Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 171
  1. #21
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    T-Will will probably get his shots here and there. What he does with those opportunities will decide his future.

  2. #22
    vikes2456's Avatar
    vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,656

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    Ya our pass D is pretty horid, no way of getting around that. Granted teams pass against us more than any other team, but that does not hide the fact that we are unable to stop the pass, even against a rookie QB. That being said, I think it's not entirely the corners fault, a lot of the time when I watch/listen to a game the QB has all day to pass the ball. giving the receivers a huge advantage. I'm hoping Childress will go all out this free agency, because with a couple more good players this D will be beastly

  3. #23
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "vikes2456" wrote:
    Ya our pass D is pretty horid, no way of getting around that. Granted teams pass against us more than any other team, but that does not hide the fact that we are unable to stop the pass, even against a rookie QB. That being said, I think it's not entirely the corners fault, a lot of the time when I watch/listen to a game the QB has all day to pass the ball. giving the receivers a huge advantage. I'm hoping Childress will go all out this free agency, because with a couple more good players this D will be beastly
    Yes, what has been intact for the past 3 years and stinks like mad, it is our D line.

    We had one season where K-Wil blew up and the rest seems well below average.

    Johnstone was our leading guy for like 3 years.

    Pressure up front would be nice.
    Yesterday, we had guys flying past the QB.
    The pocket wasn't being blown up at all, putting pressure on our guys down field to defend the pass.

  4. #24
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    3.
    Smoot just plain stinks.
    Yes, I have jumped on the banwagon.
    I have tried to stay positive with him and stick up for him but I have now turned the corner.
    His cushions are way to big therefore he gives up the 7 yard pass or an even longer pass because because he can't do anything to alter a WRs route.
    Plus, his tackling flat out stinks.
    I learned in 3rd grade to wrap your arms.
    I don't think I've ever seen him do that.
    He uses his shoulder on every play to try and tackle tremendous athletes at 220+ lbs.
    Yep, knew this was coming.
    I saw a thread about pass defense, and thought "Someone is going to complain about Smoot".
    Didn't take long. : Just curious, did everyone watch the same game I did yesterday's?
    With the exception of the pass interference call, Smoot played a good came in the nickel slot.
    The only time he played off was when the other CBs played off too.
    But I guess that doesn't matter... because it's Smoot.
    Maybe we should credit the fumble recovery to Winfield or someone too while we're at it. ;D

    Anyway, I noticed we played a lot less zone and a lot more man yesterday than normal, and our defense did a pretty good job over all.
    AZ didn't score an offensive touchdown until late in the fourth quarter.
    All in all I am happy with yesterday's game.
    Now if we can just do it again against Chicago...
    At this moment if I had to single out a single position it would be the LB position. They are slacking in both coverage and tackles. You don't want your CB leading your team in tackles. That being said Smoot got outplayed and is now a Nickle back. Much like Brian Williams was when we got Smoot so you have to ask yourself was it worth it for a Nickle back? I don't think so.
    I am not arguing that he got outplayed.
    He is now the nickel back, and we are paying him too much to be a nickel back.
    I was just laughing at the fact that every time someone mentions problems with our team, someone will blame Smoot, regardless of how well he plays.
    He had a good game yesterday.
    A better game than Griffin.

    I agree that Winfield shouldn't be leading the team in tackles.
    He had 13 tackles yesterday.
    Griffin was the next closest with 6!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #25
    UndisputedVike's Avatar
    UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    748

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    : Knew it wouldn't be long before Smoot bashers reared their heads. Once again Smoot was in Nickel, he didn't start the game, Griffin did and if I'm not mistaken Smoot batted down a few balls as well, 1 saving a TD.

    Smoot played very well today, I think people now are just bashing Smoot for sport and just to be funny.

  6. #26
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    3.
    Smoot just plain stinks.
    Yes, I have jumped on the banwagon.
    I have tried to stay positive with him and stick up for him but I have now turned the corner.
    His cushions are way to big therefore he gives up the 7 yard pass or an even longer pass because because he can't do anything to alter a WRs route.
    Plus, his tackling flat out stinks.
    I learned in 3rd grade to wrap your arms.
    I don't think I've ever seen him do that.
    He uses his shoulder on every play to try and tackle tremendous athletes at 220+ lbs.
    Yep, knew this was coming.
    I saw a thread about pass defense, and thought "Someone is going to complain about Smoot".
    Didn't take long. : Just curious, did everyone watch the same game I did yesterday's?
    With the exception of the pass interference call, Smoot played a good came in the nickel slot.
    The only time he played off was when the other CBs played off too.
    But I guess that doesn't matter... because it's Smoot.
    Maybe we should credit the fumble recovery to Winfield or someone too while we're at it. ;D

    Anyway, I noticed we played a lot less zone and a lot more man yesterday than normal, and our defense did a pretty good job over all.
    AZ didn't score an offensive touchdown until late in the fourth quarter.
    All in all I am happy with yesterday's game.
    Now if we can just do it again against Chicago...
    At this moment if I had to single out a single position it would be the LB position. They are slacking in both coverage and tackles. You don't want your CB leading your team in tackles. That being said Smoot got outplayed and is now a Nickle back. Much like Brian Williams was when we got Smoot so you have to ask yourself was it worth it for a Nickle back? I don't think so.
    I am not arguing that he got outplayed.
    He is now the nickel back, and we are paying him too much to be a nickel back.
    I was just laughing at the fact that every time someone mentions problems with our team, someone will blame Smoot, regardless of how well he plays.
    He had a good game yesterday.
    A better game than Griffin.

    I agree that Winfield shouldn't be leading the team in tackles.
    He had 13 tackles yesterday.
    Griffin was the next closest with 6!
    All I am saying is the guy certainly isn't doing much to help his standing here in Minnesota he is going to have people calling for his head.

  7. #27
    UndisputedVike's Avatar
    UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    748

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    3.
    Smoot just plain stinks.
    Yes, I have jumped on the banwagon.
    I have tried to stay positive with him and stick up for him but I have now turned the corner.
    His cushions are way to big therefore he gives up the 7 yard pass or an even longer pass because because he can't do anything to alter a WRs route.
    Plus, his tackling flat out stinks.
    I learned in 3rd grade to wrap your arms.
    I don't think I've ever seen him do that.
    He uses his shoulder on every play to try and tackle tremendous athletes at 220+ lbs.
    Yep, knew this was coming.
    I saw a thread about pass defense, and thought "Someone is going to complain about Smoot".
    Didn't take long. : Just curious, did everyone watch the same game I did yesterday's?
    With the exception of the pass interference call, Smoot played a good came in the nickel slot.
    The only time he played off was when the other CBs played off too.
    But I guess that doesn't matter... because it's Smoot.
    Maybe we should credit the fumble recovery to Winfield or someone too while we're at it. ;D

    Anyway, I noticed we played a lot less zone and a lot more man yesterday than normal, and our defense did a pretty good job over all.
    AZ didn't score an offensive touchdown until late in the fourth quarter.
    All in all I am happy with yesterday's game.
    Now if we can just do it again against Chicago...
    At this moment if I had to single out a single position it would be the LB position. They are slacking in both coverage and tackles. You don't want your CB leading your team in tackles. That being said Smoot got outplayed and is now a Nickle back. Much like Brian Williams was when we got Smoot so you have to ask yourself was it worth it for a Nickle back? I don't think so.
    I am not arguing that he got outplayed.
    He is now the nickel back, and we are paying him too much to be a nickel back.
    I was just laughing at the fact that every time someone mentions problems with our team, someone will blame Smoot, regardless of how well he plays.
    He had a good game yesterday.
    A better game than Griffin.

    I agree that Winfield shouldn't be leading the team in tackles.
    He had 13 tackles yesterday.
    Griffin was the next closest with 6!
    All I am saying is the guy certainly isn't doing much to help his standing here in Minnesota he is going to have people calling for his head.
    Well no offence but...what the hell do you expect the guy to do...tell Wilf to cancel his contract give all his money back and ride off into the sunset?

    I mean for cripes sake everyone uses Smoot as a flippn' scapegoat it's really annoying.

  8. #28
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "UndisputedVike" wrote:

    I mean for cripes sake everyone uses Smoot as a flippn' scapegoat it's really annoying.
    Problem is Smoot has let down a lot of people by not playing up to expectations.
    When he gets paid like he did, that mean he is supposed to be good or close to the best.
    With big dollars come high expectations.
    He was simply a benefactor of the Redskins D apparently.

    Crap happens sometimes.

  9. #29
    UndisputedVike's Avatar
    UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    748

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "UndisputedVike" wrote:

    I mean for cripes sake everyone uses Smoot as a flippn' scapegoat it's really annoying.
    Problem is Smoot has let down a lot of people by not playing up to expectations.
    When he gets paid like he did, that mean he is supposed to be good or close to the best.
    With big dollars come high expectations.
    He was simply a benefactor of the Redskins D apparently.

    Crap happens sometimes.
    I understand that, he's really only had 2 bad games. Carolina game last year and Buffalo this year, other than that he has been solid if not a little better. My whole issue is exactly what Nodak said, despite how well he plays there is always a bunch of people bashing Smoot for no reason.

    So the next time Smoot allows 2 TD's a bunch of yards like he did against Smith then you can bash him all you want but when he's doing his job and it's not him costing us the game then nobody has any right to bash him.

  10. #30
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "UndisputedVike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=ejmat link=topic=29443.msg501922#msg501922 date=1164630307]
    3.
    Smoot just plain stinks.
    Yes, I have jumped on the banwagon.
    I have tried to stay positive with him and stick up for him but I have now turned the corner.
    His cushions are way to big therefore he gives up the 7 yard pass or an even longer pass because because he can't do anything to alter a WRs route.
    Plus, his tackling flat out stinks.
    I learned in 3rd grade to wrap your arms.
    I don't think I've ever seen him do that.
    He uses his shoulder on every play to try and tackle tremendous athletes at 220+ lbs.
    Yep, knew this was coming.
    I saw a thread about pass defense, and thought "Someone is going to complain about Smoot".
    Didn't take long. : Just curious, did everyone watch the same game I did yesterday's?
    With the exception of the pass interference call, Smoot played a good came in the nickel slot.
    The only time he played off was when the other CBs played off too.
    But I guess that doesn't matter... because it's Smoot.
    Maybe we should credit the fumble recovery to Winfield or someone too while we're at it. ;D

    Anyway, I noticed we played a lot less zone and a lot more man yesterday than normal, and our defense did a pretty good job over all.
    AZ didn't score an offensive touchdown until late in the fourth quarter.
    All in all I am happy with yesterday's game.
    Now if we can just do it again against Chicago...
    At this moment if I had to single out a single position it would be the LB position. They are slacking in both coverage and tackles. You don't want your CB leading your team in tackles. That being said Smoot got outplayed and is now a Nickle back. Much like Brian Williams was when we got Smoot so you have to ask yourself was it worth it for a Nickle back? I don't think so.
    I am not arguing that he got outplayed.
    He is now the nickel back, and we are paying him too much to be a nickel back.
    I was just laughing at the fact that every time someone mentions problems with our team, someone will blame Smoot, regardless of how well he plays.
    He had a good game yesterday.
    A better game than Griffin.

    I agree that Winfield shouldn't be leading the team in tackles.
    He had 13 tackles yesterday.
    Griffin was the next closest with 6!
    All I am saying is the guy certainly isn't doing much to help his standing here in Minnesota he is going to have people calling for his head.
    Well no offence but...what the hell do you expect the guy to do...tell Wilf to cancel his contract give all his money back and ride off into the sunset?

    I mean for cripes sake everyone uses Smoot as a flippn' scapegoat it's really annoying.
    [/quote]

    No I expect the Vikings to do exactly what they did. Demote him to Nickle back. His play was piss poor. The coaches saw that, moved him down to arguably the easiest DB position in the game.

    The thing is the guy is getting shutdown corner money. So yeah BOO fricken HOO, cry all you want but fans have more then enough reasons to dislike the guy. He brought it all on himself. All he can do now is string together some solid games playing in the easiest DB position in the game and try to win some fans back.

    It's on him not the fans. Sorry I can't get excited over my team paying a Nickleback that much money. Did he have a good game sure he did. He better have a whole hell of a lot more games like that too playing in that position.

    Sorry you don't get demoted to Nickleback because you only had two bad games.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pass Rushing Defense
    By ndobney in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 06:05 AM
  2. anyone worried about our pass defense?
    By hawaiianvike21 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
  3. Pass Defense
    By Schutz in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
  4. Why does everyone rip our pass defense ?
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
  5. vikings #1 pass defense???
    By TheAnimal93 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •