Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Overall Assessment Of The First Game

Overall I thought it was a very good game for a preseason game. Neither side was playing their best, but the Vikes looked like they were having fun playing together.

There were good plays...a couple of interceptions, a good review on a challenge, good defense.

It's coming together. I like it! ;D
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

What the hell was Childress thinking at the end of the game?! Going for the touchdown from the 20 with 7 seconds left?!?!?! This guy is our new coach? Way to go Zygi! Terrible hire... :

;D Just kidding!!

Anyway...here's my assessment:

Positive:
    The first team offense looked good. They moved the ball methodically and efficiently and we ran the ball pretty well too. I hope what we saw tonight is what we see all season.

Tarvaris looked really good.

The defense played really well. The D-line got some good pressure a few times, and the two field goals that the starting offense scored against them were both because of great field position from a fumble and a kick return. Both of them were three and outs.

Negative:
    Special teams. Kasper had a great return, but Williamson's fumble to start and the big kick return we gave up were both ugly. Add Greenway's injury to that list and you have a bad night. (It was good to see Longwell knock a 40 yarder though)

JT O'Sullivan. I seriously think his hair was short at the beginning of the one play, but by the time he got done holding the ball it was shoulder length.
    :

morphius is offline Rookie

The first thing one would have to remember is that this is their second game with their new O and D, and this was your first, so I wouldn't take much of it with more importance then a grain of salt.

I noticed on one short yardage play the left side of your OL just completely blew the Raiders off the LoS for an easy first down.
    [homer]TRich also looked good out there as well[/homer].
    I also really enjoyed the fact that your DL pretty much out matched their starters, and then when your backups came in early their starters still were unable to move on you. The second round draft pick QB looked very comfortable back there.

ST obviously needs some work, sadly my Chiefs need a lot of work here as well.

Really I thought your team looked solid.
    Of course the Raiders may be one of the worst teams in the league this year, but overall I really liked the way your team looked and thought your teams depth looked pretty decent.

Sorry about your first rounder, injuries in preseason suck!
    it s not a sport until someone gets hit.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"Purple_Hope" wrote:
    I expected more from the run as well. O'Sullivan made me laugh out loud a few times. #57 (McKenzie?) and a lot of the other young defensive 2nd and 3rd stringers looked good. Tavaris looked awesome. I was impressed.

Kyle McKenzie
    Ht: 6-1 Wt: 235
    Position: LB
    Date of Birth: 2/5/1983
    Experience: R
    High School: St. Martin De Porres HS
    (Detroit, MI)
    College: Minnesota

Biography:
    How Acquired: Signed as an undrafted free agent following the 2006 NFL draft.

Contract Status: Vikings Contract Chart

Analysis: A three-year starter who also saw action with the first team as a freshman. Recorded 56/4/1 as a senior after leading the team with 79 tackles during his junior campaign. A solid camp prospect who fits the team’s scheme as a Cover-2 linebacker and is at his best if he is covered up and able to play off the ball and flow toward the action. Will struggle at the point of attack. Might have some practice squad potential. Vitals: 6003/228, 17 reps, 4.53-4.79 (40-yd), 35.5 VJ, 9-6 BJ, 4.70 short-shuttle, 6.77 three-cone.

Personal: His uncle is former Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks guard Reggie McKenzie and his brother is former NFL defensive end Keith McKenzie.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=8&c=1&nid=2542738

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Crips, for all they talked about Moss I think Corn-holer is as in love with him as Madden is with Favre. The bad things is, we gotta go through this again the opening regular season game!
    He's in love with Moss, and he can't get of the boat.
    >

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Well JT does suck, but McMahon was nothing special

Tarvaris was impressive, first time I've seen him play and I want to see more.

Brad look calm and cool back at the helm and he can get it down the field

D'line was outstanding, love the pressure they caused, can't wait to see Pat back in the middle

Where were the first half penalties, this and TJ made my night, nice to see the holding and false starts not kill a drive

Special teams and the running game need some work but overall and excellant 1st preseason game with new staff and players.

I want more now the wait is over

Purple_Hope is offline Rookie

Why's everyone bashing Cornheiser? You'd rather listen to Madden ramble about ... nothing?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

First thing that came to my mind when they said Williamson was back to return the kick was "WTF is he doin back there". That should most definitly be Mewelde Moores job. Williamson is not a kick returner he's our #2 WR.

First team defense dominated, D-Line was nasty, when u have three first round draft pics on the line this is what u want to see. LB play was solid, leber looked good along with Harris who for once didn't look lost. Hopefully MLB is his nitch. Greg Blue did some nice things, needs to work on his open field tackling but he definitly puts his head in there, good off the edge. C. Grifith is a football player, a future starting corner. Ray Edwards looked explosive, kinda gives us an idea why we let johnstone go. If Dontarius Thomas got cut and Farwell made the team you wouldn't see me complaining.

The running game is gonna take some time, its not a snap your finger type deal. Before the years end, baring any injuries i think we'll see the offensive line consistently blocking for our RB's. The pass protection is day and night compared to the run blocking. Koren looks good, so does williamson, Tavaris and Brad looked sharp.

Specail teams coverage was no good, we did well in this department last year. Needs lots of work. Kluwe looked good, nice to see him come back strong from a serious injury like that.

All in all lots of good things and lots of things to work on. They'll learn alot from this game.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Purple_Hope" wrote:
    Why's everyone bashing Cornheiser? You'd rather listen to Madden ramble about ... nothing?
    I didn't think Kornheiser was that bad either. He speaks his mind instead of being a talking head and he's also entertaining. I like that in an announcer. The other guys on the ESPN crew though... yikes.. BORING.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

"Purple_Hope" wrote:
    Yep.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast