Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pass Defense

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Pass Defense

"Frostbite" wrote:
    The pass defense was great because of the heat on Rivers. You saw a few times when we only rushed 4 he stood in and made the completions down field. I was a little surprised we only had the one pick....as Rivers usually makes more errant throws under pressure than that.

We seemed to have everythng well planned out defensively and the Players really executed. Rivers also under threw recievers on a couple of TD throws because he was hurried.

Everything worked today...what else can you say. This was such a fun game to watch on both sides of the ball.

Cheers!
    Nice Frost,we have been playing some prevent D in most of tha games and that conservative way hasn´t worked at all,we must pressure any given QB with 8 in the box,that will cause fumbles,int and sacks,that will also cause some 1-1 on deep with some TD,but that´s okey for me,If we continue with
    that blitz this colud be the best defense in the entire league,we have nothing to lose at this point ,so go for all.
    El underdog.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Definantly a enjoyable game. Offense and Defense came to play. We were very physical and controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides. AD is awesome, Brooks looked good and so did Tarvaris before he got hurt. That was a scary moment. T-Jack was playing really well, possibly the best he's play'd all year. Nice throws and scrambled when it was there. I hope it's not serious, it was good to see him on the sidelines with a smile.

Pass defense really stepped up also, we kept Rivers off balance all day, and Gates only caught like 1 pass. EJ is a beast, McCauley really showed well, as did Griffin. Dwight Smith showed good burst to the ball. Cause they had some chances, but we pressured the QB, and recovered well in the secondary.

The only goof was that 109 yrd return on that missed field goal. We showed some grit and didn't go in the tank after that, and that is the sign of a fighter. Now lets build on this and keep the momentum.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I am seeing a re-occuring theme and that is we did something drastic this week on D that made us better when in fact we did the same things.

Why were we successfull this week and not on others........

a.
    We faced a young QB who had a bad Center trying to make line calls on the blitz.
    b.
    We mixed our LB blitzes up on were they were coming from between Leber and EJ.
    Nothing new there.
    We have been doing that mostly since game 2 or 3 and very aggressive with EJ at the line.
    If you remember we got burned by KC, GB and Dallas up the middle on that.
    What was the difference?
    See item (a).
    QB play wasn't as good IMHO.
    c.
    We still played predominatly a cover 2 scheme with man press when we did an allout blitz.
    Again, nothing new here.
    Why the difference in results.
    Again, see Item (a).
    Chad had some great chucks on Gates and then Gordon stuck with him on the routes that I watched just long enough to make Rivers shift to another target.
    d.
    Several times or Secondary was burned and Rivers had Recievers open but couldn't get the ball to them.
    The pressure that the DL put on the QB caused him to move around, (he doesn't throw well on the move) as well as made him throw off his back foot several times instead of being able to step up.

I would like to mention one thing I did see that is a change that has nothing to do with the scheme.
    Tank and Dwight made some great playes at safety along with Gordon, Griff and McCauley stepping up and having an almost flawless game.

I also saw more DL players rotating in and out.
    That, I believe, kept K-will and Phat Pat a bit fresher towards the end allowing us to stay in a 3-4 at the end when they went no huddle.
    Again, not a huge change, just something that helped in the execution.

Face it, the boys played today.
    No rocket science involved.
    Lets hope they can keep it up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:

With our rush defense being number 2 in the league I ask this question.
    If we can improve our pass defense I can definitely see the Vikes defense being a top 5 defense.
    With that in mind, if we can get a QB who can be on a Kitna level or so of efficiency do you think we could ride a Vikings team like that to the Super Bowl adding to our current roster?

I could see it considering the Ravens have walked this path before, and in a weak NFC there's a thin line of good/bad teams.
    I think if we added a Kitna type QB vet we could compliment our insane running attack ,and if our pass defense plays like they did against the Charger our defense could shut down any team in the NFC.

What do you think?
    I think calling the NFC "thin" is discounting the strength of both the NFC East and NFC Central.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

If we can improve our pass defense I can definitely see the Vikes defense being a top 5 defense.
    With that in mind, if we can get a QB who can be on a Kitna level or so of efficiency do you think we could ride a Vikings team like that to the Super Bowl adding to our current roster?

I could see it considering the Ravens have walked this path before, and in a weak NFC there's a thin line of good/bad teams.
    I think if we added a Kitna type QB vet we could compliment our insane running attack ,and if our pass defense plays like they did against the Charger our defense could shut down any team in the NFC.

What do you think?
    I think calling the NFC "thin" is discounting the strength of both the NFC East and NFC Central.

=Z=
    I believe you mean the NFC North.
    :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

What do you think?
    I believe you mean the NFC North.
    :P
    Yeah - that one.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

I can tell you one thing.
    You can believe that Childress went into half time and lit the team up.
    I could see the look on his face when Cromartie ran that one back.
    I knew that they were going to get it.
    And as well they should.
    That is the best performance by Griffin and others all year.
    I had the same question as all of you must and that is why have we not played this way all year.
    It is a grind to perform like that every game, but that is why they get paid the way they do.
    I am sure that he challanged the O-line and the D-line demolish the Chargers at the point of attack.
    Now, let's get it done at the cheese heads place!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"vike_mike" wrote:
    I can tell you one thing.
    You can believe that Childress went into half time and lit the team up.
    I could see the look on his face when Cromartie ran that one back.
    I knew that they were going to get it.
    And as well they should.
    That is the best performance by Griffin and others all year.
    I had the same question as all of you must and that is why have we not played this way all year.
    It is a grind to perform like that every game, but that is why they get paid the way they do.
    I am sure that he challanged the O-line and the D-line demolish the Chargers at the point of attack.
    Now, let's get it done at the cheese heads place!
    I agree with alot of the things this poster provided as an explanation.

I am seeing a re-occuring theme and that is we did something drastic this week on D that made us better when in fact we did the same things.

Why were we successfull this week and not on others........

a.
    We faced a young QB who had a bad Center trying to make line calls on the blitz.
    b.
    We mixed our LB blitzes up on were they were coming from between Leber and EJ.
    Nothing new there.
    We have been doing that mostly since game 2 or 3 and very aggressive with EJ at the line.
    If you remember we got burned by KC, GB and Dallas up the middle on that.
    What was the difference?
    See item (a).
    QB play wasn't as good IMHO.
    c.
    We still played predominatly a cover 2 scheme with man press when we did an allout blitz.
    Again, nothing new here.
    Why the difference in results.
    Again, see Item (a).
    Chad had some great chucks on Gates and then Gordon stuck with him on the routes that I watched just long enough to make Rivers shift to another target.
    d.
    Several times or Secondary was burned and Rivers had Recievers open but couldn't get the ball to them.
    The pressure that the DL put on the QB caused him to move around, (he doesn't throw well on the move) as well as made him throw off his back foot several times instead of being able to step up.

I would like to mention one thing I did see that is a change that has nothing to do with the scheme.
    Tank and Dwight made some great playes at safety along with Gordon, Griff and McCauley stepping up and having an almost flawless game.

I also saw more DL players rotating in and out.
    That, I believe, kept K-will and Phat Pat a bit fresher towards the end allowing us to stay in a 3-4 at the end when they went no huddle.
    Again, not a huge change, just something that helped in the execution.

Face it, the boys played today.
    No rocket science involved.
    Lets hope they can keep it up
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

I forgot to mention E.J. Fantastic game.
    I hadn't seen the penetration in the last several games and the penetration was there Sunday.
    Now we can go kick the crap out of the cheeeeeeessssssseeeeee heads!

TeamSoftware is offline Rookie

I wonder if it was not more going for broke we got nothing to loose that made the defense play better. I was waiting in the forth quarter for the Vikings to go into a soft prevent defense, but they continued to go after the Chargers, instead of letting them back in the game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast