Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    My concern is this game badly exposed Ponder.

His only asset under pressure is speed. He can escape a bad situation, which is good, but he's not shown the ability to throw on the run yet. He only really throws accurately when he sets his feet, and with our OL, that doesn't happen often.

The blueprint to shut down Ponder is:

A-gap blitz. Mix up who comes, but collapse that pocket making him run. If he tries to pass, he's not tall enough to get over the line, so short bullet passes should be easy enough to bat down at the line. Especially since our OL has no comprehension of what "Passing lanes" mean.

Contain the edge: have a pass rusher or LB with contain duties. Hell, even a Corner, just make sure he can't get outside you to the sideline.

Force him to make quick decisions. If he has to throw farther than 5 yards under pressure or on the run, it's inaccurate. He just doesn't seem to have developed that mental clock yet, so he has to see the pressure coming to react. Hit him when he's not looking if you want to get in his head.

He managed (barely) in the last two games because we were not playing good teams. GB has been the first team that can consistently get after the QB. they rattled him early on, making it difficult for him to do much of anything. Watch our last GB game and this one, their defensive gameplan was much, much different.

Seems they were keying in on the middle of the field. TE's, slot and outside receivers coming across the middle. They seemed content on loose coverage on the outside because a) Ponder didn't seem able to find them open and b) he couldn't really hit them. If he does, then they give up 15 yards. That happened far less than it should have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    There should have been an offensive facemask on Jordy Nelson's first TD... but that's about par for the course for a Monday Night game in Green Bay.
    Yep

That and there should have been a facemask on another play that woudl have given us a first down.

Offensive PI on Harvin was legit, but multiple missed PI calls on the packers. Easy PI calls. One on Shank early on, one push off on Asher, probably another I'm not thinking of.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Ugh.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    My concern is this game badly exposed Ponder.

His only asset under pressure is speed. He can escape a bad situation, which is good, but he's not shown the ability to throw on the run yet. He only really throws accurately when he sets his feet, and with our OL, that doesn't happen often.

The blueprint to shut down Ponder is:

A-gap blitz. Mix up who comes, but collapse that pocket making him run. If he tries to pass, he's not tall enough to get over the line, so short bullet passes should be easy enough to bat down at the line. Especially since our OL has no comprehension of what "Passing lanes" mean.

Contain the edge: have a pass rusher or LB with contain duties. Hell, even a Corner, just make sure he can't get outside you to the sideline.

Force him to make quick decisions. If he has to throw farther than 5 yards under pressure or on the run, it's inaccurate. He just doesn't seem to have developed that mental clock yet, so he has to see the pressure coming to react. Hit him when he's not looking if you want to get in his head.

He managed (barely) in the last two games because we were not playing good teams. GB has been the first team that can consistently get after the QB. they rattled him early on, making it difficult for him to do much of anything. Watch our last GB game and this one, their defensive gameplan was much, much different.

Seems they were keying in on the middle of the field. TE's, slot and outside receivers coming across the middle. They seemed content on loose coverage on the outside because a) Ponder didn't seem able to find them open and b) he couldn't really hit them. If he does, then they give up 15 yards. That happened far less than it should have.
    Cmon. No exposure no more than a rookie or any other game in which an OL allows you to get spanked. Nothing special to see here other than a straight beating of a QB with no receivers, no line, and there is little to say Ponder cost us anything.

jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler
    I don't think the Vikings have that bad of a team. The problem is they just played the best team in the NFL. Things will get better next week, much better. Pulling Rodgers with nearly a quarter of football left and having the backup score a TD was just plain dirty.
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    To me the refs seemed worse than usual tonight. The no call on the PI against Shank, then Percy gets offensive PI on that long catch, then the Packers have a blatant offensive PI against Asher that doesn't get called and then Asher gets called on a PI that is less obvious than what was called against shank. The packers were going to win and didn't need the help so I have to question the inconsistency on the calls. If the game was in question I could understand it but in this case? Not necessary.
    Was I the only one who saw Rodgers talking to the ref before the game, patting him on the back & being all chummy with him?

Lets also not forget the non-interception by the Packers that the refs tried giving to them anyway. Clearly the receiver was all ready down & if anything it was closer to being a reception than it was an interception. Good thing the replay clearly showed it as incomplete. If they would have given that ball to GB after all the other BS, I wouldn't have blamed Frazier one bit if he would have taken the team & left the field.
    Last edited by singersp; 11-14-2011 at 11:52 PM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Blaming the OL & receiving corp. My this sounds familiar.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

poisoning16 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjohn View Post
    I don't think the Vikings have that bad of a team. The problem is they just played the best team in the NFL. Things will get better next week, much better. Pulling Rodgers with nearly a quarter of football left and having the backup score a TD was just plain dirty.
    Plain dirty by the Pack? Not sure what they are supposed to do there? They took out their starters up big and the Vikes still were unable to stop Matt Flynn. that's on them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Cmon. No exposure no more than a rookie or any other game in which an OL allows you to get spanked. Nothing special to see here other than a straight beating of a QB with no receivers, no line, and there is little to say Ponder cost us anything.
    Gonna disagree.

It did reveal some tendencies from Ponder that the limited amount of plays he's had so far has not.

In College, he was a great player, so tough to gameplan based on that footage.

This game showed a successful way to slow down Ponder.

And you mention our OL making it tough for him, which is absolutely true. But unfortuantely for Ponder, he plays behind that same OL the rest of the season.

I never said Ponder straight up cost us the game. He didn't help us, but you're right in that he wasn't the deciding factor. That was however by far his worst game, and the Packers found something to do on defense to really limit us.

I expect that will be copied by most of our future opponents. not all will be able to duplicate that success, but some will.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    I just have to disagree about Ponder. Especially the unable to throw on the move which is utter bull crap. Still he had a bad game.

I thought Musgrave called a bad game. We were trying too hard to go for the homerun throw instead of just taking our time and marching down the field.

Truth is our Offensive line was bad. I thought Sully was actually pretty solid but Berger and Loadholt really got chewed up. Charlie Johnson was burned some as well. Peterson also was pretty pathetic about picking up blitz's. Re-model is required.

The lack of a true #1 receiver really stands out. A couple of Ponder's deep throws were not bad. He gave the receiver a chance to make a play but Percy and Devin are incapable of making those plays. That is where losing Rice really hurts us.

The defensive line was not awful (Allen was awesome) but yet again I see nothing out of the DT often lined up beside Kevin. Ballard had his name called some but Evans, Adoyele, and Guion are garbage. Robison has disappeared.

Our DB's are awful, Winfield included.

Green Bay was really ready for this game. They did a great job in using Woodson to confuse Ponder (reminded of the way we used AW on Vick last year). Really moved Matthews around as well as bringing corner blitz's. Ponder has to learn to audible out of some of that but no rookie QB is ready for what GB threw out tonight.

This teams needs gutted. New WR, LT, LG, RG, RT, DT, RDE, MLB, entire new secondary.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast