Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Pagac, Singletary won't share role

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1092487
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1092486
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092442
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1092436
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092422
    But Frazier said this week at the NFL owners meetings that the subject had been addressed and new defensive coordinator Fred Pagac knows he's in charge.

"I talked with Mike and I talked with Fred as well about [Singletary's] role -- he's special assistant to the head coach and linebackers coach," Frazier said. "So, what that means is he's working with the linebackers, but he's going to assist me [from a] head-coaching standpoint. But he's not co-coordinator. He's not the defensive coordinator. As a matter of fact, he's learning our defense and our system. So, he's not a threat to Fred in that way by any means. Fred understands that."

Pagac, Singletary won't share role

I sure hope what Mike teaches Leslie isn't the same things that got him fired. :huh:

On a side note.....For those of you who were trying to convince me we were going to go to the 3-4.....

Although there was some speculation Frazier might have considered going to a 3-4 defense after he was named the Vikings coach, he said that was never considered.
    I like Singletary and I am excited to see what intensity level will bring to our group of LB's.
    I am not so sure he will have much of a role with the LB'rs this year.

Seems Leslie brought him in as more of a mentor "Said so on Moving the Chains" the other day. Mix that with the fact he is still trying to learn our defense leads me to wonder, what can he teach them.

Guys like Chad and EJ probably know the defense better than he does.
    Teaching attitude and lighting a fire under their asses has nothing to do with what system we're running.
    I have a hunch Mike could teach them a few things about playing linebacker as well. The beady eye thing alone would be priceless in intimidating offenses.
    I can agree with that. Little nuances, but I sure don't see sweeping changes at LB'r.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Pagac, Singletary won't share role

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092513
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1092492
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1092486
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092442
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1092436
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092422
    But Frazier said this week at the NFL owners meetings that the subject had been addressed and new defensive coordinator Fred Pagac knows he's in charge.

"I talked with Mike and I talked with Fred as well about [Singletary's] role -- he's special assistant to the head coach and linebackers coach," Frazier said. "So, what that means is he's working with the linebackers, but he's going to assist me [from a] head-coaching standpoint. But he's not co-coordinator. He's not the defensive coordinator. As a matter of fact, he's learning our defense and our system. So, he's not a threat to Fred in that way by any means. Fred understands that."

Pagac, Singletary won't share role

I sure hope what Mike teaches Leslie isn't the same things that got him fired. :huh:

On a side note.....For those of you who were trying to convince me we were going to go to the 3-4.....

Although there was some speculation Frazier might have considered going to a 3-4 defense after he was named the Vikings coach, he said that was never considered.
    I like Singletary and I am excited to see what intensity level will bring to our group of LB's.
    I am not so sure he will have much of a role with the LB'rs this year.

Seems Leslie brought him in as more of a mentor "Said so on Moving the Chains" the other day. Mix that with the fact he is still trying to learn our defense leads me to wonder, what can he teach them.

Guys like Chad and EJ probably know the defense better than he does.
    Teaching attitude and lighting a fire under their asses has nothing to do with what system we're running.
    +1

Also even if Singletary is still learning the system, he and Leslie played together before and I am certain that some of the scheme etc is based on past experiences. Also I dont think it will take Singletary too long to acclimate given that we dont really run that exotic of a look.
    Problem is, there isn't gonna be a scheme change (as some of you said there would be), Pagac will be in charge so it will be his scheme, and Mike was brought in more as a "Mentor" for Leslie, than a LB coach.

My guess, the strenght of our defense (LB'rs) will continue to get their coaching from the guy who has been doing it (Jeff Imamura) and Mike will help out if he isn't walking around "Mentoring" Leslie.

Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Our LB'rs ain't broke my friends.
    Generally I dont disagree with alot but I feel we have one of the most underrated LB groups in the league. To the degreee that a HOF player (and successful LB coach Ravens) is added to the mix will only improve their tenacity.

While I agree that Pagac and Leslie will scheme it up, SIngletary will drill into the subleties that make linebackers great. You cannot look at the 49'ers LB's and defenses as the reason Singletary got fired. Facot of the matter is that Willis, Spikes, and Lawson are some of the best in the game and I believe that Mike's coaching was part of it. Look at how tough they played us in '09. The offensive side of the ball is where Singletary failed. To me a guy like Singletary will only add to what we have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12