Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Packers could face new Vikings defensive scheme

Packers could face new Vikings defensive scheme

Posted on Thu, Oct. 20, 2005
    (from The News-Sentinel Fort Wayne)
    COLIN FLY
    Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. - With a week off, Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers thought they had an early jump on picking apart a previously porous Vikings defense.

That changed suddenly on Sunday.

After a rash of injuries on defense, the Vikings rolled out a 3-4 alignment, or three defensive linemen and four linebackers, instead of a 4-3, which is the more common scheme in the NFL and the one the Packers use.

Minnesota lost to Chicago 28-3, but Favre said the score was meaningless.

"They stuffed Chicago, they really did," Favre said. "The score was no indication of how their defense played."

The Vikings defense sacked Bears quarterback Kyle Orton three times and only gave up 95 yards rushing and 97 yards passing despite falling to 1-4. The 192 yards allowed were 104 yards fewer than the Vikings had allowed in any other game.

"They just completely changed their scheme," Favre said. "They went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 the whole game. I don't know if it's because of their injuries, but they went from being a zone team to a man team."

Favre also said they greatly increased their pressure on Orton and the Bears offense.

It was part of an aggressive approach the Vikings hoped to have on defense after adding linebackers Sam Cowart and Napoleon Harris, cornerback Fred Smoot, defensive tackle Pat Williams, and former Packers safety Darren Sharper.

But the unit gave up 504 yards in an embarrassing 37-8 loss in Cincinnati the second week of the season, and has surrendered 300 or more yards in the Vikings' other two losses before Sunday's defeat.

Sharper said it takes time with that many new faces to get comfortable with each other.

"I kind of predicted that we would start playing better at the middle part of the season," he said. "When you do add new faces it takes awhile for the team to jell. Right now, were getting to that point when were starting to play better as a total defensive unit."

Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates said the Vikings' off week before the Bears game helped them implement the new scheme because teams can't typically change that quickly in the middle of the season.

"That's quite a drastic change when you go from a four-man front to a three-man front, and (they) did a nice job with it," Bates said.

Offensive coordinator Tom Rossley said the key to beating the Vikings remains the ability to run the football, even with a depleted unit that includes a banged-up Ahman Green (thigh tendon) along with third-down back Tony Fisher and recently signed ReShard Lee.

"Ahman Green's got to have a big game for us, as does Fish," Rossley said. "Fish has got to step up and assume Najeh's role."

The group lost Najeh Davenport for the season with a broken leg in the Packers' 52-3 win over the Saints. Fisher, primarily the team's third-down back, and Lee, signed after wide receiver Terrence Murphy went on the injured reserve list on Oct. 6, will get spot work.

Favre, who has thrown for 518 yards, seven touchdowns and just one interception in his last two games, said Green Bay's run sets the Packers up to succeed, regardless of the defensive alignment the Packers will face.

"If you can't run the ball, it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the passing game - obviously the quarterback," Favre said. "You have to be able to control their pressure, their pass rush by running the football well enough. Part of that is keeping yourself in manageable down and distances. If you run on first down and get negative one, now you're in second-and-11 and that's difficult."

Green needs a breakout game with just 206 yards on 61 carries and no touchdowns so far, and now the Packers must face a new defensive wrinkle in their long rivalry with Minnesota.

Favre pointed to limiting turnovers and an effective ground attack.

"In order to win over there there's a couple of things we have to do that we have done in the games we've won there before," Favre said. "It's no secret what we have to do."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: [b]Packers could face new Vikings defensive scheme[/b]

Hopefully our new defensive scheme throws them off and we get to Favre a lot!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

TroyWilliamson is offline Starter

The 3-4 scheme looked alright last week hopefully it will have a large impact against the packers this week.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

we better get the w!!!!

Go vikes!!

Articnv is offline Coach

godo means instead of havign 2 weeks prepare for us there back down to 1 week )

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

We will see I guess I hope it was not just the unkown of it and the Bears O that made it work.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Something tells me that the bears O really helped it look good!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

We only have one scheme...beating their sorry butts back to the stone age!

That's what I'm talkin' bout!!

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

This is one of the few news article concerning the Vikings/Packer game that actually talked x's and o's! Not one mention of the ...
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast