singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Our View — Limited fan access good for players

Published August 04, 2006 01:18 am

With a new regime set to lead the Minnesota Vikings in 2006, many fans were wondering how they would be welcomed and accommodated during training camp at Minnesota State University.

[size=18px]Our View — Limited fan access good for players[/size]

The Free Press

With a new regime set to lead the Minnesota Vikings in 2006, many fans were wondering how they would be welcomed and accommodated during training camp at Minnesota State University. The training camp experience is actively anticipated by Viking fanatics throughout the Midwest — a window of opportunity reserved for gawking and autograph-seeking. Whether fans would be welcomed, merely tolerated, or outright overlooked, was an issue on everyone’s mind leading up to the annual July-August experience.

How are fans being treated this year? Overall, things have gone well. The Vikings, who this summer have taken control of fan activities from a local group, have put the emphasis on organization and security. As a result, players are better protected from distractions. And fans, though they cannot get quite as close to players as they’ve been in the past, are allowed reasonable access.

In the past, fans could get close enough to touch the Vikings by lining the path leading from the locker room to the practice field, and many fans used that access to encourage their favorite players to sign autographs. Today, the players have more breathing room, and they do not feel nearly as distracted as they walk to and from the field. As a result of the Vikings’ emphasis on security and crowd control, fans are less likely to score as many autographs as they might want, but each day they are likely to get at least a few.

Every day at camp, the Vikings assure fan access to a group of players just off the practice field. One day, it’s the defensive backs. Another day, it’s the offensive line. The rules obviously make sense to first-year head coach Brad Childress, a no-nonsense leader who stresses efficiency and control, and they represent a common-sense approach to the training camp experience.

It is understandable some fans desire more access to the players they admire, and most players have been understanding of the fans’ behavior in the past. But they also know they’re here primarily to get in shape and train for a grueling season, and this new approach gives them a greater opportunity to focus on the job at hand.

No doubt, there are at least a few fans who grumble that their access is more restricted. But if the new rules cut down potential distractions for players, the team will be better off later when the regular season gets under way. And that, of course, will lead to more cheers for the Men of Purple.

Our View — Limited fan access good for players

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Our View — Limited fan access good for players

I'm not going to camp, and I've only gone once, but I have to say that this wouldn't bother me. I love meeting players and getting autographs, but when it comes right down to it they're there to practice, to get ready for the upcoming season, and to focus. If a few fans are upset about the lack of player time, so be it. Maybe it will lead to one more win in the season... and I'm all about wins.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

if we end up with less wins than last year, will they change the camp back to fan friendly? just a question. how distracted are our players that they cannot concentrate on practice after they sign some autographs? is there topless women at the practices? anyway, it doesn't matter to me anyway, and i like childress' attitude, but even the giants, who are very disciplined with a very disciplined coach, let their fans interact.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but the fans can still interact with the players. Just not to the extreme that they could before. I lived in Macomb, IL for five years while the St Louis Rams had their training camp there, and this is very similar to the way it was run there.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=