Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Packers: how to beat them

We need to knock their receivers on their asses inside the 5 yard from scrimmage zone and take away their timing. That will make Farve push the issue and when he does that,bad things generally happen for him. If we let the wideouts run their routes unchallenged they will beat us big time. This is not a game to bend for the secondary.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Last couple times we played the Packers in the dome, they beat us with that slant route. We need to take that away. Get a hand up on that ball, jam their receivers. Don't give them that short route that they 'RAC' (run after the catch) into a long gain. Let Greenway sit back in zone, and jam their receivers.

I would also strongly consider the zone blitz against Favre. Bring Henderson and the safeties up to the line and 'show blitz'. Then, just as Fav-ray hikes the ball, drop back into medium coverage and pick that slant off, or lay some wood. I think it will work. We know them so well, and what they do, because we play them so often. I think the zone blitz will work against that slant route they love so much.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

We've got to score more points than them.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Offense: Run the ball. 1st and 10. Run. 2nd and less than 5. Run. 3rd and less than 3. Run. To have any success in the passing game means they have to respect the run, first and foremost.

I hope we can find a mismatch for our TE, which I don't see happening. I also expect to see swing passes and screens, but with limited success. Honestly, the best way to attack the Packers pass defense is to go deep, exposing their safeties. Unfortunately we are not good at that. The underneath routes won't work against those LBs and CBs.

Defense:
    The run should be easy to stop. The pass may be impossible. If you watched Packers vs. Chargers last week you saw SD try to blitz Favre, and get burned doing it. At the same time, no one here is convinced our front 4 can generate enough pressure. Pat Williams and Ben Leber again will see limited playing time.

I think the only way we pull this off is by only rushing 4. We then have our LB play shallower than they have been, hoping to just that slant pattern. Have the CBs bump, which they rarely do, and funnell the receivers to the inside. If the CBs get beat inside we have to hope that our LBs are in the right position to make a play. If our LBs do eventually shut down the slant/curl, then GB will have no choice but to challenge our safties. I like our chances there, as both Sharper and Smith are ballhawks.

ST:
    Continue good coverage. Don't muff punt returns. Kneel if you catch the ball in the endzone. Make the game winning FG.

The Pack have put up lots of points despite a solid D. All 3 games this year, we have made the opponents play our type of game. That has to continue, and we have to capitalize on the oppurtunities that our D gives us.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

duvaldomo is offline Coach

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Last couple times we played the Packers in the dome, they beat us with that slant route. We need to take that away. Get a hand up on that ball, jam their receivers. Don't give them that short route that they 'RAC' (run after the catch) into a long gain. Let Greenway sit back in zone, and jam their receivers.

I would also strongly consider the zone blitz against Favre. Bring Henderson and the safeties up to the line and 'show blitz'. Then, just as Fav-ray hikes the ball, drop back into medium coverage and pick that slant off, or lay some wood. I think it will work. We know them so well, and what they do, because we play them so often. I think the zone blitz will work against that slant route they love so much.
    They also beat the chargers with it. slant route to donald lee had the packers in a great position. I hope that is our #1 task to do, is shut down the slant, we do have a great chance to win this game.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"skum" wrote:
    That passrush.. gotta work.. Send EJ everytime along with the 4 up front

That offense.. gotta work.. Chester might be back.. Win the cointoss, score on the opening drive - and the continue to run the f0kin ball

Pass plays to AD and Chester all day long, in the redzone.. THROW IT TO SIDNEY RICE!
    Good idea. Blitz the middle linebacker in a cover-2 system every play. They'll never think to throw it over the middle.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

good insight stillpurple.
    Also if the defense can score thatll make the game tough on Farve
    get into his head, farve doesnt play well
    Get into his head, farve sucks at the dome
    GET INTO FARVE"S HEAD DEFENCE! :P

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am looking forward to seeing the "Packers Suck - Favre Swallows" T-shirts again...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

duvaldomo is offline Coach

I think we can beat the packers without giving it a second thought. Score slowly early. Hopefully can keep brett farve from getting in a rhythm. Run the ball up the field 75% of the time with AP/CT/MeMo, should be successful. Tjack or Holcomb needs to take care of the ball and dont try to force the ball and turn it over. The packers will pass 95% of the time I can see that happening, so griffin, Marcus NEED to be ready, if we loose this game I can see us blaming them two. They are the key to success

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Mr" wrote:
    "skum" wrote:
    That passrush.. gotta work.. Send EJ everytime along with the 4 up front

That offense.. gotta work.. Chester might be back.. Win the cointoss, score on the opening drive - and the continue to run the f0kin ball

Pass plays to AD and Chester all day long, in the redzone.. THROW IT TO SIDNEY RICE!
    Good idea. Blitz the middle linebacker in a cover-2 system every play. They'll never think to throw it over the middle.
    People have to realize for every adjustment made on the football field, there is an adjustment to counter that.

Football is a game of adjustments, disguise, quessing, gambling, and surprise.

Duh, on the 4 up front.
    What else would we do with them?
    It's not like Pat is going to cover the flat.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast