Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 171
  1. #11
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "singersp" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:
    OK enough is enough.Our pass defense is not terrible so stop saying it over and over and over....The only reason teams rack up the passing yards on us is because they give up running the ball.Thats what you get when you are the top rushing defense in the league!The card ran in only 5 times today!Leinhart threw it FIFTY ONE TIMES! 51! OF COARSE HE IS GONNA GET A LOT OF YARDS!
    I'll say it again, our pass defense is terrible. We do not get enough pressure on the QB & teams seem to be successfully throwing 10-15 yard passes on us at will.

    Whether it's 20 or 50 times a game, they are moving the chains time & time again. I may be mistaken, but I believe the Cardinals never even punted yesterday.

    They don't seem to tighten up the coverage until our opponents are in the redzone.

    How often this year have we held a team to a 3 & out?
    I agree Singer.
    The pass defense is a problem and here's why:

    1.
    Minimal pressure on the QB.
    The QBs have had time to throw the ball.
    This may be because the linemen are getting tired chasing the QB EVERY single play.
    This also takes Pat Williams out of the game.

    2.
    The LBs are quick and fast.
    This usually means they are not covering LBs.
    Hence, the passes in the middle of the field between 7-20 yards.
    Not only that but they end up trying to blitz a lot and
    that tires them out too.

    3.
    Smoot just plain stinks.
    Yes, I have jumped on the banwagon.
    I have tried to stay positive with him and stick up for him but I have now turned the corner.
    His cushions are way to big therefore he gives up the 7 yard pass or an even longer pass because because he can't do anything to alter a WRs route.
    Plus, his tackling flat out stinks.
    I learned in 3rd grade to wrap your arms.
    I don't think I've ever seen him do that.
    He uses his shoulder on every play to try and tackle tremendous athletes at 220+ lbs.

    4.
    Sharper has been taken out of his game.
    If you notice they don't pass much his way.
    Also There's no way he can make up for the lack of coverage skills when other teams throw this much.

    I think we have a couple of bright sides.
    I think Winfield has had his best season thus far in the NFL but he's another one that gives up a lot of catches in front of him.
    He's a good tackler and makes plays but still gives up the catches.
    Griffin will be a good player.
    IMO, the best cover guy on the team but the fact is he is still a rookie.

  2. #12
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    Sorry the pass defense is horrible. It has been all year long. Even when teams were still trying to run. The zone is horrible, the pass pressure is in question and any time you can make a team one dimensional then you have absolutely no excuse for getting numbers run up on you.

    If they can't run and you know they have to pass that favors you not them.

    It needs lots of work.

  3. #13
    PurplePumpkin's Avatar
    PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    418

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    Someone said this earlier at PPO.
    Why not let Tomlin have TWill he could be just what our secondary needs?

  4. #14
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "Del" wrote:
    Sorry the pass defense is horrible. It has been all year long. Even when teams were still trying to run. The zone is horrible, the pass pressure is in question and any time you can make a team one dimensional then you have absolutely no excuse for getting numbers run up on you.

    If they can't run and you know they have to pass that favors you not them.

    It needs lots of work.
    If you were coaching the D, what would you do?
    What do you think Tomlin is doing to make things better in the secondary?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #15
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "Acumen" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Sorry the pass defense is horrible. It has been all year long. Even when teams were still trying to run. The zone is horrible, the pass pressure is in question and any time you can make a team one dimensional then you have absolutely no excuse for getting numbers run up on you.

    If they can't run and you know they have to pass that favors you not them.

    It needs lots of work.
    If you were coaching the D, what would you do?
    What do you think Tomlin is doing to make things better in the secondary?
    From what I have seen he can't do much. In order for it to improve he would need to change his whole system and I don't think he will do that.

    Honest to god, I would go into a 3-4 when they started gunning and force them to run.

  6. #16
    MediaLoca is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    132

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.


    [/quote]

    From what I have seen he can't do much. In order for it to improve he would need to change his whole system and I don't think he will do that.

    Honest to god, I would go into a 3-4 when they started gunning and force them to run.
    [/quote]

    Heath Farwell anyone.

    Ha!

    Actually, it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

  7. #17
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "ejmat" wrote:
    3.
    Smoot just plain stinks.
    Yes, I have jumped on the banwagon.
    I have tried to stay positive with him and stick up for him but I have now turned the corner.
    His cushions are way to big therefore he gives up the 7 yard pass or an even longer pass because because he can't do anything to alter a WRs route.
    Plus, his tackling flat out stinks.
    I learned in 3rd grade to wrap your arms.
    I don't think I've ever seen him do that.
    He uses his shoulder on every play to try and tackle tremendous athletes at 220+ lbs.
    Yep, knew this was coming.
    I saw a thread about pass defense, and thought "Someone is going to complain about Smoot".
    Didn't take long. : Just curious, did everyone watch the same game I did yesterday's?
    With the exception of the pass interference call, Smoot played a good came in the nickel slot.
    The only time he played off was when the other CBs played off too.
    But I guess that doesn't matter... because it's Smoot.
    Maybe we should credit the fumble recovery to Winfield or someone too while we're at it. ;D

    Anyway, I noticed we played a lot less zone and a lot more man yesterday than normal, and our defense did a pretty good job over all.
    AZ didn't score an offensive touchdown until late in the fourth quarter.
    All in all I am happy with yesterday's game.
    Now if we can just do it again against Chicago...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #18
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    3.
    Smoot just plain stinks.
    Yes, I have jumped on the banwagon.
    I have tried to stay positive with him and stick up for him but I have now turned the corner.
    His cushions are way to big therefore he gives up the 7 yard pass or an even longer pass because because he can't do anything to alter a WRs route.
    Plus, his tackling flat out stinks.
    I learned in 3rd grade to wrap your arms.
    I don't think I've ever seen him do that.
    He uses his shoulder on every play to try and tackle tremendous athletes at 220+ lbs.
    Yep, knew this was coming.
    I saw a thread about pass defense, and thought "Someone is going to complain about Smoot".
    Didn't take long. : Just curious, did everyone watch the same game I did yesterday's?
    With the exception of the pass interference call, Smoot played a good came in the nickel slot.
    The only time he played off was when the other CBs played off too.
    But I guess that doesn't matter... because it's Smoot.
    Maybe we should credit the fumble recovery to Winfield or someone too while we're at it. ;D

    Anyway, I noticed we played a lot less zone and a lot more man yesterday than normal, and our defense did a pretty good job over all.
    AZ didn't score an offensive touchdown until late in the fourth quarter.
    All in all I am happy with yesterday's game.
    Now if we can just do it again against Chicago...
    At this moment if I had to single out a single position it would be the LB position. They are slacking in both coverage and tackles. You don't want your CB leading your team in tackles. That being said Smoot got outplayed and is now a Nickle back. Much like Brian Williams was when we got Smoot so you have to ask yourself was it worth it for a Nickle back? I don't think so.

  9. #19
    PurplePumpkin's Avatar
    PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    418

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    It is clear that offense has given up on TWill

    A WR that cant catch is not going to go anywhere in NFL.

    Why not let Tomlin take TWill... with his speed he maybe just what our secondary needs.
    Converting a WR into a CB shouldnt be that hard of a transition?
    Its possible he could be very good at it...
    Maybe I'm grasping at straws here ,
    but sitting on the bench aint gonna help either.

  10. #20
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Pass defense is not as bad as everyone thinks.

    "PurplePumpkin" wrote:
    It is clear that offense has given up on TWill

    A WR that cant catch is not going to go anywhere in NFL.

    Why not let Tomlin take TWill... with his speed he maybe just what our secondary needs.
    Converting a WR into a CB shouldnt be that hard of a transition?
    Its possible he could be very good at it...
    Maybe I'm grasping at straws here ,
    but sitting on the bench aint gonna help either.
    You hear it all the time.
    "There is so much talent in the NFL.
    At this level you have to do what you do right or you will be replaced."

    With that being said, it is hardly worth the time to turn Twill into something he is not.
    Someone like Gordon who has been playing both ways and seems to be a natural athlete would be worth the effort. IMO.


    To play D, you have to want to hit, you have to love it.
    I find it hard to believe that Twill wants to hit anything except the shower.

    I wish we had a place for him on the team where he could help.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pass Rushing Defense
    By ndobney in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 06:05 AM
  2. anyone worried about our pass defense?
    By hawaiianvike21 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
  3. Pass Defense
    By Schutz in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
  4. Why does everyone rip our pass defense ?
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
  5. vikings #1 pass defense???
    By TheAnimal93 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •