Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
    Holmstrom is offline Rookie

Re:PANTHERS vs VIKES POSTGAME DISCUSSION

I would hope that it is their concern. But, I'm not so sure they really give a shit. You'd think all the external motivators were present for a good performance tonight, so....

The Cards had some forgettable games down the stretch last season, as we well know. But I just cannot imagine this secondary being able to do anything against a playoff team.
    None

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

I am of course not happy. Mostly, because I was at our company christmas party and had to try to squint to see the tv in the other room for most of the game. But the beer and prime rib were very good at least.

Apparently the Vikes need to figure out what grass and cleats are. You would think a football team would not be caught off guard by either.

I told my friend when I was in for coffee during the afternoon game, the Panthers have a really good secondary, if the Vikes "get smart" and pass all over, they will lose. If they pound the rock, they will win. 14 runs? I saw that coming. Either we CANNOT run the ball anymore...WITH ADRIAN PETERSON IN THE BACKFIELD..or we just choose not to. I am starting to think that we just plain flat cannot run the ball. A 7-6 game at half, and we finish with 14 runs? Yep, your gonna loose those. Away, on grass, pass happy, trap game. What do you do?

I am really surprised the Vikes let Steve Smith (go UofU, die BcS) own us. Last game I believe he had like 2 catches for 20 yards. Dissapointing.

All in all, this game really doesn't matter much, and apparently the coaches and players thought so too. We match up very well against the saints, and anyone else will have to play in the Dome.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    Formo wrote:
    DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    Formo wrote:
    I forgot to add in my original analysis.. That INT Favre threw, I felt could have been an incomplete pass, or even a TD.. IF Berrian actually adjusted to the ball and made an attempt to go up for it.. Instead he stood there and watched the CB make a HUGE play on the ball.

Bad decision by Favre (considering Shank was wide open in the middle), but piss poor effort by Berrian. I'll take bad decisions over piss poor efforts 9 days a week.
    I thought throwing a jump ball to the least physical receiver in football was a bad idea in itself, if that were Sidney Rice or Percy I doubt it would've gotten picked.
    Yes. But that doesn't excuse Berrian from fault. IMO (and I'm a former WR) an INT like that is just as much fault, if not more, of the WRs than the QB.
    Oh most definitely, I was just pointing out I don't think much of Berrian (most overpaid receiver in football?)
    Gotcha. As far as this year, yes, he's the most overpaid WR in football. I really liked him last year, it sucks to see him suck so bad this year (injuries didn't help, but still).
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Why is it when Favre is getting a big rush that we don't call some screen passes? Isn't that what most teams do in order to cut down the rush? We finally threw one at the end of the game and AP ran for 60 yrds. They need to let Favre scramble around more when he is getting rushed. I heard that the coaches don't want him running out of the pocket and the pocket was collapsing on him. The Panthers figured out how to handle JA. They double teamed him and the QB rolled out away from his side of the field. Why couldn't we figure out something similar?

Maybe the team is not getting enough sun. The solstice is tomorrow. We better find a way to win on the road or we are cooked. We need a better running game both in design and in blocking. IMO we need more plays with both Chester and Adrian in the backfield.

WWBGD

tarpley_jim is offline Waterboy

Holmstrom wrote:
    I would hope that it is their concern. But, I'm not so sure they really give a shit. You'd think all the external motivators were present for a good performance tonight, so....

The Cards had some forgettable games down the stretch last season, as we well know. But I just cannot imagine this secondary being able to do anything against a playoff team.
    I guess I just don't see the secondary as being as bad as you claim. Steve Smith used his amazing athleticism to make more than half of the passing yards against us. Not much that can be done about that.

With Winfield back, I don't think it was about how bad our DBs are. I think it is about how good Steve Smith is. Best pound-for-pound athlete in the NFL.
    None

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Our Secondary is built upon pressure on the QB. Let's face it, without constant pressure our Secondary gets torched.

Just look at Rogers. Massive pressure, he does poo. No pressure on Warner, we get drilled.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

What do we make of Chilly trying to pull Favre?
    I will be watching press conference now.
    We're bringing purple back.

RK. wrote:
    Why is it when Favre is getting a big rush that we don't call some screen passes? Isn't that what most teams do in order to cut down the rush? We finally threw one at the end of the game and AP ran for 60 yrds. They need to let Favre scramble around more when he is getting rushed. I heard that the coaches don't want him running out of the pocket and the pocket was collapsing on him. The Panthers figured out how to handle JA. They double teamed him and the QB rolled out away from his side of the field. Why couldn't we figure out something similar?

Maybe the team is not getting enough sun. The solstice is tomorrow. We better find a way to win on the road or we are cooked. We need a better running game both in design and in blocking. IMO we need more plays with both Chester and Adrian in the backfield.
    Our screen game has looked just awful to me this year. I remember us running a few: AD got tackled in the backfield before he could catch one (perfectly legal), Chester got hit as he bobbled another, and AD got the big play in garbage time on another. It seems like every time we run it the defense is on it which to me means our O-line isn't selling it. We also tried a WR screen when Favre made a bad decesion and pointed Harvin downfield while Berrian was still blocking and we got called for pass interference.

tarpley_jim is offline Waterboy

ultravikingfan wrote:
    Our Secondary is built upon pressure on the QB. Let's face it, without constant pressure our Secondary gets torched.

Just look at Rogers. Massive pressure, he does poo. No pressure on Warner, we get drilled.
    Winfield changes this a lot though, when he's not matched up against Smith. We no longer have Benny Sapp, Karl Paymah, or Asher Allen matched up against a number two receiver. Instead, we have them in roles that they can handle.

Again, fatigue happens on defense when the offense doesn't maintain control of the ball.
    None

Holmstrom is offline Rookie

Rogers lit us up anyway...they got behind and had to pass, pass, pass and whatda you know.....our secondary sucks. Cha-ching. I don't want to play the Packers again. Or the Eagles, Cards, Saints, Colts, Giants, Steelers, Pats, or anyone with a relatively, somewhat okay,not utterly awful, but not good either QB.
    None

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast