Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Overall Assessment Of The First Game

I thought we looked good overall.
    I am just used to seeing us gobble up chunks of big yards.
    It is kind of frustrating.
    Our running game looks to be well in tact.
    I hope that neither Brad Johnson or T.Jack go down because if this happens, we are in big, big trouble.
    McMahon threw some good passes, but some bad ones too.
    Marcus didn't make him look good on the long deep pass he bobbled.
    Who is Steven Jackson?
    Catch the rock next time!

Prophet Guest

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    Yeah, I agree that the intentional grounding was a big big mistake on his part, but one has to take into account that he has been a career third stringer without much real playing time (unlike McMahon) and he is bound to make mistakes like that (that's why he is a third string/practice squad guy) especially in his first preseason game, but to me, it also still doesn't take away from what else he did while in the game. I think he played rather well as a whole.

Also, I'm wondering, if McMahon is there as the deep back-up, why did JT get so much more playing time than McMahon? Maybe that role will switch next week, who knows...we'll see. Either way, after last night, I see the QB depth chart as:

Brad Johnson
    Tavaris Jackson
    JT O'Sullivan
    Mike McMahon

I'm still thinking the depth chart stays: BJ, MM, TJ, JT.
    They played JT to give him a chance to shine or suck to see if they should use a roster spot on him.
    I'm sure they'll give McMahon more playing time during the preseason so they can make a decision between one of those two clowns.
    One of them is going for sure, which one?
    It will probably be JT after the preseason plays out because even though McMahon sucks ass he may be able to play better Dilferesque football if the situation arises.

Top_Speed is offline Starter

Pretty much everything has been covered about the upsides and downsides of our 1st preseason game. Yes, the un-special teams need major work.

Not that I'm not on the T-Jack bandwagon but I
    thought the overall character was evident in the team last night and that skol'd the show. Having Oakland have all those mental mistakes (not really new for them) but we actually looked like a team that had concentration to detail. Woah, this is new.

#1 Cudos to the D!
    1st teamers were swarming on and off the ball. Everybody was in postition to make their presence (no big passing and running gaps like past years). Quite aggressive I might add too, like seeing the db's coming in the D-line gaps creating havoc and even getting a sack to boot!

Keep up the MO baby!

Home Sweet Dome...

Rastak is offline Rookie

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Bad:

Our offensive line did the worst of any pre season team Ive watched this year. So what if its pre season, at least come out to play. All the money we spent, they better get their pooh straight.

Taylor flat out sucked.

T. Williamson sucks. Id like to see him traded before everyone else sees this and hes worth something.

Worst special teams ever.

Putting Greenway on special teams right off the bat. BAD coaching!

GOOD:

Brad Johnson was great. Give that man a raise Dickless err Childresss

Koreen Robinson. This guy will be our bread and butter.

Our starting deffensive line. Did a gol 'darnit good job, in everything from pressure to coverage. We may be back to the days where our deffense will have to win games.

TJ should be named our 2nd string QB right away. The man has talent. He was picked too early, but at least he can play.

I guess you missed the Green Bay game eh? Almost every play was a jailbreak and Favre/Rodgers were running for their lives....I didn't see that at all last night at the dome.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    True. I'm also thinking that Childress is showing his hand on all the run plays he has in mind for the regular season.

Most of the runs were to the left side, as expected. I don't recall seeing any going to the outside.
    I'm also thinking that Childress is showing his hand on all the run plays
    Think you meant to say not showing his hand.

Childress came out and said that preseason is going to be vanilla and that they don't want to show anything if they don't have to.
    One of Hutchinson's and Birk's strengths is they are both great at pulling and I think we will see a lot of it during the regular season and I think the line needs some time to jell and to work as a unit (not that kind Cajun).

I think this was the 1st preseason game not the 10th game of the regular season, and let's remember that Oakland has had a week more of practice and had already played a game.
    That is a big difference and the Vikings next week will be better than the team we saw last night, they will correct some problems and install more plays and shift players around and all in all it will just be a smoother operation in the second game.

I feel sorry for the raiders fan because Moss and Brooks are going to implode, and it isn't going to be pretty.
    This was there second game and the Vikings looked like the better team.

Hats off for the lack of stupid penalties (except JT O'Sul
    bonehead) they looked like a much more disciplined and professional team then we have seen in Minnesota in a long time.

T-Will is getting a bad rap and I see people judging him on a quarter of football, when he only had a couple passes thrown his way and one he was interfered with and the other he made a nice catch.
    Reports out of camp is he is catching everything thrown his way and the coaching staff was surprised at how good of a possession receiver he has been.
    Let's let the regular season be the judge of how he is doing and if he is a bust or not!

I have not heard of T-Will returning kickoffs in training camp, and if he has been it hasn't been very often or not reported.
    So I don't understand having him out there to start the game as a kickoff returner, and if that is the case then don't be surprised if sh*t happens. And on that play the Raider speared the ball and knocked it out, so I would not judge him to harshly on the fumble.

D player of the game: Farwell.
    (he may not make the team but he got noticed)

O Player of the game: T-Jack.
    (I can not wait to see how he looks 4 years from now)

ST Player of the game: Kluwe.
    (one of the few highlights of special teams)

And the 55 yard field goal attempt the broadcast only showed the endzone shot but it looked like the snap and placement didn't go well but it was hard to tell form the angle and they didn't show any replays.

The Raider's should have been called for pass interference on 4 or 5 different plays and we got no calls, good to see the refs are at mid season form!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Rastak is offline Rookie

Raiders also took down several Viking pass rushers on the inside, with no calls. Hell, the Vikes had a great pass rush even with the two or three no calls.

Del Rio Guest

"Rastak" wrote:
    Raiders also took down several Viking pass rushers on the inside, with no calls. Hell, the Vikes had a great pass rush even with the two or three no calls.
    I saw two blantant holds against our players. On one the ref even reached for his flag, but then decided not to. Probably because the Raiders already had 2000 penalties.

Vikadelic is offline Starter

All in all very pleased with the performance last night.

I missed any of Longwells kick offs though.
    Did any of them manage to make it into the end zone?
    I have read that he is known for his short kick offs and wanted to know if it was any issue last night.

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Bad:

Our offensive line did the worst of any pre season team Ive watched this year. So what if its pre season, at least come out to play. All the money we spent, they better get their pooh straight.

Taylor flat out sucked.

T. Williamson sucks. Id like to see him traded before everyone else sees this and hes worth something.

Worst special teams ever.

Putting Greenway on special teams right off the bat. BAD coaching!

GOOD:

Brad Johnson was great. Give that man a raise Dickless err Childresss

Koreen Robinson. This guy will be our bread and butter.

Our starting deffensive line. Did a gol 'darnit good job, in everything from pressure to coverage. We may be back to the days where our deffense will have to win games.

TJ should be named our 2nd string QB right away. The man has talent. He was picked too early, but at least he can play.

Ok u r an idiot because Twill is a great deep threat
    Taylor does not suck the o line was having trouble run blocking they will get better.

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I thought that overall the vikes played great, disciplined football, there wasnt many mistakes, besides the fumble, and I think that Childress and Tomlin have done a phenominal job makeing this a solid team

Thanks PurpleMafia

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast