Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pass the salt

Del Rio Guest

Re: Pass the salt

It's time to put the blame on one guy and sit him. That one guy is Brad Johnson. It is the way football works and it needs to be done weather he deserves it or not is really not the issue.

We need morale, we need a fresh start, and a move will be made.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

2:
    Brad Johnson threw for 262 yards today.
    Out of 44 attempts, only ONE was picked off.
    Yes, it was a crappy floater that probably shouldn't have been thrown...and it was returned for a TD....but that was ONE mistake.
    Other than that, he did about what we all expected from him.
    he took 3 sacks, threw a bunch of balls away, and attempted to move us downfield in a measured fashion.
    Of course, all anyone will remember is the 1 INT.

Further, why is it that every time we need 8 or more yards, we ALWAYS throw to a guy 4 yards out...and pray?
    Sometimes it works...more often it doesn't.
    Seems to me that we were having success with slants and crossing routes...and immediately quite doing it.

Brad Johnson doesn't call the plays.

4:
    Neither #1 nor #3 above change if Brad Johnson isn't the QB
    Caine,

Love your posts but gotta add something here.

I am not totally convinced that what Brad C is calling is being executed by Brad J. What I think is really happening is that Brad J is checking down to the underneath stuff because that is what the defense is giving him.

Defenses have learned that all they have to do is stick with our recievers (who can't seperate or catch by the way) for at least 10-15 yds and Brad will check down.
    This is because, again my belief, that Brad J's arm strength (i.e. Flouter) just isn't there to try to stick a few in tight places.
    Again, result, check down.

I have listened respectfully agreed with the "He needs time" aurgument centered around TJ but I think, if his knee is healed,
    it is time to see what we have.
    My reasoning two fold, do we need to get another QB in Free agency next year as we wait for TJ or is he for real.
    I am still of the belief that game time errors are the best to learn from and a few hickups/misteps won't completely scar him mentally.

Again, respect your posts but had to inject here.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    All I'm saying is how much worse could it get with TJ?
    It could get a lot worse.
    These losses (except for New England) have been winnable games.
    Remember last year, when the early losses were all done by half-time?
    That was MUCH worse.

And that is what I fear we'd get with an untested rookie who's never played a single down of football against top-notch competition.
    At any level.

=Z=
    sooner or later its going to happen, most likely next year, but next year TJ is not going to have any more game experience as he does now

what we need is a WR who can catch a 3rd down pass for a 1st down.....

Big C is offline Coordinator

What we need is a damn WR who can make the clutch catch. Losing Koren, a legitimate #1 WR, hurt the team more than we know. It does not matter who we put at QB if the WRs can't make plays when they count. Troy blew his opportunity this season.

If a change at QB has any hope of restoring morale and giving this offense a boost in the arm, I am all for it. BJ lover or not. Only sad part is that it will
    be Bollinger instead of TJ (I don't think we want to aggrevate the injury). Whatever that works I guess.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Gift" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    Caine
    You're a smart guy caine but i'm tired of "what we should be expecting" from BJ. People can argue how he is a winner or the best option, but when sundays always tell you different it is hard to keep hearing it.
    Someone new atleast offers hope, something i have very little of at this point.
    I'm not calling Brad Johnson a winner....he obviously ISN'T winning, so doing so at this point seems to be a bit "misleading".

I AM calling him the best option, and the only option that makes sense.

If Brooks Bollinger gave us a legitimate shot at winning, he'd be playing.
    Obviously, he doesn't, so he isn't.
    If Tarvaris Jackson was close to being ready, he'd be playing.
    Physically, he brings so much more to the table than Johnson does that it would be insane NOT to start him if he was close....he must not be, because he isn't playing.

At 4-6, our only real shot at a wildcard (Forget catching Chicago, they may lose 2 more games all season and we're already 5 games back) is to run the table...and I doubt we can do that.
    After losing to San Fran, Green Bay, and Miami in consequtive weeks, is there ANY team in the NFL I would favor the Vikes over right now?
    Nope....not a single one.

And it all rides on the OFFENSE as a whole....not just Brad Johnson.

This week, our receivers caught - except that one that Williamson (go figure) droped.
    Once we put in Wittle and Rosenthal, our Line started blocking - things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm".
    Chester was doing well...until he fumbled...twice.

We simply do not have the Receivers to make a quarterback look good.
    No one got open deep.
    And, until we bring in some real receivers with some actual speed and the ability to catch, no one will.
    Of course, running a dink-n-dunk offense, Childress isn't looking for those kinds of people...he wants possession guys.

Taking Brad out and replacing him with Brooks or Tarvaris doesn't change the majority of the problems.
    Maybe we SHOULD give Brooks a shot.
    After all, he's now had 10 weeks to learn our system...and he might actually take a few shots.
    But my expectation for success is very low on that move.
    My expectation of putting in Jackson right now is even lower.

I'm not against benching Brad, I'm against doing so as a knee-jerk reaction and expecting that to cure all the other problems on offense.

Remember, Wilf is the guy who wouldn't pay another QB more than what Brad was getting - that cut our throats on FA QB's.
    We don't have a better QB in the wings because Zygi *I'll spend whatever I have to* Wilf took a page from the Red *diddles Donkeys* McCombs book of team building.
    It's now costing us.

We cut our #1 receiver and lost our #2 due to placing a low tender on him....then we didn't truly replace them (Although Bethel isn't doing too bad).
    There were a handful of quality FA receivers out there, and others that could have been had (Branch springs to mind)...we sat there and watched them go by.
    Meanwhile, our #1 receiver has 11 drops already, our #2 was out for 4 weeks, our #3 is playing like our #1 should but he's all alone, and our TE's were ignored until this week.
    In short, our WR Corps STINKS.

We gave the left side of the line a huge infusion of talent...but ignored the always weak right side.
    Did they think it would miraculously get better?
    It didn't.

We cut our own throats in pre-season.
    We hoped it wouldn't bite us in the kiester...but it did.
    Now we're living with it until after the season.

Of our next 6 games, there is only 1 team we have a real shot at beating...Arizona.
    Other than that, and barring traumatic injury to our opponents, we are underdogs in every other game.

All because we fielded an under talented Offense running an outmoded system.
    And the two people who are REALLY to blame for that?
    Zygi Wilf and Brad Childress.

I'm not a fan of Brad Johnson right now, but I won't torch the guy for mistakes others made.

Caine

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

i would like to see TJ play, the little i saw him in pre-season was refreshing. will it happen this year tho? all signs point to no.

about Koren being a legitimate #1 WR, last year he was not a #1 WR. when he was made #1 WR in seatle he dropped A LOT of balls. i miss him as a returner, but as a #1 WR no love lost, and besides, not like he would be helping right now anyways.

#2 WR Burleson, well look what he has done lately. at least hes home now.

Last year our #1 WR was Travis Taylor with 60 catches and our #2 was Wiggins a TE with 59 catches. so our WR core last year wasnt so hot either.
    Childress maybe trying to make these WRs play better by continueing to give them chances.

Mcmullen has been a surprise to me. i dont know why we dont see him more. i always see him more in the 4th quarter, dont know what the deal is, unless im missing something.

now we could have traded for a couple WR, jerry porter before his relapse in sportsmanship i thought might have been an option. at least he used to be a #1 WR, or a trade for Branch might have been refreshing. but thats history now. our hope rests in williamson learning to catch and maybe another draftpick....like a colston. ofcourse maybe the vikes already have one who hasent gotten much of a chance...we do have a guy named carter, could history repeat itself? carters always do well here,

another surprise to me, as bad as our WRs are and as overhyped our running game is, would it not make more sense to have a higher run percentage? play to your strenghts is what i would think. yeah, whatever its the WCO, but before the season all signs pointed to our running game being the bread and butter of this team.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"Del" wrote:
    It's time to put the blame on one guy and sit him. That one guy is Brad Johnson. It is the way football works and it needs to be done weather he deserves it or not is really not the issue.

We need morale, we need a fresh start, and a move will be made.
    any kind of change is what we need, no matter what it is..just change SOMETHING..but i dont think childress will do that..this is probably johnsons last season here because of the poor team production and the contract issue, which is why i think starting him does nothing more than hold back bollinger or jacksons potential progress, and just makes the guy look bad after a pretty decent career..whatever were doing now isnt working, and theres no quick fix for it, so im not sure why we are just letting it be, rather than trying to better the situation game by game..i dont see playoffs this year, but a strong finish could possibly come from making some sorts of changes along the way, giving us something to build on when next season comes around
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"petrodemos" wrote:
    i would like to see TJ play, the little i saw him in pre-season was refreshing. will it happen this year tho? all signs point to no.

about Koren being a legitimate #1 WR, last year he was not a #1 WR. when he was made #1 WR in seatle he dropped A LOT of balls. i miss him as a returner, but as a #1 WR no love lost, and besides, not like he would be helping right now anyways.

#2 WR Burleson, well look what he has done lately. at least hes home now.

Last year our #1 WR was Travis Taylor with 60 catches and our #2 was Wiggins a TE with 59 catches. so our WR core last year wasnt so hot either.
    Childress maybe trying to make these WRs play better by continueing to give them chances.

Mcmullen has been a surprise to me. i dont know why we dont see him more. i always see him more in the 4th quarter, dont know what the deal is, unless im missing something.

now we could have traded for a couple WR, jerry porter before his relapse in sportsmanship i thought might have been an option. at least he used to be a #1 WR, or a trade for Branch might have been refreshing. but thats history now. our hope rests in williamson learning to catch and maybe another draftpick....like a colston. ofcourse maybe the vikes already have one who hasent gotten much of a chance...we do have a guy named carter, could history repeat itself? carters always do well here,

another surprise to me, as bad as our WRs are and as overhyped our running game is, would it not make more sense to have a higher run percentage? play to your strenghts is what i would think. yeah, whatever its the WCO, but before the season all signs pointed to our running game being the bread and butter of this team.
    another guy who flat out earned his spot and outplayed every receiver on the roster in preseason/training camp, but hasnt been given a shot to play at a spot where everybody stinks
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

AngloVike is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Caine" wrote:
    We cut our #1 receiver and lost our #2 due to placing a low tender on him....then we didn't truly replace them (Although Bethel isn't doing too bad).
    There were a handful of quality FA receivers out there, and others that could have been had (Branch springs to mind)...we sat there and watched them go by.
    Meanwhile, our #1 receiver has 11 drops already, our #2 was out for 4 weeks, our #3 is playing like our #1 should but he's all alone, and our TE's were ignored until this week.
    In short, our WR Corps STINKS.
    The reason with letting other FA receivers passing by is that, at the time, we felt we had a good receiving corps that would fit in with the offensive scheme that Childress was bringing. Taylor had a reasonable year last year and Williamson was expected to get over his poor first year.Trouble is that Williamson hasn't got over that first year and the remaining receivers have not been seeing the passes that they'd like to see - partly due to the QB's arm strength which has been discussed at great length - and also due to some of the play calling that has occurred.

I'll be interested to see how we approach FA in terms of going after receivers and also to see how many of the better FA receivers available ask their agents to approach Minnesota - as I think that it will be very inviting for players to come to despite the current misfires.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

What about pepsi machine? He made some nice grabs in training camp and some were comparing him to Reggie Bush.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast