Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Overall Assessment Of The First Game

I'll add my two pennyworth based on the various reports on PP.O and elsewhere etc that I've read as I didn't see the actual game to make direct judgements.

Offense
    I'll cut the OL some slack at this time, learning a new blocking scheme needed for the WCO isn't something that is going to come together just based on two weeks of TC. Once the moves and scheme becomes instinctive then things will gel better. When you add a new LG and a RG (Hicks) - who was playing on the left side before with the eagles - then things won't just fall sweetly into place. Thing now is that they have some proper game film to analyse and see where things were breaking down, so good opportunities there to improve things quickly

TJ - he sounds very promising and not fazed at steooing up to the Pro's. If he keeps at this level then he will get to #2 quickly and be ready should Brad get injured.

WCO seems to be working so far at least, it may be uneventful but I think is something that this team can do well and play good football.

Defence
    Potential loss of Greenway sucks but I believe we have the players that can make up for that. Hopefully he will be back but we'll have to wait and see what the MRI today comes back with. Our D-Line sounds nasty and that they were getting pressure on the QB - great and something to look forward to every play that they are on the field. I like the sound that they were swarming to the ball as well - this has the makings of a strong group which is something not seen in Minnesota for awhile. Course there is a long way to go but the early indications are promising.

Special teams
    Sounds like they had a poor game, that is something that needs to be addressed and quickly and get TW off KR duties !! Thats not why we drafted him !
    Kluwe sounds like he was back to form and a 50 yd average for punts is great indeed- excellent !

Coaching
    Sure that Childress would have like to start with a win but like the fact of going for the 'win or bust' option at the end of the game. He appreciated it was pre-season and no need to be looking for OT, like he said they'd seen enough plays for what they needed. Bearing in mind that he probably has goals for each game then there's nothing to be gained by trying to over-reach.

Overall - sounds promising and the players will only get better as they analyse their play, rectify it and put it into play over the remaining preseason games. Like what I've read and heard so far
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Ok well...I see things a little different.

The Good:
    - Pressure, we got alot of pressure, first and second team, 5 sacks is a great feat for a team getting used to a new system.
    - 1st team defense, overall they looked great, they had Brooks confused and they'll get even better.
    - Mewelde, ok if he can stay healthy...he could beat out Taylor, the way Mewelde was running was rather impressive.
    - Cedric Griffin, what can I say 1 pick and the kid can hit he layed a few nice hits, he might beat out Smoot for the job at starting left corner.
    - Tarvaris Jackson, he looked very efficent and very aware of what was going on around him, looked solid he was very impressive.
    - O'Sullivan, Ok I don't get why everyone is bashing the guy, on some plays he looked very good and he avoided 3-4 sacks on one play, which was amazing, the problem was the receivers were not coming back to him and he tried to do to much, and he also drove us down the field on the last drive.
    - Leber/Farwell/McKenzie, these 3 played some great sound football, Leber is starting we know that but I hope to see the other 2 more.

Bad:
    - O-Line, looked kind of stingy to me and we really didn't run the ball that well with Chester.
    - Greenway Injury, Quite possibly lost for the season, I hope not but, doesn't look good.
    - Greg Blue, terrible cover saftey and looked sluggish, might beable to lay a hit but...I hope he never gets stuck covering a deepball again.
    - McMahon, ok this guy is useless he plain and simple is terrible, O'Sullivan out played him and our rookie did aswell, I smell a cut coming.

Not to much bad but what worries me is what we all thought would be our dominate spot, the O-Line especially since McKinnie has the bone break in his wrist and they didn't play to well, not up to expectation atleast.

Re: Overall Assesment Of The First Game

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    1 O'Sullivan sucks
    2 Jackson should be #2 QB
    3 A win would have been nice, but I was impressed how Childress didn't want to wear people out by going into ot.
    4. Cornheiser sucks.
    5. Who hasn't heard about the boat yet? [img width=91 height=67]http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/2.gif[/img]

100% agreed!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I only saw the first half because the live feed I was streaming online was, frankly, piss-poor, and at 2.30am I have no patience, even for my beloved Vikings, when Mike McMahon is single-handedly sucking the life out of me. Anyway, I have to agree with everyone else, the run game just wasn't there last night. Hopefully this is something that can be rectified in practice or with my game time. It was worrying to see Chester run to the left of our O-Line and only come up with 1 or 2 yard gains. On the other hand, our starting defence looks awesome. The front seven especially look dominant. I remember in the lead-up to the draft Robert Gallery was described as one of the greatest college O-Linemen in history, someone who had only given up a handful of sacks in his entire collegiate career. Well, Erasmus made him look like nothing out there. The Oakland pocket was consistently collapsed, and we would have had more sacks in the first quarter if Brooks didn't throw it away a couple of times. Brad Johnson looked cool, calm and collected in the pocket, making the throws and doing what he had to do. And the first-team offence eventually put a decent drive together and got a TD, which is really all I look for in pre-season. If the first-team offence can get a TD against the opposing first-team defence, then I'm happy. If the backups can get it done and gain the win, that's fantastic, but I'm not gutted if they don't.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Sadly I fell asleep at halftime. But then it's good that I can go here and use your eyes in retrospect to get an assesment of how the rest of the game went.

What I did see in the first half were pretty much what a lot of you have allready said. I did especially like how the defense did. They had some good stops, also in the redzone. It will be exciting when they go op against some better offenses.

The first team offense look fine. The running game will get better, and this could become a pretty dangerous team.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Positive:
    -I think that BJ and TJ at the QB position did great
    -Starting recievers looked sharp
    -Defensive line did GREAT
    -LB's did pretty good as well...no big runs let through
    -It was nice seeing Griffin make a big play
    -I liked most of the decisions Childress made(not the draw on 3rd and long though)
    -pass blocking from the OL

Negative:
    -Run blocking from the OL.

-I was really disappointed with the running game, but it might have been because of the extra blitzers
    -O'sulivan,OMG, he doesn't even deserve a vikings hat.
    He means nothing to anyone and I want him out. He reminds me of brett favre ;D
    -Childress letting O'sulivan play-acually letting him even have the privilege of witnessing a vikings game!

Redrouster is offline Pro-Bowler

I only watched the first quarter and a little od the second because it came on at 4 in the morning here. Here are my grades for the first stringers:
    QBs: B
    Offensive line:
    B
    Backs: B
    Receivers: B+
    Defensive line: A
    Defensive Backs: B-
    Special Teams: D+
    Agree/Disagree

carolinafan is offline Rookie

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    T. Jackson is gonna be a pimp in this league

T. Williamson does not look good. Hindsight, i still would have picked him over M. Williams since williams sucks but troy needs to step up.
    ???
    How can you make that assessment about TW.
    He played one freakin quarter, about 11 total plays, he caught one pass and was interfered with on another.
    No dropped balls.
    The Vikes ran the ball about 6 or those 11 plays.
    You guys kill me with these stupid assessments.
    I guess Moss really sucked.
    He had one catch.
    The only conclusion to be drawn from last night is to be thankful for Johnson, and the O line needs much work.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"Redrouster" wrote:
    I only watched the first quarter and a little od the second because it came on at 4 in the morning here. Here are my grades for the first stringers:
    QBs: B
    Offensive line:
    B
    Backs: B
    Receivers: B+
    Defensive line: A
    Defensive Backs: B-
    Special Teams: D+
    Agree/Disagree
    I'd disagree with your grade for the O-line. Or at least break it down and give them a B for pass blocking and a D for run blocking. Other than that I'd say you're spot on.

Del Rio Guest

The hit on Tavaris Jackson was illegal. That being said if he continues to play like that he will get killed. He needs to get low and preserve his body.

I saw 3 normal Stunts and 2 advanced stunts. The defensive Tackles were slow getting off the ball. The Defensive ends were very fast and were containing very well.

O'Sullivan needs a haircut, and needs to learn how to throw the ball away, and pass, and pretty much anything a good QB can do.

The Raiders are very undiciplined. The Vikings are VERY diciplined.

As far as the offensive line goes I wouldn't worry about them. Overall it was a preseason game, nothing to write home to mom about. Hopefully Greenway is ok, he made a hell of a save on special teams.

If I had one concern about the entire game it is that our special teams coverage was horrible. It should improve but it has a long way to go.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast