Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Out-coached ??

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Out-coached ??

Ok, I realize that someone will now get on and post with something like this: "StillPurple is a pessimist", etc. (interpreted, that means: I have been a Vikings fan since 1972 and have reason to be pessimistic...).
    :

Ok, here goes: in the Washington game last year, we were just outcoached by Gibbs. This is one aspect of the NFL game that is underrated, in my view. Teams often lose in the playoffs because the other coach is just smarter. Period. And it happened to us. Childress was caught on national TV, yelling "we are allowed to substitute !", with the voiceover of John Madden, explaining how that is incorrect, and Joe Gibbs just looking on. I realize, everyone makes mistakes, but that game really sticks out for me. I just hope Chilly has been reading up on coaching a bit since then. I don't want to lose games because their coach is just better.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Out-coached ??

StillPurple is a pessimist.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

I actually don't know why we are bringing this up again.
    I think this was pretty much beaten to death last December, wasn't it.? From what I understand, Childress thought that Washington made a substitution on offense, and sent in the appropriate sub on defense.
    Replays showed that Washington didn't make a sub, so the officials made the right call.

It isn't like Childress misunderstood the rules, and it is silly to try and assert that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I think Coaching in the NFL is like being a player in the NFL, and it was only Childress' second year as a coach. If anything, I would be hopeful that losing to Gibbs (even though he defeated Gibbs the first time they met) will help Chilly grow as a coach.

That's just wishful thinking though.

Fire Childress.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Json is offline GM

I agree 100%!
    I remember watching a few of the games last year and asking myself WTF sort of call is that, etc?
    Sure we all do it regardless of who the coach is at times but last year and the year before I found myself saying much more then usual.
    Underrated it a great word because in all reality the right calls can change a game instantly as long as they are executed correctly.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

IMO the Washington game was one of worst performances from a coaching and player standpoint I have seen in the Childress era. In this game we asked a rookie QB with Bobby Wade and Robert Furgeson split wide. Our offensive line didn't run block and Tarvaris was rattled in the pocket and forced to throw over 40 passes. The Defense was able to get ZERO pressure on the QB and the secondary had a ruff day, in the end we still managed to come closer than further from winning that contest. I felt it was Childress's biggest game and we came out flat, did not like it.

Myslef as fan have completly moved on from the Washington game and it has zero bearing on what happens this season. This season our team is way better, we have a top talent at Pass Rusher we have the best RB in the league and two very very tuff trenches with explosive tools on both sides of the ball. We have a very good kicking game and our specail teams should make an adequat jump with the amount of talent and competition. I think that if you take our team "Now" which is really all that matters and play the Redskins for the playoffs we pound them.

Often I have felt Childress has found himself out coached at times, specifically against the Pats in his rookie season. I have felt that Offesivly we have handcuffed ourselves but I forsee the evolution of the unit. I think that with experience comes flexibilty, a certain comfort level, confidence and swagger.

I believe that with Childress's philosophy and core values he's built a team (with the help of the owner) around him that will make him look very good for many years to come. I really like both styles of defense we play, the more agrresive blitzing defense but we're able to play a cover two and some man. On offense its all a matter of time before it suceeds, I think that last year we got a small glimpse of the way things are supposed to be. See the five game win streak.

All in all I don't think being outcoached will be a problem, I worry more about consistecy in catching the football, avoiding penalties and turnovers. Recently I rember the Giants players claiming that Coughlin was outcoached and many of players didn't like the change and discipline he broght to table but in the end it payed off huge but it usually doesn't happen overnight.

On a side note I believe Childress is one of better coaches in the league, he truely understands what it takes to build a Championship team and Owner Ziggy Wilf supports him.

Childress makes plenty of mistakes, no doubt about that.
    He has called terrible challenges.
    He has consistently made (statistically) poor play calls on 3rd/4th and short.

On the substitution play you're talking about, I think that Childress believed the Redskins had substituted.
    If the offense substitutes then they have to allow the defense to substitute too.
    I don't think the Redskins actually substituted anyone on that play though.
    It was a mistake.

But everybody makes mistakes.
    A few weeks before that game, Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs made a pretty bad blunder himself: Redskins/Bills Recap.
    He called two timeouts in a row to ice the kicker, giving the Bills a 36 yard instead of 51 yard field goal attempt to win.
    Nobody is perfect.

Of course, I hope and expect that Childress gets better at some of the in game stuff this year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

If he doesn't take our team to the playoffs with this much talent... he needs to go. Bring in Cower or shottenheimer (Sp)

Blog Entries

If we get tired of talking about the Washington game last year, we could always bring up the Moss trade again.
    Anyone?

I have moved on from that game.
    There are a lot of thing I would like to see improvement in this year.
    Coaching is one of them, but it is fairly low on the list.
    Pass protection by a certain RB, a defensive pass rush, poise under pressure, etc.
    I think that they rank much higher, and will have a much bigger impact on our playoff run this year.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Overlord" wrote:
    Childress makes plenty of mistakes, no doubt about that.
    He has called terrible challenges.
    He has consistently made (statistically) poor play calls on 3rd/4th and short.

On the substitution play you're talking about, I think that Childress believed the Redskins had substituted.
    If the offense substitutes then they have to allow the defense to substitute too.
    I don't think the Redskins actually substituted anyone on that play though.
    It was a mistake.

But everybody makes mistakes.
    A few weeks before that game, Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs made a pretty bad blunder himself: Redskins/Bills Recap.
    He called two timeouts in a row to ice the kicker, giving the Bills a 36 yard instead of 51 yard field goal attempt to win.
    Nobody is perfect.

Of course, I hope and expect that Childress gets better at some of the in game stuff this year.
    I think this is the most important thing and I think the players and fans have seen a evolution in Childress's carear and it will be ongoing. Like somebody else said he's hardly a 3rd year Head Coach, I think he's always looking to improve the team and with this comes improving yourself, what you do and how you run things.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast