Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Panthers-Vikings Preview

"bobbybryant101" wrote:
    This is my first post! What a great website, finally a place I can call my Viking home. This is also the first time in years I feel confident in this team, even after only 1 game. Childress sure has them in shape for 4 qtrs, although I'm concerned about the DL. That's really my only major concern, they never really got to Brunell, 0 sacks. I no longer want the "bend but don't break" defense, it's time to get after the QB, hopefully Delhomme tastes some turf come Sunday. Concerning S. Smith? I hope he plays, Smoot needs redemption.
    Glad I found this website, excellent work!
    Welcome!
    Introduce yourself in the 'free beer' forum and claim your virtual beer.

The Vikings D-line is one of the things I'm excited about.
    Brunell was rushed a bunch of times during the game against a formidable O-line of the Redsticks.
    The sacks weren't there, but he felt the pressure.
    The sacks will emerge, no doubt.

TeamSoftware is offline Rookie

I am pretty sure Childress is smart enough to see when Smith is running all over the field catching passes, to actually put a double team on him unlike last year.

The Vikings should win...

Of course evertime the I though this in the past 6 years they would loose, and evertime I thought they would get beat they would win.

Hopefully we are past this as well.

I hated thinking if maybe I should hope they lose so they would win.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bobbybryant101" wrote:
    This is my first post! What a great website, finally a place I can call my Viking home. This is also the first time in years I feel confident in this team, even after only 1 game. Childress sure has them in shape for 4 qtrs, although I'm concerned about the DL. That's really my only major concern, they never really got to Brunell, 0 sacks. I no longer want the "bend but don't break" defense, it's time to get after the QB, hopefully Delhomme tastes some turf come Sunday. Concerning S. Smith? I hope he plays, Smoot needs redemption.
    Glad I found this website, excellent work!
    Welcome
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet Guest

Click here for a worthless statistical comparison of the two teams after week 1.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Found this on another web site written by a Pro Scout about the Carolina/Atlanta game:
    Atlanta controlled the tempo of the game by using front-side zone runs to attack the outside edges of the Panthers' run defense. Carolina really struggled to stop the run with its front. Not helping matters was that the Panthers were without middle linebacker Dan Morgan, a blue-graded (highest pro personnel scouting grade) run defender.

The Falcons' defense played lots of loaded fronts vs. Carolina's running game. The Panthers could not block it nearly well enough and lacked the ability to displace a defender out of the box with three-wide receiver sets because of Smith's absence. Without Smith, Carolina offensive coordinator Dan Henning could not use his bunch pass look where he likes to get Smith loose with those quick end screens. A legitimate vertical threat was also eliminated without Smith, which nullified the Falcons' need to play with a double-high safety look.

The Falcons actually could have put the game away sooner with better red zone efficiency in the first half. Falcons defensive end John Abraham was a beast coming off the ball. The Panthers had to slide their protections in an effort to block him, which opened up some rush lanes in the "A" gaps (the area between the center and either guard).
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Ahem...
    Remember our pre-season predictions...Probably 0-3 to start the season -- maybe 1-2. Boy everyone is sure jumping on the bandwagon after one win against a team stil trying to learn a 700 page playbook!

But I am looking for a close game. Depends on injuries in my estimation and the defensive line play of the Panthers.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

TheKnuck is offline Asst. Coach

we need sacks and int's.
    the 12th player should help with that.

Prophet Guest

Panthers at Vikings - Concerns for Week Two
    By Richard Clendenen
    Published: September 15, 2006

Sad but true: in their week two matchup against the Minnesota Vikings, the Carolina Panthers may be more defined by who doesn't play than who does.

On offense, there's a good chance star wideout Steve Smith will be sidelined again on Sunday. Smith still has yet to practice this season. More to the point, an MRI showed damage to one of Smith’s sore hamstrings, though thankfully not a tear. Panther coach John Fox may decide to again be cautious, and I'd agree with that decision; better to have Smith for the long haul than for week two.

Side Note: The MRI result pretty much blows away the speculation from some circles that Smith might be dogging it as a roundabout way of looking for a bigger paycheck; but then anyone who's followed Smith for any length of time knew that idea was ridiculous anyway.

What may be an even bigger issue on offense: the line. Not only is the line reshuffled, but they may be missing two starters rather than just the expected one. Travelle Wharton is already lost for the year, and the strong possibility exists that Justin Hartwig may sit this week due to a lingering groin issue. Hartwig missed some early training camp practices due to the same problem. The team can only hope this doesn't linger too long. Again, the prudent thing to do might be to sacrifice the short term for the long term.

Staying on the line, although it was no lock anyway, Hartwig's injury may make it less likely that guard Even Mathis will be benched. If Hartwig can't go, then Geoff Hangartner - the player who was speculated to replace Mathis - will have to start at center. That would leave rookie Will Montgomery as the only logical replacement for Mathis. The coaches are high on Montgomery, but he’s still a rookie. Add in that putting him in the lineup this week would mean four of five line spots would have changed from last week (only Mike Wahle would be in the same spot). It seems unlikely the coaches would want to go that route.

On a positive note, if Mathis does start, the overall reshuffling of the line may not be quite as radical as its made out to be. The only change to the interior line would be Hangartner playing if Hartwig can't go. Hangartner is the backup center so it's not like he's never had any reps at that spot (hence his being the backup). In fact, Hangartner got increased reps this offseason because of Hartwig’s injuries. A few rough spots could still be expected, but Hangartner certainly wouldn’t be going in unprepared.

The biggest changes will be at the tackle spots, but even there how big a change it truly is would be a valid question. For whatever you think of Jordan Gross at left tackle, he has a season's worth of experience there so it’s by no means a new position to him. On the right, Todd Fordham – like Geoff Hangartner - is the primary backup at his position so he's had his reps as well. Granted, this sort of reshuffle is the kind of thing coaches would much rather avoid, but it may not turn out to be as severe as fans fear it could be.

Sliding over to the defense, it’s good news / bad news. The good news is that there's only one loss to the lineup. The bad news, however, is twofold. One, the single player being replaced is an important player, arguably the heart of the defense. Two, returning the defense mostly intact isn't necessarily a good thing if the performance is anything like it was last week.

Last season when starter Dan Morgan went down, the Panthers used veteran acquisition Chris Draft in his place. This season, they'll keep the versatile Draft as the primary backup in all spots. Adam Seward slides into Dan Morgan's spot as the starter. Seward has the prototypical middle linebacker build, had a good preseason and looked solid when he saw action last year. Still, he'll find Morgan's shoes are big shoes to fill. The run defense suffered last week when Morgan was lost.

Seward won't be the only youngster in the linebacking corps. In fact, two of the Panthers three starters this week will be second year players, one of whom spent most of last season on injured reserve (Seward) while the other spent it at safety (Thomas Davis). One possible bright spot here though, another expected starter looks likely to be on the field for the first time this regular season. Na'il Diggs has returned to practice and is listed as probable for week two. It's hoped that Diggs veteran presence can help the youngsters and improve the overall defensive performance.

Improvement will definitely be needed, especially against the run. This week's opponent is no cupcake in that department. The Vikings made a strong effort to improve their run game this offseason, adding runningback Chester Taylor, all pro guard Steve Hutchinson and blocking fullback Tony Richardson. Hutchinson joins a line that was already considered to be good. He'll slide in-between center Matt Birk and tackle Bryant McKinnie to form a combo that could well be one of the best in the league. All in all, this isn't the kind of sight a defense that had issues stopping the run wants to see, especially not with one of its best players lost to injury.

Still, even with the concerns, there are reasons to be optimistic. John Fox’s Panthers haven’t lost two in a row since the latter half of the 2004 season. Add in that a loss this week, while it would hurt, would not be as devastating as some might think. Other teams have been able to dig themselves out of early holes, and if the Panthers can get starters like Smith and Hartwig back on the field and get improved performance from the rest of the lineup, there’s no reason to believe the oft-predicted Super Bowl aspirations for this season have slipped away.

In short, it ain’t over yet, and it won’t be after this weekend either.

================================================== ============

JOHNSON STARTS AS HE MEANS TO GO ON

The Carolina Panthers are a major reason why Brad Johnson is a starting quarterback again, but he is unlikely to return any favours when the Minnesota Vikings open their home schedule against the Panthers on Sunday.

Last October, the Vikings lost three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper to a season-ending right knee injury in a 38-13 loss to the Panthers.

Culpepper's injury led to Johnson taking over as the starter. He went 7-2 the remainder of the season, nearly leading the Vikings to the play-offs.

Now 38 years old, Johnson is the starter for first-year coach Brad Childress, whose attack centres around a short passing game and the power running of Chester Taylor.

He was impressive in week one, leading his team to an impressive win over the Washington Redskins.

Johnson completed 16 of 30 passes for 223 yards and a touchdown and Taylor carried a career-high 31 times for 88 yards and a score in the season-opening 19-16 victory on Monday night.

The favourites to reach the Super Bowl in the NFC, the Panthers opened the season with a disappointing 20-6 home loss to Atlanta.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Steve Smith, who led the league in catches (103), receiving touchdowns (15) and receiving yards (1,563) last season, missed the game with a hamstring injury. He also was sidelined for the entire pre-season.

Smith enjoyed a huge game against the Vikings last season as he torched cornerback Fred Smoot and finished with 11 catches for 213 yards and a touchdown.

He remains questionable for Sunday's game.

While the Panthers failed to reach the end zone against the Falcons, they also struggled defensively, allowing 385 total yards - 252 on the ground.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

they have a swiss cheese O line..

we have some quick eat the qb D monsters.

they have probs with the run

we have the runway opening O line..

should be good for us.. even if smith plays.

DiGiTal

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Prophet Guest

I like that they allowed 252 yds on the ground.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast