Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Packers corners having trouble with Javon Walker in minicamp

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    How many years has it been now since Hovan even got a sack?
    Less than one...his last sack came in the Arizona game in week 17.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Packers defensive backfield nothing special

Texpack -

Thanks for your thoughtful insight. I agree that the trio of Packers receivers are pretty good. Not great, but good. Walker could really turn the corner this season and become a superstar. Driver could return to his 2002 levels.

I'll disagree to a point about the depth of the Vikings secondary. Ken Irvin at nickel has a ton of NFL experience and defended quite a number of passes last season. He is getting pretty old, and does get burned/commit a penalty on occasion, but he also occasionally makes a good play. Tyrone Carter as the #1 backup at safety was good enough to start for the Jets for more than half of last season. He won't be confused with a Pro Bowler, but he isn't chopped liver either.

Don't know what to say about the Packers secondary. McKenzie is very good, and I agree, I think he'll play for the Packers this season because he'll have no other options. Faced with not getting a paycheck, and possibly having to repay part of his signing bonus, he'll most likely play and start. A lot of Packer fans have been somewhat trashing Darren Sharper lately, but I suspect that is because he hasn't been generating the INTs he did a few years back. Most experts still rate him as a top safety. Al Harris isn't bad at the other CB spot, but he isn't all that good any more either. A competent NFL starter, but nothing special. I'd take Winfield or Brian Williams over Harris at this point. It's also rumored that Harris will be one of those CBs who will really get hurt by the new enforcement of the 5 yard rule. Mark Roman played for the Bengals last season. Since I live here in Cincinnati, I can tell you that Roman is a fairly solid but unspectacular player. He won't kill you, but he won't win any games for you either. Rookies Carroll and Thomas could provide the quality depth you are talking about; that remains to be seen how fast they come up to speed. I don't remember any other Packer DBs that instilled any fear in me as a Vikings fan. For that matter, I would suspect whatever DBs the Packers put on the field will have a hard time dealing with Moss, Robinson, Burleson and Campbell should the Vikings decide to come out with any 4 WR sets.

The big thing the Packers may well have trouble with is run defense. Without Gilbert Brown plugging the middle, I expect the Packers to become very vulnerable to the run. Then it will be a matter of the Packers picking their poison....bring up 8 in the box to stop the run and get killed by the pass, or keep the safety back and get run on all day long.

Congratulations for the Packers winning the NFC North last season. It took a 4th and 28 miracle play on the final play of the season by Arizona for the Packers to win it. Up to that play, the Vikings had led the division since it began with a whipping of the Packers in Lambeau. The Vikings secondary and LB corps should be much improved this season, preventing the kind of midseason defensive collapse they had last year. Add to that the fact that the Vikings are pretty young overall, with many of their star players just entering their prime, while Brett Favre is a year or two from hanging it up. I predict the Vikings and Lions will be fighting it out for the NFC North title in 2005 and the forseeable future beyond. This year the Vikes and Pack will fight it out, but I think the Vikes will prevail.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

As Denny Green so profoundly put it "The proof is going to be in the pudding".

The cheeseheads can not stop are receivers (not with the guys the have right know).
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Purplepat,

Once again, excellent points I guess I don't expect anyone to agree with everything I say. I have my slant and the people here have theres. It's building up to a fantastic season I hope both teams stay healthy. I hate it win the best don't play!

I think Jackson and Hunt aare solid up the middle. The Packers will need help from the back up tackles in the rotation. The Packers have drafted 4 DTs the last 2 years in less than the 3rd round certainly one should be able to step up. Kampman will be a solid 1st and second down DE opposite KGB. The other pass rusher may be Jason Gilden or someone else released before camp?

The troop of DBs McKenzie and Harris should be starters. I agree Harris is not a long term solution and should probably be relagated to Nickel or Dime. Michael Hawthorne is 6'3" CB may start on the right side especially over Moss. If he gets help over the top maybe Green Bay could limit his Yards after the catch. CB Chris Johnson was injured last year but, runs a sub 4.2 40yd dash and is 6'0" tall. Erwin Swiney is fast and physical a good run supporter and tackles well (Nebraska). Schools out on Ahmed Carroll and Joey Thomas the two rookies at least one should contribute right away.

I think the Packers strategy with the Vikings will be to stop the run on 1st down and switch quickly to nickel or dime on second and third to accomodate the formidable passing attack and speedy Bennett. So, I do think that the Packers will need tremendous depth at DB. The Vikings may counter this by employing a hurry up offensive strategy.

Sharper should be moved to SS and Roman to FS this would allow for Sharper to be involved in run support and be accounted for in case he blitzs. Fuller from TCU (my alma mater) should also be noted as a fairly decent backup safety.

The linebackers are O.K. Diggs and Barnett. Navies has experience, size, and seems to have overcome his greatest shortcomming--injuries.

The Vikings indeed may take the North crown this year but, don't expect us to give it away! The Packers mystique should no longer be questioned after the Vikings lost the title to a team which started out just 3-4. Bring your "A" game you'll need it. May the best team WIN, they always do in football!
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Sub 4.2? Link.

edit: Sherman later gave up a sixth-round pick in next year’s draft to jump just a spot ahead of Oakland in the seventh round and select Louisville cornerback Chris Johnson, who had the fastest 40-yard dash (about 4.23 seconds) of all the prospects the Packers timed this year.

In short, he's as fast as Moss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Texpack, that is a very good description of the packer D. I also think Kampmann is a very good D lineman, at least from what he has done in his two years or so. You talk about McKenzie like he is going to be with you guys this year though? Is he still holding out, or did he finally break? I haven't heard much about him lately!! The biggest problem you guys will have (just like the rest of the league) is containing Moss, not stopping him. I may be biased (ok I am) but it will be tough for anybody to flat out stop his production. Shutting him down would be no TDs and under 50 yards!! I can't wait for the season to start.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Thank you Randy84 you are apparently well informed.

The Packers can only hope to limit Moss in yardage and keep him out of the endzone. The man is very tough to contain.

Mike McKenzie's status has not changed and I am speculating as are others he will return because he has a lot to lose by not and some major $$ to pay back. In recent history I have only known the great Barry Sanders to pay back his team and not return.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    Thank you Randy84 you are apparently well informed.

The Packers can only hope to limit Moss in yardage and keep him out of the endzone. The man is very tough to contain.

Mike McKenzie's status has not changed and I am speculating as are others he will return because he has a lot to lose by not and some major $$ to pay back. In recent history I have only known the great Barry Sanders to pay back his team and not return.
    The problem you're not addressing, Tex, is that the sheer manpower needed to keep Moss under 100 yards and out of the end zone will mean that either Robinson is raping you deep, or Michael Bennett is going Barry Sanders on you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Robinson won't be raping many deep this year he's a posession reciever. I am more afraid of him inside the 20 yard line.

Bennett is best stopped by disrupting the offensive line up the middle. He like most backs seem to be less threatening when he's facing the sidelines. Bennett isn't much to tackle if he's not at full speed. He wasn't in college and I don't see much difference now. The right side of the Vike O-line isn't very impressive. Odds are the vikings will run Left a lot this year. I look for the Packers to keep the Vikings under 24 points in Green Bay and less than 30 points in the dome.

Who's stopping Green Bay??

It will probably come down to turnovers it usually does.

TWISTED is offline Training Camp

Another witty and insighful post TEXPACK. I saw the other day that the Vikings O-line was rated 2nd in the league. Right behind KC. Making them the best unit in the NFC. Also, I dont want Bennet runnin dive plays anyways. Thats what Moe and Ontario are for. Remember them?
    cf7231f7c41f3d4c4e95634c9d920584

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast