Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by shockzilla View Post
    Those are some very good points Marrdro. Ponder is an unknown, to the Packers and everyone else. I think it'll be harder for them to game plan for him than it would have been had McNabb been the starter.

You just moved up a few notches on my spreadsheet.
    Thanks my friend.

I was actually gonna send you a PM today. When we (Wildwoman and I) were making preps for the game today, your name came up. Not sure why, but I thought it would be fun to watch the Destroyers win a championship with you in the seats with us.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    But doesn't making Ponder the starter also allow the Vikings to give him more time to practice plays that can exploit those blitzes and formations than he would have gotten if he was practicing with the 2nd string until Friday? Because you know if he was taking all of the 1st team snaps it would have leaked out anyway.
    He would be getting the reps with the starters anyway. You can't assume that information would leak out.

Do teams practice different game plans all week than what they plan on running because they fear it will leak out?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Freya is offline Team Alumni
    My question is HOW? How are they preparing?!..........with 15 minutes of tape from last week?!?!
    Well...... that is just hilarious.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    My question is HOW? How are they preparing?!..........with 15 minutes of tape from last week?!?!
    Well...... that is just hilarious.
    They are preparing against a rookie QB making his first NFL start. You don't need a lot of tape to do that. Besides, there is tape from last week, tape from preseason games & tape from college.

What's hilarious is people believing they won't change their defensive game plan & prepare identically as if they are going to face McNabb. LOL!

The question the Packers care most about is how the change to Ponder will affect the Vikings this week. On paper, the Packers should have a huge edge with defensive coordinator Dom Capers getting a full week to devise a game plan to confuse a rookie making his first NFL start.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Thanx for making my point.

That's exactly the type of plays & formations they'll practice all week to not allow him to get comfortable & in a rythm.

If they think McNabb was going to be the starter, they don't practice bringing exotic blitzes and different formations to try & confuse McNabb.
    Huh? You don't think the world champions under Caper's schemes practice exotic blitzes every week? You are joking right? Ya, because they normally wouldn't practice exotic blitzes unless they know they are playing against a first time starter rookie? Are you kidding me?

Not only that, but most people with half a brain could see after Donny got pulled, he wasn't going back in because he's terrible. Donny was the only one who was surprised and not the Pukers and their defense. Your argument makes absolutely no sense. Sorry man.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    They are preparing against a rookie QB making his first NFL start. You don't need a lot of tape to do that. Besides, there is tape from last week, tape from preseason games & tape from college.

What's hilarious is people believing they won't change their defensive game plan & prepare identically as if they are going to face McNabb. LOL!
    Again I ask the most basic of questions.....

Why do you think they will bring some sort of "New" blitz package to the table that they haven't been able to do all year.

In the end, the PUKERS suck against the pass. I hope like hell they are really working hard on correcting that cause it will take away from their efforts of getting ready to stop AD, which, by the way, is their defenses only strenght and I think that is skewed a bit cause teams are always trying to pass on them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Thanx for making my point.

That's exactly the type of plays & formations they'll practice all week to not allow him to get comfortable & in a rythm.

If they think McNabb was going to be the starter, they don't practice bringing exotic blitzes and different formations to try & confuse McNabb.

If that's the case, they will probably pull tape from high school right? LOL!

Preseason and college???? What the? Are you kidding ...?
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    If that's the case, they will probably pull tape from high school right? LOL!

Preseason and college???? What the? Are you kidding ...?
    Why wouldn't that be useful? You look at how he played in the preseason and you can see his tendencies and strengths/weaknesses and gameplan against those. If you look at Webb based solely on preseason play you'd see that he likes to run a lot more than pass so you force him to stay in the pocket and pass. Same thing with Ponder. Take away the short/intermediate throws and force him to throw it deep. Gameplan knowing that he likes to run so keep Clay the douche in to keep an eye on him. Not that hard of a concept to grasp.

And it's well known that teams try to confuse rookies with exotic blitzes and different coverages that he might not have seen on tape. Do things that wouldn't necessarily confuse a vet in the league, but a rookie like Ponder might freak out and try to take off, leaving him susceptible to some big hits. Blitz Brady and he'll pick you apart. Blitz Ponder and he'll take off running or force a throw somewhere he shouldn't be.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    What controversy? If the team knows who's starting & the rest of the word doesn't, that's not a distraction at all.
    I understand where you're coming from, but personally, I'd rather have the team focus on the game plan for Sunday, rather than worrying about how to keep the media in the dark. You know that if Frazier hadn't announced Ponder as the starter, the media would be pressuring the coaches and players all week for that one nugget that would give away the plans. That would be a distraction.

Plus, again, now the team knows that everyone, including the Packers, knows who is starting. They know the Packers are going to try to come up with ways to confuse a rookie. The Packers have already faced one rookie QB this year. While Ponder is not Newton, they can still look at that tape to see how the Packers prepare for that situation. There's no tape from this year that shows how the Packers prepare for an either/or situation.

I know that there's a potential edge to be gained by keeping things secret, but there are pros and cons to that decision. To repeat myself a bit, when a team is struggling, I'd rather take as many unknowns off the table, and allow the team to focus on what is important. In this case, the pluses of announcing the decision early outweigh the minuses. Now it's just up to the team to execute.

smegmavike is online now Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Again I ask the most basic of questions.....

Why do you think they will bring some sort of "New" blitz package to the table that they haven't been able to do all year.

In the end, the PUKERS suck against the pass. I hope like hell they are really working hard on correcting that cause it will take away from their efforts of getting ready to stop AD, which, by the way, is their defenses only strenght and I think that is skewed a bit cause teams are always trying to pass on them.
    Packers will do what every team does against the Vikings, stack the box, stop the run, get the lead, and make the QB pass. It's a simple formula that works.
    So now we shall see if Ponder can complete enough passes to keep the offense on the field for awhile. If so, the Vikes have a chance.
    Capers vs Musgrave doesn't give me a lot of confidence though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast