Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jer
    Jer is offline Rookie

from a Packers fan point of view

Just thought I'd update you on the state of the Packers and how the fans feel.

Just about everyone is down on the coaching which is the right thing because this has been a problem for a few years here with MS. He doesn't learn from his mistakes. I'm not saying I don't think we'll win the divison, but if he keeps this up and Rossley and Slowik continually put out terrible game plans then I don't expect much. If we get to the playoffs we wont last long.

I've noticed that coaching is what really separates the best. The two best were in it last year based on how they coached that year-not past crudentials. Belichick and Fox. Just under him were guys like Tony Dungy and Andy Reid. Parcell's took a team that no one thought could make it to the playoffs! Parity is brought about by coaching. Any team can beat someone on any given Sunday and I gotta believe that coaching is what makes or breaks that parity.

Look at Sherman, look at Tice-the guys a moron we all know it.

I said that coaching was what killed us in the Eagles game. Forget the pick or 4th and 26-If we go for it one 4th and one none of that ever happens!

Just thought I'd chime in. Mike Flanagan is out for the season. Thats a dagger in my heart.

I'm still a loyal Packer backer, but boy have we been hit hard w/ injuries. I know you guys have been as well. If the Packers are going to the playoffs they will not lose against the Giants.

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Couldn't agree with you more.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Tice is a moron? Good point, lol. He has been there, done that, longer than any NFL coach. And is now coaching. Morons do NOT make that jump. Period. Is he learning? Yes. Do rookies make mistakes? Yes. Does anyone know off hand what Belicheck and Parcells first year win-loss was? How about Walsh? Straight to the superbowl, first year, I am sure. =P. Walsh says, offense sells tickets, defense wins conference's and kicking wins championships. But maybe he is wrong. I am sure Belichek could go into AZ and have them in the superbowl next year, or even in 3. Same with Parcells. Jer, are you really telling me that Fox COACHED his way into winning all those close, close, close games? None of the coaches play. The whole nine yards IS a team effort. BTW, tough luck on the injuries, and we are feeling the same. As are, it seems, a lot of other teams. Crazy year for injuries.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

I'll disagree with you, UT, but I won't go on a Tice rampage or anything.

I think you are right, that injuries today make a HUGE impact and how well a team does, but I do believe coaching DOES make a big difference, and sometimes, the biggest difference in whether a team goes all the way or not.

There is so much parity in the NFL that its often how well the team plays together and what they do in critical situations that make the difference. A lot of that comes down to coaching. Bellichek is a great example. The fact that Parcells took a team with no talent into the playoffs last year is also testament to the power of coaching to an NFL team.

I'll let you infer my opinion of Tice's coaching based on the Vikings finish last season.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    I'll disagree with you, UT, but I won't go on a Tice rampage or anything.

I think you are right, that injuries today make a HUGE impact and how well a team does, but I do believe coaching DOES make a big difference, and sometimes, the biggest difference in whether a team goes all the way or not.

There is so much parity in the NFL that its often how well the team plays together and what they do in critical situations that make the difference. A lot of that comes down to coaching. Bellichek is a great example. The fact that Parcells took a team with no talent into the playoffs last year is also testament to the power of coaching to an NFL team.

I'll let you infer my opinion of Tice's coaching based on the Vikings finish last season.

I agree with pack fans on one thing, that tice is a moron and isn't the coach we need to lead us to the super bowl. The only reason why red didn't fire him after last seasons meltdown, was because he is the lowest paid coach in the league and red is a cheap*ss.

Okay, now I'll go on a Tice rampage...

Someone on a Packer board had the audacity to compare Sherman to Tice, saying they were carbon copies of one another.

I'm not happy with Sherman right now, either, but I think the two are very different.

Somy to disagree with UT, but being a player in the NFL doesn't translate to being a good coach, and his rookie year mistake of the "Randy Ratio" is already his one mulligan.

Sherman overplans. He is like the computer geek who programs in complex algorithms and then doesn't understand when they don't work. He's a great planner, but he can't adjust when the other team makes changes that he didn't plan for.

And he drafts like he's the owner of a fantasy football team. "Hey, I need the best kicker, so I'll take Vanderjagt in Round 5".

Tice, though, seems to be the opposite. He stares like a deer in headlights. I was counting the number of times he makes excuses, and says things like "We're happy just the way were are".

How many times last year did he say "Hey, we're 6-1!" "Hey, we're 6-3!" "Hey, we're leading the division!" while you guys fell apart at the end of the season?

He just did it again against Philly...can't remember what he said, but something to the effect of that other teams would be happy with what you guys had.

Sherman comes in and overplans with his blinders on.

Tice goes on bluster and yelling, then when things fall apart around him, he doesn't have the ability to pull it together.

So, before you rip on Sherm, I ripped on him, too.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

dart18 is offline Asst. Coach

umm so arent you saying there both morons in their own special way?
    Sometimes I like to think there is more to life than being you know. . . really really good looking.
    -Derrick Zoolander

Exactly!!! :-)

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I'll agree with the coaching angle to a point. A bad coach can cost teams games. At the same time, they aren't the guys responsible for executing on the field. You've got to have the horses to win the race. As good as Parcells is, he played a weak schedule last season and his team showed nothing late in the year and in round one of the playoffs. Bellichek's Browns team showed nothing way back when.

I don't think Tice is a bad coach, though sometimes I question his decisions to not go for the throat (i.e. go for the score early and often rather than controlling the ball and clock). Over the last few seasons, the Vikings simply didn't have enough talent on defense to be top contenders. I think Green Bay is in that same boat now. Mike Sherman and Bob Slowik won't be out there trying to cover Randy Moss, and I don't think that there is a defensive strategy they can come up with (short of the old lead pipe to the knee) with the lack of defensive talent they have to slow down the Vikings passing attack, or just about any other decent passing offense around the league.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Nothing you've said, pat, I can disagree with.

Kind of scary how many similarities our two teams have, isn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast