Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I agree with your statement PF, but that has nothing to do with what I said.
    If a team had an AD or CJ They would likely rely on them to control the clock and beat up the other teams D. Don't you think Brady, or especially Rodgers after the beatings he has taken would love to have AD to give the ball to 25-30 times a game? Less hits on them. A strong running game also keeps your own Defense fresh, and offensive linemen seem to enjoy run blocking far more than pass blocking. Almost any coach would prefer to be able to control the game that way, but few have that option. Of course there are exceptions to that, but most stress the need for a strong run game.
    Of course it is not working well for us yet as we have an oline that has not performed up to expectations.
    In theory maybe, but it looks to me like they are using the short passes to replace the running game and spreading the defense out looks like it actually has been reducing the pressure on the QB because the defense can't crowd the LOS or the QB picks them apart.

I would like to think that it is still possible to buck the trend and nothing would make me happier than to see us line up with 2-3 TE's every play and pound the living sh!t out of the opponents but I just don't know if it is going to happen and if the other team does jump out on us then we can't make it up on the ground.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am sorry but I disagree. If you have a choice of 4 players and those players are Brady, Rodgers,CJ and AP to build a team around Brady and Rodgers will go 1-2 every time.
    And you don't pay those QB's with that talent a shit load of money to hand the ball off.

You surround them with good to great WR's.

The NFL life of a RB is about 6 years. The NFL life of a WR far exceeds that. There are a lot more great receivers in the NFL than there are RB's, It's easier & more efficient to get a bigger ROI with WR's than RB's.

In today's salary cap market the pass-happy league is the most feasible bang for your buck.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    We have a hall of fame back. Of course we are going to be a run first team. That doesn't mean that we can't utilize a solid play-action gameplan with a steady passing game. Why be a pass-happy team just because it's trendy? We have to use our weapons. Or in this case, our WEAPON (singular).

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Why be a pass-happy team just because it's trendy?
    Probably because pass-happy teams are winning Super Bowls.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Probably because pass-happy teams are winning Super Bowls.
    I mean, those teams have All-Pro quarterbacks. I'd be all for the pass-happy offense if we had one of those. But we don't. And you don't just pull them out of thin air. And you can't just trade for one or pick one up in FA. We have an All-Pro RB, so we will obviously be run-first. Until we get an All-Pro QB, it is totally pointless to have a pass-happy offense. Especially when you have the best RB in the league.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I'd be quite happy if the trend continues. Pass-happy offenses make for pass-heavy defenses. The more that teams have to build to defend the pass, the more our run-heavy approach will benefit.

It's all action and reaction. If you time it right, you can take great advantage of the other guys trending away from what you do very well.

In the end though, it still really all comes down to balance. Even the best passing teams have to have some rushing to keep the defenses honest. Just like it happens the other way around. You can favor one approach or the other, but you still have to at least try occasionally to do both.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Surely an explosive O line benefits both sides of the attacking system, passing and running!
    A good O line gives a mediocre QB more time and a mediocre RB bigger holes. Replace them with above average players and we can air it or pass it when ever it's needed.

Even if we are in a position to take Luck (and we won't ) we should trade it away for more picks for the O line and lets start building from there. Does a team always have to be built around a QB?
    Purple till i die

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    I mean, those teams have All-Pro quarterbacks. I'd be all for the pass-happy offense if we had one of those. But we don't. And you don't just pull them out of thin air. And you can't just trade for one or pick one up in FA. We have an All-Pro RB, so we will obviously be run-first. Until we get an All-Pro QB, it is totally pointless to have a pass-happy offense. Especially when you have the best RB in the league.
    Funny how both of the QB's I listed were on the board when we drafted. We wouldn't have had to pull them out of thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    I'd be quite happy if the trend continues. Pass-happy offenses make for pass-heavy defenses. The more that teams have to build to defend the pass, the more our run-heavy approach will benefit.
    I disagree with that 100%. A pass happy defense, means faster LB's & DB's. When you put them in the box/bring them in close to contain the run, TE's & WR's not going deep have a harder time getting open since everyone's contained in a smaller space. RB's are contained more as well.

The way to get the most yards/production out of your RB is to stretch the defense. The way to stretch the defense is by having a passing game that does exactly that. If you don't have WR's stretching the defense, trying to pass inside the box or short where all the defenders are isn't going to reap benefits.

If you're only star is at RB & you don't have a passing game, teams will key in on the RB & will be able to keep him in check.

If you have a star at RB & another one or two at the WR positions, along with a passing game that can & does go deep, defenders now have to defend both the run & the pass thereby stretching the defense. Now your star RB has less people trying to contain him & has a better chance of breaking some runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_The_Viking View Post
    Surely an explosive O line benefits both sides of the attacking system, passing and running!
    A good O line gives a mediocre QB more time and a mediocre RB bigger holes. Replace them with above average players and we can air it or pass it when ever it's needed.
    Even with more time, we still don't have a deep threat. Berrian, if he gets open, doesn't have good enough hands & ends up not catching the pass.

He falls somewhere in between Troy Williamson & Quadry Ismail.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast