NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Packers should sell out to stop the PASS if they want to win...

OK, so I know that this is not the prevailing theory. Everyone is saying that the Packers need to stop AD if they want to beat the Vikings. I disagree.

First of all, I don't think they are going to be able to stop AD. The only thing that stopped him against Houston was an abdominal issue.

Second, when teams stack the box for AD, they can hold him to short yardage most of the time... but there will be two or three times a game at least when he breaks past that first layer of defense and then he is off to the races. If a defense plays traditional defense, there will be more people in the secondary to stop AD once he breaks through.

Third, and probably most importantly, if there is any player on the Vikings that I feel has the potential to make costly mistakes, it is Ponder. If the Packers sell out against the Pass, they will completely knock Ponder off from his game and cause him to make mistakes - like the two red zone INTs the last time we played the Pack. Yes, AD will have a monster game, just like last time, but the Packers would come away with the W, just like last time.

So in summary, if they sell out against the run, we will win in similar fashion to the Houston game last week. If they sell out against the pass, AD will break the record, but we will lose. Just my prediction.

I figure it is probably a pretty good chance that the Packers coaching staff wasn't reading PP.O today, so I felt it was safe to share my brilliant strategy. ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Is his abdomen healed completely?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    So in summary, if they sell out against the run, we will win in similar fashion to the Houston game last week. If they sell out against the pass, AD will break the record, but we will lose. Just my prediction.
    Regardless of what we do on offense, the key to winning that game is primarily on our defenses shoulders. They need to shut down Rodgers, much like they did to Schaub & their passing game.

Holding Rodgers to only 178 yards passing & 0 TD's like they did to Schaub will be no easy task. The Lions were the only ones able to do it thus far this year but lost the game, so it can be done.

I still think the Packers will play for the run & take their chances & try & make Ponder beat them with his dinking & dunking, so if the right Ponder shows up and we do more than bubble passes & dump offs, we could beat them. It is our turf, it is our house. I just hope it isn't too full of green & gold fans.

Otherwise, I think we may be playing catch up throughout the game if our defense isn't on their best game. It's awful hard to catch up pounding the ball when a high powered offense keeps scoring TD's on us.

This is going to be a nail biter all the way down to the end.

If the Packers to play for the pass, perhaps Ponder will try to throw more passes away which could lead to converting on more key 3rd downs.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Regardless of what we do on offense, the key to winning that game is primarily on our defenses shoulders. They need to shut down Rodgers, much like they did to Schaub & their passing game.

Holding Rodgers to only 178 yards passing & 0 TD's like they did to Schaub will be no easy task. The Lions were the only ones able to do it thus far this year but lost the game, so it can be done.

I still think the Packers will play for the run & take their chances & try & make Ponder beat them with his dinking & dunking, so if the right Ponder shows up and we do more than bubble passes & dump offs, we could beat them. It is our turf, it is our house. I just hope it isn't too full of green & gold fans.

Otherwise, I think we may be playing catch up throughout the game if our defense isn't on their best game. It's awful hard to catch up pounding the ball when a high powered offense keeps scoring TD's on us.

This is going to be a nail biter all the way down to the end.

If the Packers to play for the pass, perhaps Ponder will try to throw more passes away which could lead to converting on more key 3rd downs.
    Defense played pretty good the first couple of series, but then looked like crap. (Wrong)
    We took the lead and never gave it up. (Wrong)
    We even saw a deep pass (Wrong)
    We even saw a nice gain off of a screen to Toby (Wrong).

I can't wait to see what you think is going to happen this weekend old friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    OK, so I know that this is not the prevailing theory. Everyone is saying that the Packers need to stop AD if they want to beat the Vikings. I disagree.

First of all, I don't think they are going to be able to stop AD. The only thing that stopped him against Houston was an abdominal issue.

Second, when teams stack the box for AD, they can hold him to short yardage most of the time... but there will be two or three times a game at least when he breaks past that first layer of defense and then he is off to the races. If a defense plays traditional defense, there will be more people in the secondary to stop AD once he breaks through.

Third, and probably most importantly, if there is any player on the Vikings that I feel has the potential to make costly mistakes, it is Ponder. If the Packers sell out against the Pass, they will completely knock Ponder off from his game and cause him to make mistakes - like the two red zone INTs the last time we played the Pack. Yes, AD will have a monster game, just like last time, but the Packers would come away with the W, just like last time.

I figure it is probably a pretty good chance that the Packers coaching staff wasn't reading PP.O today, so I felt it was safe to share my brilliant strategy. ;D
    LOL, they must have read it........
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Defense played pretty good the first couple of series, but then looked like crap. (Wrong)
    We even saw a nice gain off of a screen to Toby (Wrong).

LOL! I don't know what you were reading, but I was damn near spot on with most things, the exception to the defense, but at the time of my post, I did not know Winfield wasn't playing. BTW the defense played pretty decent the entire first half, with the exception of the 51 yard TD play.

Let's take a look at what I said rather than be selective of only a few words.

The defense played pretty good the first half, which is why we were able to take the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Singer
    if the right Ponder shows up and we do more than bubble passes & dump offs, we could beat them. It is our turf, it is our house. I just hope it isn't too full of green & gold fans.

Otherwise, I think we may be playing catch up throughout the game if our defense isn't on their best game.
    You can't say I'm wrong there. Sorry Marr.

[QUOTE=Singer]if the right Ponder shows up and we do more than bubble passes & dump offs, we could beat them{/QUOTE]

Looks like I was spot on there. Exactly how did you get wrong out of that? No need to answer, we all know the answer to that.

We even saw a nice gain off of a screen to Toby (Wrong)
    Again, in case you missed it for the second time as well....

[QUOTE=Singer]if the right Ponder shows up and we do more than bubble passes & dump offs, we could beat them{/QUOTE]

You also ignored this;

Again, that's exactly what the Packers tried to do. They tried to shut down AD & force Ponder to beat them with his arm.

Now you can try to convince people that they respected Ponder's arm & protected for it rather than load the box, but I don't think there will be any takers.

No need to wait, I'll tell you right now as it hasn't changed from last week.

The Packers are going to focus on stopping AD & the run by stacking the box & forcing Ponder to beat them with his arm.

Can't wait for you to try and tell me I'm wrong again, when that's not only exactly what they did last week, but what they'll do again this week.

Can't wait for your post declaring how the Packers will focus their game on stopping Ponder & the pass, by not stacking the box because Ponder is now a deep threat QB & our run game is secondary.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    They get Woodson back this week and that will make a big difference in their secondary as well as their whole defense. I would expect the going to get a whole lot tougher this week than it was last week. He is going to take away a good chunk of the field and take the pressure off of the rest of the secondary and the LB's who have been covering for him when he has been gone.

Take a look at our defense and what it has looked like with Cook in the lineup and out of it and then consider Woodson is far better and makes a far bigger impact than Cook does.