Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Overall Assessment Of The First Game

Summed up in a few words, not great -- not bad!
    Things I liked:
    + I loved the lack of penalties by the Vikes. They showed good disclipine. That was a problem last year.
    + I thought the first team defense was great. I particularly liked the rush from the outside. Lineback play looked pretty soild.
    + TJ was a pleasant surprise. I was especially surprised by his running ability. This kid is gonna be good. Well heck, he's good now.

Things I didn't like:
    + I was disappointed in the offensive line blocking. I expected so much more from the running game.
    + The punt and kick return blocking stunk.
    + Cross O'Sullivan off the list.

All in all, I was impressed with several things and I think with some more work the Vikes will prove to be a formatible team. I'm not so worried now if BJ goes down although it would still be a big problem. To me they look like what I expected and I still think they will be about a 9-7 or 10-6 team this year.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Overall Assesment Of The First Game

1 O'Sullivan sucks
    2 Jackson should be #2 QB
    3 A win would have been nice, but I was impressed how Childress didn't want to wear people out by going into ot.
    4. Cornheiser sucks.
    5. Who hasn't heard about the boat yet? [img width=91 height=67]http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/2.gif[/img]

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Re: Overall Assessment Of The First Game

I agree with everything you said.

Jackson impressed me.
    I had a feeling he could be good but he looked like a 2nd year player out there.

Ray Edwards sack was very nice, Offord came up with the TD saving tackle, and whoever #57 was probally gave himself a big chance at making the team.

vikes4lyfe is offline Starter

Jackson was great there. He should be the #2 QB.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"Freakout" wrote:
    I agree with everything you said.

Jackson impressed me.
    I had a feeling he could be good but he looked like a 2nd year player out there.

Ray Edwards sack was very nice, Offord came up with the TD saving tackle, and whoever #57 was probally gave himself a big chance at making the team.

McKenzie ... University of Minnesota product.
    Showed alot more energy tonight than he ever did playing for the Gophers though ....

;D

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

1 O'Sullivan sucks - Agree 100%. Buh-bye.
    2 Jackson should be #2 QB - Agree 100%.
    3 Much-improved discipline.
    4. Cornheiser sucks - Agree 100%.. As a matter of fact, the whole broadcast team sucks. Boring as HELL!
    5. Got REALLY sick of hearing about all the off-field issues with the Purple last year. Over. And Over. And Over. And Over.
    6. Nice to see Childress challenge that Mewelde Moore non-fumble.
    7. First-team defense looks REALLY good.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Purple_Hope is offline Rookie

I expected more from the run as well. O'Sullivan made me laugh out loud a few times. #57 (McKenzie?) and a lot of the other young defensive 2nd and 3rd stringers looked good. Tavaris looked awesome. I was impressed.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Here's my list:

Positives:
    - Tarvaris Jackson- The kid plainly tore it up tonight. It may be against 2nd and 3rd stringers but I was quite impressed. My friend who knows nothing about the NFL remarked that we will probably see him in a year or two as a starter.

-Defensive Line- Great penetration. Aaron Brooks didn't know what had hit him.
    -Secondary- Good game for the secondary as well. When our starters were in, Brooks had no where to get the ball apart from the one Moss catch. Dwight Smith looked great.
    -Ben Leber- I've doubted this guy a lot but from what I saw I was really impressed. Props to Ben.

Negatives:
    - Special Teams- Kluwe and Longwell were OK but our coverage and return game (other than Kasper) was horrible. Not a bright spot..
    -Mewelde Moore- What happened to him? He was lower on the depth chart it looked like that Ciatrick and couldn't run against 3rd stringers. Nice...
    -JT O'Sullivan- Better than Shaun Hill but sorry man, you're gonna get cut. Good effort though especially avoiding the sacks and such.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Crips, for all they talked about Moss I think Corn-holer is as in love with him as Madden is with Favre. The bad things is, we gotta go through this again the opening regular season game!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I was most disappointed in the 1st string O-line play, I expected some better run blocking.

I thought both Chester Taylor and Fason were flat and unimpressive and I thought the best back of the evening was MeMo and I hope that Chester starts exploding off the ball a bit.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast