Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Pagac envisioned man coverage, not zone

Injuries have derailed Fred Pagac's plans for a more aggressive Vikings defense

Injuries have derailed Fred Pagac's plans for a more aggressive Vikings defense - TwinCities.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Pagac, who spent 23 years at Ohio State from 1978-2000, said the Vikings are calling the defense based on "what your people can do" personnel-wise.

If this is the case..we're in big fucking trouble!

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    I actually like hearing that. I have wanted to see less C2 and more man coverage. I don't see how you can fault Pagac though for making due with the talent he was given.

Again most of our troubles can be traced back to management.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I like what he is saying. It should be obvious that the C2 is not going to work as a primary offense anymore at this point and it has also been apparent that we need to be able to man up and pressure offenses when they spread the defense out in order to give the DL time to get pressure.

That being said I still don't see the vikings playing much man that involves Winfield and Griffin. If Cook hadn't beat his GF then maybe he had a shot at being good in man coverage but the rest of the CB's and the Safeties are still a liability.

I hope if they keep him around they give him some talent to work with.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter
    I would also like to mention we drafted a guy named Brandon Burton. His weakness as a corner was he was not as strong as a zone coverage player as he was man. He plays very well bump and run corner and has exceptional man coverage skills. That being said I think this draft shows how we planned on switching to more of a man coverage based scheme. I'm excited about this coaching staff and I feel this was a "rebuilding year" for us. We currently don't have a secondary capable of doing things Pagac wants out of our defense. The first 5 games of the year defensively were rather strong for us. I think that our lack of 2nd half adjustments lost us those 4 game.

Chris Cook was probably one of the more underrated player on this team and I hope he's able to fix his act because he did some great things for us while he was with us. A lot of the reason we were able to blitz a lot early in the first half was because we were able to leave Chris Cook alone with the likes of Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Mike Williams, and Larry Fitzgerald. I understand that Cedric and Chris play on sides, but Chris Cook plays right cornerback where the number one receiver lines up a majority of the time. I think this defense will become a lot similar to Greg Williams scheme down in new orleans. Heavy Blitz scheme with the corners playing man coverage on the outside. Playing this kind of scheme requires the secondary (corners to be more precise) to be the strength of the team if we are going to blitz and leave our corners on islands. Unfortunately as we have seen, we simply do not have that personnel to man up and blitz. I am very excited to see this defense in the coming years and I expect the identity of this defense to change in the coming years.

I am still waiting for our coaching staff to show the ability to make second half adjustments and the ability to outcoach teams consistenly. Once I see that I will be 100% behind Frazier and Co.
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I like what he is saying. It should be obvious that the C2 is not going to work as a primary offense anymore at this point and it has also been apparent that we need to be able to man up and pressure offenses when they spread the defense out in order to give the DL time to get pressure.

That being said I still don't see the vikings playing much man that involves Winfield and Griffin. If Cook hadn't beat his GF then maybe he had a shot at being good in man coverage but the rest of the CB's and the Safeties are still a liability.

I hope if they keep him around they give him some talent to work with.
    It won't work as a primary defense anymore either. :P

Blog Entries
    I also hoped Burton might be able to fill in but it makes me wonder with the problems we have had in the secondary why we haven't seen him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I also hoped Burton might be able to fill in but it makes me wonder with the problems we have had in the secondary why we haven't seen him yet.
    They have Sapp ahead of him in the depth chart.

Blog Entries
    That speaks volumes then doesn't it.

Freya is offline Team Alumni
    Hmmm. Interesting...........except we don't have the players for man coverage. Or blitzing for that matter. The excuses keep mounting. Excuses are for losers.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast