Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Panthers-Vikings Preview

Panthers-Vikings Preview
    Associated Press
    14 September 2006

Missing key players, including All-Pro receiver Steve Smith, the Carolina Panthers certainly didn't play like a Super Bowl contender during a Week 1 defeat.

Facing another game without several injured starters, the Panthers must regroup quickly when they visit the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.
    Smith sat out Carolina's 20-6 home loss to Atlanta last Sunday, and while his presence was missed on offense, it was the defense that took a pounding.

Linebacker Dan Morgan suffered a concussion in the second quarter and the Panthers were never the same, allowing 252 rushing yards - the second-most in team history.

Smith is listed as questionable for this game while Morgan, who has a history of concussions, is out for this week and maybe longer.

"Nobody plays harder on the field than Dan," tackle Jordan Gross said. "He plays with his heart on his sleeve and I know he's got to be frustrated getting the little dings like he has."

Smith, who strained his left hamstring on Sept. 5, would only say that he is day-to-day. Drew Carter started in his place against Atlanta and made five catches for 62 yards, but the offense was ineffective.

Quarterback Jake Delhomme was sacked four times and the Panthers rushed for just 65 yards.

"We just didn't get it done. We didn't do well," Delhomme said. "It does get frustrating out there, because you want to do so well. We have to play better, because it wasn't good."

The Panthers will have a revamped offensive line as left tackle Travelle Wharton is out for the season after tearing the ACL and MCL in his left knee against the Falcons.

Gross will slide from right to left tackle while Todd Fordham will start on the right side. Center Justin Hartwig missed Wednesday's practice with a groin injury and is listed as questionable.

"If that's the case, (Gross) will be up to the challenge and he'll do fine," Delhomme said. "And one thing about Todd Fordham, he'll know what to do on the right side. That won't be an excuse."

Adam Seward replaced Morgan at middle linebacker last Sunday and will likely start in his place this week.

The road for the Panthers doesn't get any easier against the Vikings, who ran an efficient offense in a 19-16 season-opening win at Washington on Monday night.

Minnesota displayed the discipline new coach Brad Childress wanted to see after he accepted the job following four years as Philadelphia's offensive coordinator.

"When things are different, they don't understand them," Childress said. "I think when they see some method to the madness, and particularly when you can put a winning product on the field - that's why I mentioned that buy-in factor."

The Vikings didn't commit a turnover and Chester Taylor carried the ball 31 times for 88 yards and a touchdown. He became the first Minnesota back with 30 carries in a game since Robert Smith did it against Atlanta on Sept. 8, 1996.

Brad Johnson was 16-for-30 for 223 yards and a touchdown, finding seven different receivers and taking only one sack.

"You always want to throw it to the guy that is open," Childress said. "I thought Brad did a good job of finding those guys. Any time you can spread it around, it's a good thing. You can't focus in and zero in on one person. He went through his progressions very well, and yeah, in a perfect world that's what you do. You spread the football around to all those guys - running backs, tight ends, wide receivers."

Ryan Longwell's game-winning field goal with a minute remaining gave Minnesota its eighth win in 10 games dating to last season, but the club still has plenty to work on.

Troy Williamson had four catches for 77 yards and averaged 24.5 yards on kickoff returns, but had three drops, including one that appeared to be a sure touchdown.

The Vikings also committed nine penalties.

"I thought our guys played extremely hard," Childress said. "I think on both sides of the football that we can play smarter. I think when you go out at halftime and the penalties are seven to one, with you with seven and them with one, you can play smarter."

Minnesota and Carolina have split six all-time meetings with the Panthers winning the last three, including a 38-13 victory last season at home.

Smith set franchise records with 11 catches and 201 yards in that contest.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Panthers-Vikings Preview

it'll be a different game on sunday..

we have a better D..

more effecient O

and a coach with a greater IQ then the # of players on his team.

this'll be the game our D line should show it's strenght and quickness.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

spikecyrus is offline Rookie

I believe coach tomlin helps us win this one, INTs, pressure and hurries.... sacks. Sharper, smith, winfield, even smoot are all hungry for some balls. BJ will manage the O, and battle for feild position
    MINN-28
    CAR-13

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

We played great Monday, however I think our team can still play ALOT better.I'd like to see our Dline keep up the pressure, get in there and get Jake.Our running game will be the difference in this game.

Vikings 24
    Panthers 17

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

It would be nice to see a second playoff to team go down

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Gross will slide from right to left tackle while Todd Fordham will start on the right side.

This isn't exactly a simple switch.
    Everything, including what hes been programed into your muscles, your reactions, will have to be done the exact opposite.
    Does anybody know if Gross praticed at left at all during camp?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet Guest

And for the caveman viewers here is a map of the TV coverage for the game:

[img width=400 height=258]http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/02-FOX.gif[/img]
    or this link: http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/02-FOX.gif

I thought it was kind of funny that HD-TV is available for all games except the one in GB.

;D

bobbybryant101 is offline Waterboy

This is my first post! What a great website, finally a place I can call my Viking home. This is also the first time in years I feel confident in this team, even after only 1 game. Childress sure has them in shape for 4 qtrs, although I'm concerned about the DL. That's really my only major concern, they never really got to Brunell, 0 sacks. I no longer want the "bend but don't break" defense, it's time to get after the QB, hopefully Delhomme tastes some turf come Sunday. Concerning S. Smith? I hope he plays, Smoot needs redemption.
    Glad I found this website, excellent work!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"bobbybryant101" wrote:
    This is my first post! What a great website, finally a place I can call my Viking home. This is also the first time in years I feel confident in this team, even after only 1 game. Childress sure has them in shape for 4 qtrs, although I'm concerned about the DL. That's really my only major concern, they never really got to Brunell, 0 sacks. I no longer want the "bend but don't break" defense, it's time to get after the QB, hopefully Delhomme tastes some turf come Sunday. Concerning S. Smith? I hope he plays, Smoot needs redemption.
    Glad I found this website, excellent work!

Welcome to the site BobbyBryant guy, please go to the free beer section and introduce yourself!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

The Carolina Panthers are a very good side and this will certainly not be easy. However, if you take Smith out of that team then there really isn't much O. Delhomme is a reliable but not brilliant QB (kinda like Brad i guess), DeShaun Foster is a good RB and that's about it. The O line should be easy meet for our D

I'm looking for 3+ sacks and maybe a couple of INTs or fumbles. Overall I think our defence will win the game for us

Minnesota 16
    Carolina 10

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast