his receiving ability with Baltimore last season by hauling in a career-high 41 passes, placing him fourth among AFC running backs in receiving.

    Taylor wasn't able to play much last weekend after suffering a minor groin strain in a joint practice Friday with the Kansas City Chiefs. He sat out Saturday and was limited in what he could do Sunday. Taylor's workload increased Monday. "I'm feeling a lot better," he said.

    NOTES

    • The Vikings placed safety Tank Williams on injured reserve and signed free agent Ahmad Treaudo, who spent time on Atlanta's roster last season. Williams is scheduled to undergo surgery today in Birmingham, Ala., to repair a fractured left kneecap he suffered over the weekend. His rehabilitation will take about four months.

    • Rookie receiver Hank Baskett, whom the Vikings traded to Philadelphia, started the Eagles' first preseason game Sunday. He caught one pass for seven yards.

    Pat Williams back in training camp

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #3
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    Published August 08, 2006 12:43 am

    Defensive lineman Pat Williams was cleared to practice with the team Monday.

    [size=18px]Big man back on practice field[/size]
    Pat Williams had been held out for conditioning


    By Chad Courrier
    The Free Press


    MANKATO —
    Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams returned to the practice field Monday morning, and while he wasn’t talking, his teammates were.


    “I don’t feel like talking right now,” Williams said following Monday’s afternoon practice. “I’m not in the mood to talk.”

    Williams fell short of the team’s weight and conditioning goals before training camp began and was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list, meaning he could work out on an adjacent field with a trainer and only watch from the sidelines as his teammates practiced.

    He was activated Monday morning and participated in portions of both practices.

    “It’s great to have the big man in the middle back,” defensive end Kenechi Udeze said. “I love him to death. He’s my roommate, he’s my friend.”

    Williams, who was something of a team spokesman last season, has declined several interview requests in the last week.

    “He energizes us, he’s one of my favorite players,” cornerback Fred Smoot said. “It’s good to have him back in pads, colliding with everybody.”

    Last season, Williams played more of a run-stopping nose guard, starting all 16 games for the fourth consecutive season and led the linemen with 88 tackles, including nine for loss. He was mentioned in the discussion for the Pro Bowl.

    “I think he was a little winded out there,” Udeze said. “He’s still getting his football legs back.”

    Kevin Williams, who plays the opposite defensive tackle, remained out of practice with swelling in his right knee. Spencer Johnson replaced Kevin Williams during Monday’s practice.

    Taylor eases back

    Running back Chester Taylor, who has a sore groin, participated in all of the individual drills but not any of the team periods Monday morning. He’s being worked back slowly because the team has big plans for him.

    “You’d like to get him over 20 carries and have four or five balls through the air,” offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. “If we’re getting him 20 carries, that means we’re doing a great job with the run game.”

    Griffin shows up

    Rookie cornerback Cedric Griffin had an impressive morning practice, breaking up a deep pass and delivering a big hit on receiver Marcus Robinson. In one-on-one drills, receiver Ryan Hoag had gotten behind Griffin, but when the pass was slightly underthrown, Griffin closed quickly to get the breakup.

    Later in seven-on-seven drills, Griffin moved up to the line of scrimmage to bump Robinson, but he hit him hard enough to knock him down.


    “Do you want some peanut butter with that jam?” one of the defensive backs yelled from the sideline.

    Notes

    The big hit of the day was provided by linebacker E.J. Henderson. Fullback Tony Richardson made a short reception across the middle, and as he turned to make a move, Henderson hit him high, knocking Richardson to the ground. ... Cornerback Dovonte Edwards sat out of Saturday’s afternoon practice with a sore left groin. Cornerback Ronyell Whitaker left the morning practice early but was back on the field for afternoon practice with a wrap on his left knee. Whitaker is the nephew of former professional boxer Pernell “Sweet Pea” Whitaker. ... The Vikings had five free agents participate in a workout during the morning practice, and the team signed Ahmad Treaudo, who spent last season on the Atlanta Falcons’ practice squad before being activated for the regular-season finale. The roster spot was open after safety Tank Williams, who suffered a fractured left kneecap during Saturday’s practice, was placed on injured reserve.


    Big man back on practice field

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #4
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    Childress also clarified Williams' role in the defense. In the past, Williams was counted on to handle two gaps. But Childress said Williams will now be mostly responsible for one.

    This is a very very good thing for all you Pat Williams fans.

    "In this defense, when he gets between the center and guard, he's got to control the gap," Childress told KFAN. "It's a gap-responsibility defense

    This is exactly what I am talking about when I talk about Hovan. Gap responsibility defense is a huge part of the game, but not appreciated by fans because it doesn't light up the stat sheet. When he lines up in the Gap between center and Guard look for his numbers to drop. Do not mistake this for poor play however. He is just guarding the gap, opening holes for his teamates to make the play.

    Look for Pat Williams to be able to play more plays by only having to control one gap. Now when he lines up OVER center he will only have to maintain one gap, probably the strong side gap. The other gap will fall to a LB. Before he was lined up over center and maintaining both gaps.

    The new assignment tells us two things:
    A) We are going to be blitzing more inside.
    B) Pat Williams will be able to do more moves then just a bull rush now that he only has one gap.

    So this is a good thing for PW.

  5. #5
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Childress also clarified Williams' role in the defense. In the past, Williams was counted on to handle two gaps. But Childress said Williams will now be mostly responsible for one.

    This is a very very good thing for all you Pat Williams fans.

    "In this defense, when he gets between the center and guard, he's got to control the gap," Childress told KFAN. "It's a gap-responsibility defense

    This is exactly what I am talking about when I talk about Hovan. Gap responsibility defense is a huge part of the game, but not appreciated by fans because it doesn't light up the stat sheet. When he lines up in the Gap between center and Guard look for his numbers to drop. Do not mistake this for poor play however. He is just guarding the gap, opening holes for his teamates to make the play.

    Look for Pat Williams to be able to play more plays by only having to control one gap. Now when he lines up OVER center he will only have to maintain one gap, probably the strong side gap. The other gap will fall to a LB. Before he was lined up over center and maintaining both gaps.

    The new assignment tells us two things:
    A) We are going to be blitzing more inside.
    B) Pat Williams will be able to do more moves then just a bull rush now that he only has one gap.

    So this is a good thing for PW.
    Thanx for the info & insight Del,. It's nice to see someone agree with me about Hovan.

    People are quick to judge how good or poor a defensive lineman is soley based upon how many sacks or tackles they have & that is just not the case.

    If a DL blows a hole through the line & allow a LB to make a play, he's done his job. If he stuffs a hole and it forces a RB to switch his run & he gets tackled for no or minimal gain, he has done his job.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #6
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Childress also clarified Williams' role in the defense. In the past, Williams was counted on to handle two gaps. But Childress said Williams will now be mostly responsible for one.

    This is a very very good thing for all you Pat Williams fans.

    "In this defense, when he gets between the center and guard, he's got to control the gap," Childress told KFAN. "It's a gap-responsibility defense

    This is exactly what I am talking about when I talk about Hovan. Gap responsibility defense is a huge part of the game, but not appreciated by fans because it doesn't light up the stat sheet. When he lines up in the Gap between center and Guard look for his numbers to drop. Do not mistake this for poor play however. He is just guarding the gap, opening holes for his teamates to make the play.

    Look for Pat Williams to be able to play more plays by only having to control one gap. Now when he lines up OVER center he will only have to maintain one gap, probably the strong side gap. The other gap will fall to a LB. Before he was lined up over center and maintaining both gaps.

    The new assignment tells us two things:
    A) We are going to be blitzing more inside.
    B) Pat Williams will be able to do more moves then just a bull rush now that he only has one gap.

    So this is a good thing for PW.
    Thanx for the info & insight Del,. It's nice to see someone agree with me about Hovan.

    People are quick to judge how good or poor a defensive lineman is soley based upon how many sacks or tackles they have & that is just not the case.

    If a DL blows a hole through the line & allow a LB to make a play, he's done his job. If he stuffs a hole and it forces a RB to switch his run & he gets tackled for no or minimal gain, he has done his job.
    Trust me Singer I have been fighting the fight with you the whole way. No one cares about gap assignment though. It looks like Pat Williams will now be spending more time in gap assignment so maybe now that they will see first hand the results with a player they all love it will become clear how important of a role it is.

    It will make the 10 guys around him even better.

  7. #7
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Childress also clarified Williams' role in the defense. In the past, Williams was counted on to handle two gaps. But Childress said Williams will now be mostly responsible for one.

    This is a very very good thing for all you Pat Williams fans.

    "In this defense, when he gets between the center and guard, he's got to control the gap," Childress told KFAN. "It's a gap-responsibility defense

    This is exactly what I am talking about when I talk about Hovan. Gap responsibility defense is a huge part of the game, but not appreciated by fans because it doesn't light up the stat sheet. When he lines up in the Gap between center and Guard look for his numbers to drop. Do not mistake this for poor play however. He is just guarding the gap, opening holes for his teamates to make the play.

    Look for Pat Williams to be able to play more plays by only having to control one gap. Now when he lines up OVER center he will only have to maintain one gap, probably the strong side gap. The other gap will fall to a LB. Before he was lined up over center and maintaining both gaps.

    The new assignment tells us two things:
    A) We are going to be blitzing more inside.
    B) Pat Williams will be able to do more moves then just a bull rush now that he only has one gap.

    So this is a good thing for PW.
    Thanx for the info & insight Del,. It's nice to see someone agree with me about Hovan.

    People are quick to judge how good or poor a defensive lineman is soley based upon how many sacks or tackles they have & that is just not the case.

    If a DL blows a hole through the line & allow a LB to make a play, he's done his job. If he stuffs a hole and it forces a RB to switch his run & he gets tackled for no or minimal gain, he has done his job.
    Trust me Singer I have been fighting the fight with you the whole way. No one cares about gap assignment though. It looks like Pat Williams will now be spending more time in gap assignment so maybe now that they will see first hand the results with a player they all love it will become clear how important of a role it is.

    It will make the 10 guys around him even better.
    And that is precisely how teams win games.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #8
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Childress also clarified Williams' role in the defense. In the past, Williams was counted on to handle two gaps. But Childress said Williams will now be mostly responsible for one.

    This is a very very good thing for all you Pat Williams fans.

    "In this defense, when he gets between the center and guard, he's got to control the gap," Childress told KFAN. "It's a gap-responsibility defense

    This is exactly what I am talking about when I talk about Hovan. Gap responsibility defense is a huge part of the game, but not appreciated by fans because it doesn't light up the stat sheet. When he lines up in the Gap between center and Guard look for his numbers to drop. Do not mistake this for poor play however. He is just guarding the gap, opening holes for his teamates to make the play.

    Look for Pat Williams to be able to play more plays by only having to control one gap. Now when he lines up OVER center he will only have to maintain one gap, probably the strong side gap. The other gap will fall to a LB. Before he was lined up over center and maintaining both gaps.

    The new assignment tells us two things:
    A) We are going to be blitzing more inside.
    B) Pat Williams will be able to do more moves then just a bull rush now that he only has one gap.

    So this is a good thing for PW.
    Nice. Excuse me while I change my shorts.

  9. #9
    Wiggles67's Avatar
    Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    756

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    I will be honest, singer and del, I didnt know what you meant by one gap and two and your explanation makes pefect sense. Here is my only question with Hovan, if he was doing his job and doing it well, making the 10 players around him better. Then why was our D so awful? I mean K Will put up some decnet numbers but thats about it. No one else on our D really stood out and we were constantly at the bottom of the NFL. Am I missing something else here?

    "I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

  10. #10
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pat Williams back to leading D-line

    "Wiggles67" wrote:
    I will be honest, singer and del, I didnt know what you meant by one gap and two and your explanation makes pefect sense. Here is my only question with Hovan, if he was doing his job and doing it well, making the 10 players around him better. Then why was our D so awful? I mean K Will put up some decnet numbers but thats about it. No one else on our D really stood out and we were constantly at the bottom of the NFL. Am I missing something else here?
    When O'leary was here Hovan shined in the gap assignment. The reason is because the system was a forward system. It was aggressive and geared towards attacking the ball. The LB core was solid and talented.

    When Cottrell took over the team turned into a defensive scheme where they were on their heals instead of being the aggressor. In a team like that you need people who can create their own plays. That is why you would hear Mike Tice over and over say Hovan is grading out excellent he just isn't making plays. He actually said he is controlling the gaps but we want more.

    In essence he was saying I want Hovan to be John Randle. I want Hovan to be something he has NEVER been. That is the ONLY reason they like him in Tampa I guarantee it. He playes in a system that is aggressive and he has a great LB core and he excells at maintaining gaps.

    This isn't about Hovan though I was just using it as an example. This is about Pat Williams. He is now going to be used more in gap assignments. So when he is in the gap his stats will go down. When he is over the center he will be even more dangerous. It is a good thing for the Vikings.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings DT Pat Williams Says He Wont Be Back in M
    By marstc09 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
  2. Tank Williams is back!
    By FedjeViking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 10:31 AM
  3. Vikings Developing Solid Back-Up Offensive Line
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 07:36 AM
  4. Ricky williams has "desire" to come back to NFL
    By gpless05 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 10:53 PM
  5. Kevin Williams improving our d line
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 11:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •