mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

P.Will plays with a Chip on his Shoulder.

Pat Williams plays with chip on his shoulder
    By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Sports Writer
    November 30, 2005

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Every time Pat Williams steps on the field, he plays as if he has a personal vendetta against his opponent.

In a way, he does.

Teased as a child for a speech impediment that still lingers today, and undrafted out of college 10 years ago, Williams never lacks for motivation.

"I play with a big chip on my shoulder," the Minnesota Vikings nose tackle said. "I always play like I have something to prove."

Growing up destitute in Monroe, La., Williams had two children while still in high school and credits the mother, now his wife, with keeping him focused on his dream of playing in the NFL.

He still speaks with an occasional stutter that made him the butt of jokes as a child. It comes out whenever he gets nervous or excited. It's usually the latter, because the affable Williams rarely gets nervous these days.

The former Buffalo Bill has become one of the best defensive tackles in the league and is one of the biggest reasons -- literally and figuratively -- why the Vikings have overcome a nightmare start to sneak back into playoff contention.

"He's so quick off the snap," coach Mike Tice said. "He takes it personal when they try to single block him with the center."

Listed generously at 6-foot-3 and 317 pounds -- he may have had one foot off the scale at the weigh-in -- Williams is extremely athletic, one of the few nose tackles who practically plays sideline to sideline.

"He's playing at an All-Pro level," defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said.

And Williams' value hasn't just come on the field, where he is third on the team with 64 tackles and also has eight tackles for loss and 1 1/2 sacks. Speech problem or not, he is a vocal leader in the locker room.

"He's a good leader for us and a lot of fun to be around," Tice said. "He's quite the character, but he comes to work every day to prepare to get better. I really like having Pat around."

Tice isn't the only one.

Williams routinely draws chuckles from his teammates during practice and in the locker room with his playful jokes and his jovial demeanor.

After signing a $13 million free agent contract this summer, concerns about paying the light bill or putting food on the table are long gone.

"I just go out there and have fun," Williams said. "I don't ever take anything serious. It's all fun to me. I don't take the game serious, nothing. I go out there and let everything go between the lines. I'm just free out there. So I just go out there and destroy everybody."

He has instilled a surly attitude among his defensive teammates that hasn't existed around here in years.

"I got it in guys' heads," he said. "I tell them, 'Go out there every day thinking nobody can block you. You can't go out there thinking, can't be scared of nobody. You just have to think you can destroy the guy in front of you. So I got all the young guys thinking that."

After fielding one of the worst defenses in the league for the last decade, the Vikings added Williams, safety Darren Sharper, cornerback Fred Smoot, defensive end Erasmus James and linebacker Sam Cowart to turn things around.

It took a while, but Williams and Co. are finally living up to the hype. They have forced 15 turnovers during the team's four-game winning streak that has them above .500 after a 1-4 start.

Williams took that poor start personally, making it his mission to right the ship.

"We started off slow, I was kind of down at first," Williams said. "But now everybody's communicating better, everybody's talking to each other. So we're playing a whole lot better now."

It all culminated in a dominating performance last week against Cleveland. The Vikings (6-5) forced five turnovers and sacked Trent Dilfer five times in a 24-12 victory. Williams led the way with 10 tackles and also gave encouragement to rookie tackle C.J. Mosley, who filled in for the injured Kevin Williams.

"He's a real outspoken guy," Mosley said. "He just told me what to do, I did it, and it worked."

Big Pat didn't waste all his breath on his teammates. He spent the rest of the afternoon jawing with the Cleveland offensive line, his other favorite pastime.

"I always smell fear, in the centers in the guards, in everybody," he said. "I smell it and I go get it. It's worse with the guards because they're saying, 'Shoot, we have to deal with this guy again.' "

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvhugA1Sjsg2kKX_pMaxwEOM2bYF?slug=ap-vikings-williamsvendetta&prov=ap&type=lgns

digital420 is online now Team Alumni

Re: P.Will plays with a Chip on his Shoulder.

nice read!!!

i have seen some of the footage from the play by play on nfl.com.. and damn he is a BIG and MEAN mofo!!!

i'd hate 2 be the center knowing he's comin over me!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Pat is on the tops of my list as a favorite player this year, he has truly come in and played with heart and toughness..

What a great pick-up for us....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

SamDawg84 Guest

pat williams is funny

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

If Pat Williams had a chip on his shoulder, he'd probably eat it. j/k

The guy's a beast, definitely been a good addition to our D.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"JDogg926" wrote:
    If Pat Williams had a chip on his shoulder, he'd probably eat it. j/k

The guy's a beast, definitely been a good addition to our D.
    Pat could have a full rack of ribs on his shoulder and not even know.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Gotta love this guy...what a difference he's made to our defense. Our big gain, Buffalo's big loss!! Go Pat!!
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...