Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 158

Thread: Out-coached ??

  1. #11
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: Out-coached ??

    I guess this is also just my way of also saying, the Wash loss is not all on Tarvaris.

    I think when you have a back like AP and you only begin to start throwing screens to him in the 3rd quarter of a playoff game (and it works), while trying for an entire half to "pound the pill" off-tackle, something is wrong. That game plan was f----ed !!

    Exhibit B:
    - The 49er game, when the D stacked the box, and we didn't respond.

    Exhibit C:
    - The home game vs. Green Bay. EVERYONE and his grandma in MN knows that you don't blitz Favre. So what did we do
    ? We blitz him and let him throw the slant for a TD (the way to play Favre is to zone blitz him and then drop back into the zone).

    I have to put a lot of this on Bevell, by the way.

    There is a reason that the Colts are so successful, and his name is Tom Moore (off. coordinator).

    I think loyalty is cool, and I think it is nice that Childress brought in his buddy, Bevell from Wisconsin. At the same time, I have some real issues with Bevell and his play-calling.

  2. #12
    DustinDupont's Avatar
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,607

    Re: Out-coached ??

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I guess this is also just my way of also saying, the Wash loss is not all on Tarvaris.

    I think when you have a back like AP and you only begin to start throwing screens to him in the 3rd quarter of a playoff game (and it works), while trying for an entire half to "pound the pill" off-tackle, something is wrong. That game plan was f----ed !!

    Exhibit B:
    - The 49er game, when the D stacked the box, and we didn't respond.


    Exhibit C:
    - The home game vs. Green Bay. EVERYONE and his grandma in MN knows that you don't blitz Favre. So what did we do
    ? We blitz him and let him throw the slant for a TD (the way to play Favre is to zone blitz him and then drop back into the zone).

    I have to put a lot of this on Bevell, by the way.

    There is a reason that the Colts are so successful, and his name is Tom Moore (off. coordinator).

    I think loyalty is cool, and I think it is nice that Childress brought in his buddy, Bevell from Wisconsin. At the same time, I have some real issues with Bevell and his play-calling.
    Ok the 49ers never even had a chance in that game soi dont know what you talking about.... and the
    colts are successful because they got payton manning, wayne and harrison not tom moore

  3. #13
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Out-coached ??

    I still have not decided whether I really like Childress yet regarding his coaching.
    They have lost so many games by such a low score and by boneheaded mistakes that I have to put some of that weight on Childress, the team, and the newness of this team.
    I feel like this is the first year where most of the pieces are in place.

    Now, the one thing that I am confident of, is that Childress will be able to match up in a coaching chess match much better than Tice ever could.
    You can at least see a semblance of wisdom in Childress where there was nothing but a 'mmmmmmmmm doooonuts mmmmmm' look on Tice's face.


    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  4. #14
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407

    Re: Out-coached ??

    "Prophet" wrote:
    I still have not decided whether I really like Childress yet regarding his coaching.
    They have lost so many games by such a low score and by boneheaded mistakes that I have to put some of that weight on Childress, the team, and the newness of this team.
    I feel like this is the first year where most of the pieces are in place.

    Now, the one thing that I am confident of, is that Childress will be able to match up in a coaching chess match much better than Tice ever could.
    You can at least see a semblance of wisdom in Childress where there was nothing but a 'mmmmmmmmm doooonuts mmmmmm' look on Tice's face.


    Donuts....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    I remember a few years ago, Cowher was talking about a loss by 3 points and he said (and I'm paraphrasing, can't remember exactly what he said), "as a coach in the NFL, you have to at least believe that a 3 points can be attributed to your coaching"

    I tend to agree with you, Prophet.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  5. #15
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: Out-coached ??

    I disagree that the Colts are good because of Manning, Wayne, etc.

    I see it the opposite way: those guys are so good, because the system they are in is so good. I mean, I personally think that Tony Dungee and Tom Moore could take the Bills or let's say the Cardinals to the Show. Yes, they are that good.

    And the Colts have the perfect system:

    a. the head coach is the "father" and motivates and keeps everything running
    b. the off. coordinator runs the "machine" when it is on the field (watch the Colts offensive playcalling sometime. It is like God is calling the plays !).
    :

    BTW, Moore was born in Owatonna, MN. (no wonder he is so smart !!).

    c. the def. coordinator gets after the defense to hit hard, etc.

    You have to have this kind of system, I think. You can't have a head coach who doesn't motivate, and you have to have a good off. coordinator who doesn't call stupid plays.

    Tom Moore is the MAN.

  6. #16
    Mr-holland's Avatar
    Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,443

    Re: Out-coached ??

    Come on.... So if TJ was there in Indy he would do as good as Manning? that's laughable.
    The players are exceptionally good and they run a good organization.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

  7. #17
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Out-coached ??

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I disagree that the Colts are good because of Manning, Wayne, etc.

    I see it the opposite way: those guys are so good, because the system they are in is so good. I mean, I personally think that Tony Dungee and Tom Moore could take the Bills or let's say the Cardinals to the Show. Yes, they are that good.

    And the Colts have the perfect system:

    a. the head coach is the "father" and motivates and keeps everything running
    b. the off. coordinator runs the "machine" when it is on the field (watch the Colts offensive playcalling sometime. It is like God is calling the plays !).
    :

    c. the def. coordinator gets after the defense to hit hard, etc.

    You have to have this kind of system, I think. You can't have a head coach who doesn't motivate, and you have to have a good off. coordinator who doesn't call stupid plays.

    Tom Moore is the MAN.
    Moore gives manning 3 plays at a time, and manning calls the play based on what he sees, hence the reason he audibles so much.. manning is the genius in that operation

    Thanks josdin00

  8. #18
    sh01002 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    75

    Re: Out-coached ??

    I think good players need usually need to be coached less and therefore are not as dependent on on the coach.
    yes coachs run plays/offense/defense but at the end of the day the ball is in the player's hands
    Play in my Vikings fantasy football league!
    http://www.rotohog.com/group/nfl/joinleagues/viewleague?leagueid=9025

  9. #19
    DustinDupont's Avatar
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,607

    Re: Out-coached ??

    i think its a lot easier to run a system when your qb can read the defense know what there running and audible and have the options of throwing it to wayne or harrison...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    78

    Re: Out-coached ??

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I disagree that the Colts are good because of Manning, Wayne, etc.

    I see it the opposite way: those guys are so good, because the system they are in is so good. I mean, I personally think that Tony Dungee and Tom Moore could take the Bills or let's say the Cardinals to the Show. Yes, they are that good.

    And the Colts have the perfect system:

    a. the head coach is the "father" and motivates and keeps everything running
    b. the off. coordinator runs the "machine" when it is on the field (watch the Colts offensive playcalling sometime. It is like God is calling the plays !).
    :

    BTW, Moore was born in Owatonna, MN. (no wonder he is so smart !!).

    c. the def. coordinator gets after the defense to hit hard, etc.

    You have to have this kind of system, I think. You can't have a head coach who doesn't motivate, and you have to have a good off. coordinator who doesn't call stupid plays.

    Tom Moore is the MAN.
    How is it Moore though.
    The Colts usually run a no-huddle about 60-70% of the game.
    Peyton gets 7-8 plays with 2-3 audibles each and picks the one he thinks is best against the D.
    Peyton is the smartest player in the NFL.
    Now Dungy I agree with.
    Great coach and turned that team into perennial contenders.
    But that offense is the so good because Peyton is a great QB and understands defenses as well as any O-Coordinator in the league.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I out-coached a local legend.
    By 6-KINGS in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 10:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •