Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Overall Assessment Of The First Game

I think it went well.. If it weren't for that idiot JT O'Sullivan, we would have pulled out the win..

TJ will be 2nd string before regular season starts..

O'Sucksalot will be cut..

1st team defense looked great..

Chester Taylor looked dogged when running (anyone else see this?)

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Is Bevell serious or is Loney still there? The running game was not working for them, yet on many occassions, 3rd & 9, 3rd & 7 (twice I belive) & on others, they chose to run the ball? WTF?

O'Sullivan - get him out of there. I've been saying that all off-season.

T-Jack looked good. I would love to see him get an opportunity with the starting unit this preseason.

The new cheerleaders & uniforms look great at less than a foot awawy.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

[size=16pt]Vikings vs. Raiders stats[/size]

At approx. 2 yards/carry on our running game, a lot of work needs to be done. It's definitely not what I expected with the improved line.

I'm glad to see Kluwe back ay 100% of his former self.

[size=16pt]Ciatrick Fason: Vikings No. 2 Running Back[/size]

8/14/2006 11:11:21 PM

Update:
    Fason has passed Mewelde Moore for No. 2 on the depth chart at running back. He rushed for 15 yards on seven carries and was the second back to enter Monday's preseason game after starter Chester Taylor. "But we continue to roll those guys," head coach Brad Childress told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "We evaluate them every night."

Recommendation:
    Fason was viewed as more of a short-yardage back, so this is somewhat of a surprise. Still, we'd expect Moore to be the second option once the season begins and perhaps he wasn't Monday because he's being used more on special teams as a punt returner. Whatever the case, boost Fason up your cheatsheet a bit.

Del Rio Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=16pt]Vikings vs. Raiders stats[/size]

At approx. 2 yards/carry on our running game, a lot of work needs to be done. It's definitely not what I expected with the improved line.

I'm glad to see Kluwe back ay 100% of his former self.
    That's exactly what I would expect out of a WCO. I don't think the line allowed Brad Johnson to get touched once, not even close did they?

Posted on Tue, Aug. 15, 2006

[size=16pt]Results mixed at best[/size]

Childress debuts with close loss

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Greenway leaves game with knee injury
    New broadcast trio makes its debut on ESPN
    View photos from the Vikings-Raiders game
    A memorable night started with a forgettable play.

A national audience tuned in Monday night as Brad Childress made his debut as Vikings coach, and receiver Randy Moss returned to the Metrodome for the first time since being traded to the Oakland Raiders.

But Childress and Moss immediately were upstaged.

On the opening kickoff, Oakland safety Jarrod Cooper leveled receiver Troy Williamson at the Vikings' 18-yard line, and linebacker Ryan Riddle recovered the fumbled ball, enabling the Raiders to take 3-0 lead. At the end of the game, Childress passed up a 39-yard field-goal try to avoid overtime, and the Vikings lost 16-13.

"It's amazing in football how the first play of the game affects the last play of the game," Childress said. "We should have been lining up to kick for the winner there."

In their first game under Childress, the Vikings turned in a decidedly mixed performance. The starting defense dominated, forcing the Raiders' starting offense to go three-and-out three times. The Vikings' No. 1 offense had a blasé first quarter, although it did patch together a solid eight-play, 56-yard touchdown drive. And the special teams struggled early before settling down as the game progressed.

But the Vikings didn't reach their ultimate goal of coming out of the game without injury. Linebacker Chad Greenway, their top draft pick, suffered an injury to his left knee in the first quarter on a kickoff return, although he left the field under his own power.

Heading into the game, Moss' return was one of the main stories.

As the first player introduced before the game, Moss received a warm ovation, with many fans rising to salute him, some wearing No. 84 Viking jerseys, some wearing No. 18 Raiders jerseys.

But Moss was not a factor, catching just one pass for 16 yards.

Childress for his part admitted he was nervous, but he added that he has always felt that way before a game.

"It's nice to look at the panorama," Childress said of the sellout crowd of 63,278. "But you have to get back on task."

As the play-caller, Childress watched his offense go three-and-out on the first series. But Childress showcased his version of the West Coast offense, featuring the traditional quick passes with a lot of inside runs. While the ground statistics weren't impressive, the Vikings' offense faced a Raiders front that often committed eight defenders to stopping the run.

"It doesn't concern me at all," fullback Tony Richardson said of the modest rushing yards. "We still have three more games before we really have to get this thing off the ground."

On their scoring drive, running back Chester Taylor ran the ball four times for 9 yards, including two first downs. Williamson got some redemption when he drew a 19-yard pass interference penalty on cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. On the next play, Taylor bolted in front of Richardson, who bulled his way 3 yards into the end zone for a touchdown that gave the Vikings a 7-3 lead.

"I don't think you'll see that too much," Richardson said. "That's why they pay Chester the big bucks. With Steve (Hutchinson) and Matt (Birk) blocking, I think coach Childress could have run that one in."

After that score, the Vikings' special teams made another mistake when Raiders cornerback Chris Carr broke a 60-yard kickoff return to the Vikings' 38-yard line. The defense forced a third consecutive three-and-out from the Raiders' starting offense, but kicker Sebastian Janikowski easily nailed a 55-yard field goal to cut the Vikings' lead to 7-6.

That was when the Minnesota starters left the game.

The highlight of the first half was the play of Vikings rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. He showed poise, athletic ability and, of course, that cannon of an arm. Jackson scrambled for 9 yards on his second play, and he just missed connecting with tight end Richard Owens on a long pass.

With 31 seconds left in the first half, Jackson led the second-string offense on an excellent drive. Starting at the 32, Jackson keyed the drive with a 10-yard scramble on which he broke a sack attempt by defensive end Kevin Huntley and hurdled linebacker Danny Clark.

Jackson then completed his next two passes for 27 yards, setting up a 41-yard field goal.

Jackson wasn't the only rookie who made some plays. Second-round pick Cedric Griffin, a cornerback, intercepted a pass, and fourth-round pick Ray Edwards and fifth-round pick Greg Blue each got a sack.

A couple of other highlights for the Vikings: Receiver Kevin Kasper returned a kickoff 64 yards, and Farwell was active on special teams and on defense, making several tackles and even tipping a pass. In addition, former Gophers linebacker Kyle McKenzie forced a fumble that the Vikings recovered in the fourth quarter.

"There are a ton of good things to work on," Childress said. "But I know when I turn that tape on, there will be some other things."

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Derrick Burgess got a hand within three feet of Brad on one play before McKinnie forced him way, way outside, but that's as close as they got.

I'm still hyped about Action Tarvaris Jackson. Boy looked good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

"Del" wrote:
    That's exactly what I would expect out of a WCO. I don't think the line allowed Brad Johnson to get touched once, not even close did they?
    How is a 2 yard average per game going to help you win ball games, even in a WCO?

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

The defense looked great...I loved the way they were collapsing the pocket on almost every play.

Linebackers played pretty well....I hope Greenway will be ok....we need him even if its for depth only.

Defensive backfield first teamers did a great job...the rest of the group was dicey at best...too many long pass plays connected in the second half.

Good O-line play is something that takes time...each player needs to know how the other one plays and it takes time to become a cohesive unit....It will come.

The runningbacks.... in particular Chester Taylor...was unimpressive but you cant run when there is no holes...hopefully he will look better when the line looks better...time will tell.

Wideouts had too many drops...K-Rob and M-Rob both dropped a pass or 2 and I dont see anyone complaining about them like some of you are talking about T-Will...Troy will be OK but it sometimes takes 3 years for a wideout to really break out....and Troy came from a run oriented offense so he is even more raw then most of the WR coming out of college....I suspect the lack of love toward Troy is a result of some wanting BMW or DJ etc.

Quarterbacks...BJ looked solid...he should do fine in this offense.
    Jackson.....What can I say but ......WOW....some of the older Viking fans should remember the way Daunte looked in his first preseason games.....the expression " a deer caught in the headlights" comes to mind....Jackson is grace under pressure...the kid looks like Vick running... but a REAL quarterback when he's passing....I'll say this one more time......WOW... his future is so bright...he better wear shades
    8)
    Mike Mac just plain sucked he looks completely lost out there....if anyone should be cut right away its Mike.
    O'Sullivan didnt look that bad to me...he moved the team down the field and had good touch on the ball and showed decent pocket presence...except for the one time he was chased out of the pocket and didnt throw the ball away and got called for grounding......dumb dumb play...but I would chalk that up to lack of game time experience.....he looked alot better than Mac but that isn't setting the bar very high.
    I see Jackson as the number#2 QB from here on out....number 3 is ???

Tightends...I dont recall them throwing to Wiggy of K-Sauce...but we all know what they can do.

Special teams is just flat awful...our kick and punt coverage was pathetic....Kasper had a couple nice returns but for the most part unimpressive.
    Kluwe...welcome back....he is going to be a big key for our team...if our offense continues to struggle...our defense will have to get the job done.....and Kluwe giving the opponents a long field on every kick will definitely help.
    Longwell looked good except for the 50+yarder he missed.....he kicked it plenty long....but wide right...he will be fine.

Childress looked composed and on top of things...not bad for a rookie...unlike Mr Tice who after several years still looked lost most of the time....the lack of penalties is a direct result of a more disciplined team....thanks to B-Chill...I liked what I saw and I love the fact that he didn't want to take the game to OT...it show he cares more about his team then the win.....NICE!

Kornholler sux he knows nothing about football....that was evident when he asked the guys to explain the silent count to him......Dennis Miller was better than Kornholer and Miller blew huge chunks.
    Kornholer was just looking to dig up dirt....hes a writer not an analyst...I find it hard to believe they couldn't find anyone better to do the job....I don't like Madden but I found myself missing him, when listening to Kornholer....geez I hope I can find a radio station to listen to without much delay because these guys were painful to listen to.

We didnt win the game but I saw alot of positive things in this game...once the offensive line gels we could be a good team sooner than later.

Just my 2 cents.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast