Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PackerPride is offline Training Camp

An outsiders point of view

Me, being a Packer fan, I feel that these are the biggest problems I see with the Vikes thus far (and I'm not saying I know more than any educated Vikes fan would). The biggest and most obvious problem is your coach, atleast to this point. I read an article yesterday about Tice and his 80 minute team meeting. 3 players (who didn't want their names disclosed) said they felt that their coach gave up on the team. Several other players also thought the meeting sounded like he (Mike Tice) was going to resign. Those are 2 things a coach should never portray.

The second problem I see is Culpepper getting used to the offense without the best wide receiver in the game (I hated Moss as much as you guys hate Favre, but I still respected the hell out of him). Most great QBs had a great WR to work with (Montana & Rice, Manning & Harrison, ect). Whether DC can turn a WR into Pro Bowl type player is still anybody's guess.

The third real problem is team chemistry (or lack of gelling). I feel like you guys definately have the talent on defense, but for some reason they aren't clicking well together as of yet. Maybe the lack of scoring, or being put in too many bad situations by the offense makes them look worse than they have been.

Which brings me to the last thing I've noticed, the offensive line. They don't seem to be opening up many holes for the running game (no matter which back is in) and are doing even worse pass blocking (I think I counted 9 sacks on DC the last game). This could very well be the 2nd biggest problem, right behind Tice still being coach after his little meeting.

Well, that's the problems I've noticed being an outsider. If you could find a good head coach and a way to make the O-line play better, you guys would have a very solid team. I hope I didn't insult anyone, as that wasn't my intention. My Packers have just as many problems as the Vikings do. :razz:

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Re: An outsiders point of view

Well thanks for the input but it's nothing we haven't already heard.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Your probably right. :razz:

I would be more than willing to hear your takes on what the Pack needs to do to improve on their team. :smile:

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"PackerPride" wrote:
    Me, being a Packer fan, I feel that these are the biggest problems I see with the Vikes thus far (and I'm not saying I know more than any educated Vikes fan would). The biggest and most obvious problem is your coach, atleast to this point. I read an article yesterday about Tice and his 80 minute team meeting. 3 players (who didn't want their names disclosed) said they felt that their coach gave up on the team. Several other players also thought the meeting sounded like he (Mike Tice) was going to resign. Those are 2 things a coach should never portray.
    I think the Tice issue is overblown myself. I think it's more of a case of our FORMER owner not being willing to hire quality coaching at ANY level...which is why we have the OC and DC we do...neither of whom is an ideal candidate.

I also read where a number of Viking players were shocked that ANYONE thought Tice was giving up. In fact, one (I can't recall whom...maybe Birk?) stated something to the effect that the ones who had that opinion were likely a source of some of our true problems.

"PackerPride" wrote:
    The second problem I see is Culpepper getting used to the offense without the best wide receiver in the game (I hated Moss as much as you guys hate Favre, but I still respected the hell out of him). Most great QBs had a great WR to work with (Montana & Rice, Manning & Harrison, ect). Whether DC can turn a WR into Pro Bowl type player is still anybody's guess.
    Culpepper has been playing with a "Deer in headlights" look this season. If he's ever going to climb out of the shadow of randy Moss, he has to start producing...he has failed to do so thus far. He's made bad decisions repeatedly...and the numbers bear that out. Our receiver corps is pretty darn good...Daunte just isn't seeing the field.

"PackerPride" wrote:
    The third real problem is team chemistry (or lack of gelling). I feel like you guys definately have the talent on defense, but for some reason they aren't clicking well together as of yet. Maybe the lack of scoring, or being put in too many bad situations by the offense makes them look worse than they have been.
    Bad situations...well, maybe. I think our defensive woes lie more on the shoulders of Ted Cottrell. It's OBVIOUS that his guys don't know where they're supposed to be, and that indicates bad coaching. Bring in a quality DC and watch that unit tear it up.

"PackerPride" wrote:
    Which brings me to the last thing I've noticed, the offensive line. They don't seem to be opening up many holes for the running game (no matter which back is in) and are doing even worse pass blocking (I think I counted 9 sacks on DC the last game). This could very well be the 2nd biggest problem, right behind Tice still being coach after his little meeting.
    The O-line isn't as big of a problem as many are saying. Culpepper isn't seeing the field and taking too long in the pocket, and we aren't working our short game as hard as we should. But, it all comes back to Culpepper. He HAS to step up and make plays. he got a raise this year...it's time to earn it.

"PackerPride" wrote:
    Well, that's the problems I've noticed being an outsider. If you could find a good head coach and a way to make the O-line play better, you guys would have a very solid team. I hope I didn't insult anyone, as that wasn't my intention. My Packers have just as many problems as the Vikings do. :razz:
    No offense taken to your post. When you call it straight, it doesn't matter what color jersey you sport on Sunday.

Caine

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"PackerPride" wrote:

I would be more than willing to hear your takes on what the Pack needs to do to improve on their team. :smile:
    Fire Sherman.
    Retire Favre.
    Hit Free Agency.
    Draft well.

None of which will happen until after this season (except mayber Sherman).

Your entire team needs a revamp. You have a handful of players to build on - mostly on Offense. But, Thompson isn't a big "FA" guy, so he'll probably try and rebuild throught the draft...and that means TIME. It's going to be awhile before the Packers are a power in the NFL again.

Caine

Nice replay Caine. :smile:

natethegreat is offline Pro-Bowler

"Caine" wrote:
    "PackerPride" wrote:

Fire Sherman.
    Retire Favre.
    Hit Free Agency.
    Draft well.

None of which will happen until after this season (except mayber Sherman).

Your entire team needs a revamp. You have a handful of players to build on - mostly on Offense. But, Thompson isn't a big "FA" guy, so he'll probably try and rebuild throught the draft...and that means TIME. It's going to be awhile before the Packers are a power in the NFL again.

Caine
    i agree with all of those things the pack needs to do, i sure hope they dont get "the president" reggie bush because i would hate to have to play against him twice a year

I truly still feel that Favre has a few good years left in him. I agree with the rest of the reasons tho. The biggest problem is going to be getting talent around favre. Green hasn't done much this year yet either. Maybe time for a change at RB?

Are you sure Bush isn't a product of Leinart tho? I've heard all the hype, but having the best player in the country as your QB can't hurt either.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

we kow the problems. we dont need an 0-4 fan to come and tell us.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast