Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Packers' loss is Vikes' gain with Longwell

[size=13pt]Sid Hartman: Packers' loss is Vikes' gain with Longwell[/size]

All the former Green Bay kicker has done, since that team didn't make much of an effort to sign him, is kick two game-winning field goals and throw a TD pass.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: September 22, 2006 – 12:04 AM

It was good fortune for the Vikings and bad for the Packers. Former Green Bay kicker Ryan Longwell already has paid dividends with two game-winning field goals, and he threw a pass for a touchdown in Sunday's victory over Carolina..
    Why would the Packers let Longwell go after nine years of making as many pressure field goals as any other kicker in the league?

"I think there's a business side to this game that not a lot of us understand," Longwell said. "But we had a good run over there, and it was a lot of fun. They are kind of going in a different direction, obviously, and I wasn't part of those plans. So we were excited the Vikings kept calling, and I'm very excited to be here."

It was hard for him to understand, but Longwell said Packers officials briefly talked to him about re-signing in January and that was it.

"Come March, when it was crunch time, they weren't there," Longwell said. "For some reason or another during the season, they weren't gonna make a push, and it ended up happening that way."

He is very excited about kicking in the Metrodome, especially in November and December.

"The footing over there [at Lambeau Field] got pretty bad," Longwell said. "You never really knew what it was going to be from day to day, so it will be a little more consistent here."

Also coming over from the Packers was quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell, now the Vikings offensive coordinator.

"He's a good guy, a good coach and very solid, and he'll do good for us," Longwell said.

Longwell spent nine years with Packers quarterback Brett Farve and still believes the man has great talent and can win any game when he gets hot.

"There are not a lot of quarterbacks in the league that can do that by themselves, and he's one of them that can," Long- well said.

Playoffs near sellout

Yes, the Metrodome is a bad baseball stadium and the Twins have needed a new stadium, but all that counts is if you have the attraction, the fans will come.

The Twins already have sold 40,000 tickets for the postseason and expect to go over 50,000 by next week. Capacity of the Metrodome for the postseason will be more than 54,000 with the curtain taken off the balcony in center field. The Twins have sold more than 40,000 per game for the White Sox series and expect to draw about 2.3 million this season.

You can rest assured David Ortiz will be pushing his Red Sox bosses to find a way to get Twins center fielder Torii Hunter and, because of how well he has performed in this series, there will be interest if the Twins decided not to pick up the $12 million option on his contract or use the $2.5 million buyout. Since Sept. 2, Hunter had hit .320 with seven home runs and 21 RBI in 18 games going into Thursday night's game.

Regarding the possible conflict with the Vikings for use of the Metrodome on Oct. 8, Twins President Dave St. Peter looks for the Vikings to play the following Monday and the Twins to play on Oct. 8.

Wade Wilson, who played 19 years in the NFL and is in his third year as the Bears quarterbacks coach, is being given a lot of credit for the development of Bears quarterback Rex Grossman.

Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on WCCO AM-830 at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on his Podcast twice a week at www.startribune.com/sidcast. [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Packers' loss is Vikes' gain with Longwell

It is amazing on how these former Packer players come here to Minnesota and after 1 season with the Vikes, they have a career year.. Last season Sharper had 9 picks, and return 2 for TD's.. He also had 3 in 1 game against the Giants.. In GB's eyes, Sharper was washed up and all he did was have the best year of his career in Purple and Gold..

Ryan Longwell is another example.. Sure he was good in GB, but he never threw a TD pass in his career.. He comes here to Minnesota and after 2 games, he has thrown a TD pass, and hit 2 game winning FG's.. Looks like he also may have his best season as a pro right here with the Purple and Gold.. So yeah, Packers loss, our gain..

RC_Freak is offline Training Camp

Plain and simple, it doesn't matter whose loss it is, as long as we are the ones getting the W, and winning the NFC North
    You can't be let down if you don't expect the world

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

it still confuses me how GB could even contemplate that longwell was over the hill
    or wasn't going to be clutch.. they WON games against us in clutch fasion using him!!

def a loss in cheese land.. and a big + in Viking Territory!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

arent the packers still trying to find a kicker....they are the ones that need to be kicked for letting him go, but their loss is our gain and will be great to see longwell do a great job against them
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

they dont need longwell, they have koren robinson :roll:

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

i really wasnt to sure about longwell when we got him..mostly becuause hes from GB and he was the reason we lost a lot of games vs. them. but like darren sharper, longwell proved him self. i wasnt sure about sharper when we got him but he definately showed that he is way to good for the pack. the thing that changed my mind about longwell was that awesome TD throw!!
    "God has blessed me tremendously. I'd be a fool to complain."
    "From what I understand, the coaches will put the best 11 on the field."
    -Tyrell Johnson

i didnt give a damn about the TD throw (ok i lied, it was awesome, but its not #1 in my book) the stat that will impress the most in longwell, is his consistancy of making the kicks he should, and making them in clutch time (as he already has 2 game winners)

edinger was just way too inconsistant

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I would just be happy if Kluwe can learn how to hold.

kluwe is fine! give the kid a break, he's young and was in a very loud stadium, people make mistakes, better to make them early in the season

- Dan Calabrese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast