Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Are owners at fault for Minnesota's unprecedented sports skid?

Are owners at fault for Minnesota's unprecedented sports skid?

Tom Powers: Are owners at fault for Minnesota's unprecedented sports skid? - TwinCities.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild: The biggest losers

Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild: The biggest losers - TwinCities.com

Looking At Ownership's Role In The Vikings' Downturn

Looking At Ownership's Role In The Vikings' Downturn - Daily Norseman

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    So these guys are finally catching up to....well....me? They really need to pay closer attention. Of course Zygi and Mark are to blame, THEY made all the critical decisions that lead us to where we are. Trouble is, they KEEP making piss poor decisions, and it's going to continue to cost us.

Caine

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    So, how do we right the ship???

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Wilf has had some failures, the triangle of authority, going all in on the 2009 and 2010 season, and the complete failure that was 2011.
    On the other hand he has had some successes too, upgrading the training facilities in Mankato, bringing in key free agents like Favre, Allen, Hutchinson, and of course the grand daddy of them all securing the Vikings future in Minnesota by getting a stadium.

I think Wilf is a good owner that is learning on the job. I think he was smart to hire a GM this year, but time will tell.

I also think aquiring a franchise QB is huge. Jim Irsay, owner of the Colts, might not be considered a very good owner had Peyton Manning not fallen in his lap. Some things just come down to luck, and being in the right place at the right time.

Also It's worth noting that even the best owners sometimes have losing seasons, and take several years to rebuild.

My biggest hope is that having the stadium issue resolved brings stability to the Vikings and ownership. I think there was a lot of pressure to win now the last few years to secure stadium funding.

Sorry long rant, just my thoughts on a difficult subject that the fans have little window into.
    Last edited by jmcdon00; 05-22-2012 at 01:41 PM.

JPPT1974 is offline Starter
    Well hope that the stadium situation will be bringing revenue in and that it will help in MN sports.
    NFL 2013 is Here!

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So these guys are finally catching up to....well....me? They really need to pay closer attention. Of course Zygi and Mark are to blame, THEY made all the critical decisions that lead us to where we are. Trouble is, they KEEP making piss poor decisions, and it's going to continue to cost us.

Caine
    What are your feelings on a owner by the name of Jerry Jones? If it wasn't for the Vikings and the walker trade they never would of had their dynasty if you will. What have the cowboys done since then? To say the Wilfs are screwing things up is just plain crazy. Not to mention a bit stupid. I highly doubt you would have done anything better. Maybe I am wrong but I doubt it.

Wait for it............

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    What are your feelings on a owner by the name of Jerry Jones? If it wasn't for the Vikings and the walker trade they never would of had their dynasty if you will. What have the cowboys done since then? To say the Wilfs are screwing things up is just plain crazy. Not to mention a bit stupid. I highly doubt you would have done anything better. Maybe I am wrong but I doubt it.
    Yup...you're right. You're insight into the situation has pierced the veil of my shallow empty posturing.

Oh...wait....no.....you haven't got a friggin clue.

I'll take your blatherings one at a time....

Jerry Jones is another example of a guy who doesn't know when to let go. He wasn't a "Football" guy, and he drove away the ones who were (Landry, Johnson, Parcells). As a result, he - like Al Davis before him - is constantly chasing what he won't likely see again...respect.

Of course, pointing out Jones' failings as an owner doesn't validate Zygi. If anything, it damns him further by highlighting the fact that owners who meddle too much screw up their franchises. So, not really sure why you'd even toss Jones into the mix unless you haven't the foggiest notion of the complexities of the topic at hand.

So, how has Zygi been a SUCCESSFUL owner? Do we have a Superbowl trophy? Nope. Winning franchise? nope. Strong prospects for building on? Not really. A strong front office with the ability to attract and sign and/or draft talent? No. A strong coaching staff with the ability tom develop talent or develop quality game plans? No.

See a pattern?

What did Zygi do wrong that lead to this? HE WANTED TO PLAY "FOOTBALL GUY"!!!!!! Then, to make matters worse, he hired his FEWKIN BROTHERS to be a part of the process!!!! He hired Childress because Childress was a newbie HC and didn't have the cred to tell Zygi to stay in the owner's suite (Same reason Childress hired Bevell). When THAT blew up in his face, he went and hired Leslie Frazier for the SAME REASON. He gave a nod to the notion of having a GM by hiring Spielman, but Spielman's track record is ABYSMAL, and he doesn't have the clout to tell Zygi to stay in the box either.

In short, we will NEVER have a Cowher, Parcells, or a Holmgren here because a REAL HC wouldn't stand for Zygi keeping his fingers in the mix. Mostly because he doesn't have a friggin clue.

Finally, you said I wouldn't do any better. I beg to differ. I am smart enough to know what I don't know...and what I don't know is the inner workings of an NFL franchise. THEREFORE, I would have sought the advice of the NFL home office, and compiled a list of possible GM names, interviewed them each while comparing their successes and failures. Finally, I would have hired the candidate I felt would give the franchise the greatest opportunity to succeed and I would have LET HIM DO WHAT HE'S PAID TO DO!!!!!! My Brother would NOT be the President of Football operations - mostly because he's a Packtard, but also because (like ME ) he's just a FAN!!!

So, please tell me where I'm wrong. Please show me how Zygi has actually improved our situation (and don't even try to mention the new stadium ). If you knew my history, you'd see that from DAY ONE I was one of a handful here who was advocating a GM. I even specifically stated that my greatest fear was that our new owner would want to "play with his new toy"...which he's done.

But, please, don't let my short condensed version of reality dissuade you from elaborating on just how "stupid" I am.

I can hardly wait.

Caine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast