Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Pass-Rush Profile: Jared Allen

The third player to get the PFF treatment in our Pass-Rush Profile series is the Vikings' Jared Allen. Sam Monson takes a look at the impact the star player has had on the Vikings' pass rush, and how his 2009 season stacks up against the league's elite...
    A few interesting stats from our good friends at Profootball focus.
    Here is some ammo for all of you who tout that Ray gets his only because of the other 3.....

Interestingly, Allen's teammate Edwards was one of the players able to bring more total pressure than Allen. Despite only 9 sacks, Edwards led the league among defensive ends in hits on the quarterback last season, and was able to match Allen in pressures.

Where the two players differ, however, is in the percentage of pressure each player recorded without being blocked. dwards generated 24.24 percent of his total pressure unblocked, compared to the league average of just under 15 percent. By contrast, Allen only recorded 12.5 percent of his pressure unblocked, lending weight to the idea that Edwards benefits plentifully from the other players on the Minnesota defensive line.

Allen beat a block to get pressure on the passer once every 10.02 plays, Edwards every 10.2 plays. Compared to the rest of the league, both of these marks are good, but neither is amongst the elite.
    The criticism that was levelled at Allen at times last season is that he would disappear in some games and explode in others, and looking at his numbers on a game-by-game basis, that criticism has some merit to it. Though Allen consistently brought pressure (he was shut out in only two out of 18 games including the playoffs -- once by Joe Thomas), he did generate a massive 8 of his sacks in the two games against Green Bay, which accounted for 23.4 percent of his total pressure on the season.
    On a side note.....

In both seasons since Allen has topped 15 sacks, and with the emergence of Ray Edwards on the opposite side, the Vikings' front four is now one of the most feared pass-rushing units in the NFL.
    Notice the word "Four" and not the word "Three".....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Pass-Rush Profile: Jared Allen

Marrdro wrote:
    The third player to get the PFF treatment in our Pass-Rush Profile series is the Vikings' Jared Allen. Sam Monson takes a look at the impact the star player has had on the Vikings' pass rush, and how his 2009 season stacks up against the league's elite...
    Here is some ammo for all of you who tout that Ray gets his only because of the other 3.....

Interestingly, Allen's teammate Edwards was one of the players able to bring more total pressure than Allen. Despite only 9 sacks, Edwards led the league among defensive ends in hits on the quarterback last season, and was able to match Allen in pressures.

Where the two players differ, however, is in the percentage of pressure each player recorded without being blocked. dwards generated 24.24 percent of his total pressure unblocked, compared to the league average of just under 15 percent. By contrast, Allen only recorded 12.5 percent of his pressure unblocked, lending weight to the idea that Edwards benefits plentifully from the other players on the Minnesota defensive line.

Allen beat a block to get pressure on the passer once every 10.02 plays, Edwards every 10.2 plays. Compared to the rest of the league, both of these marks are good, but neither is amongst the elite.
    The criticism that was levelled at Allen at times last season is that he would disappear in some games and explode in others, and looking at his numbers on a game-by-game basis, that criticism has some merit to it. Though Allen consistently brought pressure (he was shut out in only two out of 18 games including the playoffs -- once by Joe Thomas), he did generate a massive 8 of his sacks in the two games against Green Bay, which accounted for 23.4 percent of his total pressure on the season.
    On a side note.....

In both seasons since Allen has topped 15 sacks, and with the emergence of Ray Edwards on the opposite side, the Vikings' front four is now one of the most feared pass-rushing units in the NFL.
    Resist the urge... No good will come of it....

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

On a side note.....

Did you read the article. Actually has alot of stuff to refute some of my stances of late.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

On a side note.....

Did you read the article. Actually has alot of stuff to refute some of my stances of late.
    workin on it now.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

On a side note.....

workin on it now.
    Perfect example of how to get me to change my tune.

Blog Entries

"Edwards generated 24.24 percent of his total pressure unblocked, compared to the league average of just under 15 percent. By contrast, Allen only recorded 12.5 percent of his pressure unblocked, lending weight to the idea that Edwards benefits plentifully from the other players on the Minnesota defensive line."

Interesting bit of info here.

i_bleed_purple wrote:

"Edwards generated 24.24 percent of his total pressure unblocked, compared to the league average of just under 15 percent. By contrast, Allen only recorded 12.5 percent of his pressure unblocked, lending weight to the idea that Edwards benefits plentifully from the other players on the Minnesota defensive line."

Didn't I post that?

What about this?

And this....

Would could almost make those two into a good discussion that after his showing in the playoffs (not part of these stats) that the number of double teams will go up a bit next year.

Not me of course, but someone could.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Didn't I post that?

What about this?

And this....

Would could almost make those two into a good discussion that after his showing in the playoffs (not part of these stats) that the number of double teams will go up a bit next year.

I think we have established that there are two sides to this discussion. No need to beat a dead horse.

Interesting side note, Leslie Frazier in this months Sporting News describes the responsibilities of both Ends:

RDE (Allen): The prerequisite is running fast off that edge rushing the passer. Height and weight are not as important as the burst he has.

LDE (Edwards): We count on him to handle tight ends and offensive tackles and set the tone for us in our run defense as well as be in position to rush the passer.

Some posters gave me a hard time about emphasizing Ray's contribution stopping the run, but, I have to give credit to Ray was for his run defense, just saying, I am impressed he was able to do that and put up good numbers as a Pass Rusher.
    None

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

bsmithberkley wrote:
    I think we have established that there are two sides to this discussion. No need to beat a dead horse.
    If we didn't beat dead horses on PPO, this place would be quieter than Rosie O'Donnell's bedroom.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Didn't I post that?

What about this?

And this....

Interesting side note, Leslie Frazier in this months Sporting News describes the responsibilities of both Ends:

RDE (Allen): The prerequisite is running fast off that edge rushing the passer. Height and weight are not as important as the burst he has.

LDE (Edwards): We count on him to handle tight ends and offensive tackles and set the tone for us in our run defense as well as be in position to rush the passer.

Some posters gave me a hard time about emphasizing Ray's contribution stopping the run, but, I have to give credit to Ray was for his run defense, just saying, I am impressed he was able to do that and put up good numbers as a Pass Rusher.
    We have had several good discussions with respect to the difference between the RDE and a LDE in our base 4-3 defensive sets.

As to being impressed, I was against moving him over at LDE, but much to my suprise, he has held up to the extra weight and rigors associated with that side.

On a side note, I was pleasantly suprised to see the staff draft a true LDE this year and think that how he does this year will drive Rays future with this team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast