Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat Williams

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

Pat Williams

The Unknown Soldier
    By Viking Update Staff
    Date: Jun 27, 2005

Of the numerous players added to the Vikings defense this off-season, Pat Williams was the first and, while forgotten by casual fans in the glut of signings, he may well be the most important signing of all.

In the off-season frenzy that almost refused to let a week go by without a new player being signed by the Vikings, DT Pat Williams may end up being the most important signing the team made.

A 315-pound road grader, Williams gives the Vikings their first true nosetackle of note since Jerry Ball bounced on and off the Metrodome turf. But his significance may well go much deeper than that.

Kevin Williams has become one of the dominant defensive tackles in the game, despite playing alongside a woefully underachieving Chris Hovan -- who is now plying his trade with the Bucs. With Williams now able to command double teams because of his size and strength, it is expected not only to free up Williams to do more damage, but also to allow defensive ends Kenechi Udeze and whomever wins the other starting job to get more one-on-one situations.

It shouldn't come as any surprise that Williams was the first free agent signing the Vikings made this off-season. When you're building a team, you have to start with a strong foundation and few players are bigger or stronger than Williams.

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Pat Williams

Go get em' massive Pat!

vikingdude82 is offline Pro-Bowler

Good article, and it's true

Del Rio Guest

I see it helping the run defense. I would be really surprised if it free's Kevin Williams up on passing plays though.

I still like Spencer, I think him and Pat rotating is going to make the line very solid and very flexible with the different stunts and formations we can run.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

good read... we have the depth at Dline to whatever we want and be successful. if we play a MNF game, our Defensive line will ake the horse trailer.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I see it helping the run defense. I would be really surprised if it free's Kevin Williams up on passing plays though.

I still like Spencer, I think him and Pat rotating is going to make the line very solid and very flexible with the different stunts and formations we can run.
    I think if our offense is still potent and puts us ahead in games we will see plenty of pat in on passing downs since teams will get away from running and start passing more on 1st and 2nd down like in years past. But if our offense cant put up the points that it has in the past then no pat will not be a huge factor in the pass rush. But he should be awsome in run stopping. I cant wait to see him play.

Del Rio Guest

I doubt he will be utilized much on passing plays. I'm not sure though. If we do get ahead I would expect Johnson to see some play time. I do not think Pat can pass rush at 100% too often. I guess his coaches know him best though I'm excited to see how that particular senario pans out.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Good read. Yes, hopefully Pat will open of up things for other players, but it's hard to imagine a team allowing a player like K-Will to no be doubled, but it's also hard to imagine them not doubling Pat. Sounds good to me!
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

He should help us big time.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

coreyd is offline Coach

Any man that is the size of a freakin "Buffalo" (Not the team) is good for the team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast