Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Re: Our Secondary is second to none

Yea Jackson was MVP. The AZ Cards signed him he did nothing then went back to Bucs.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "SharperVikings" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    "SharperVikings" wrote:
    Not to get off subject here, but has anyone heard anything about the Depth chart at MLB? Who went into camp as the starting MLB?
    Harris I think

Yeah, with DT as the backup. But that is with EJ at WILL, which should be taken by greenway pretty quickly. Then I am guessing DT will move back to WILL as his backup and EJ and Nap will fight for the starting MLB spot.

Nap is definitely a better MLB then he is on the outside. I was saying this over and over again to anyone that would listen, after the moss trade. He is far from great at MLB, especially in a cover 2, but I like his leadership skills at the MLB spot. He was a vocal guy at MLB for the Raiders and did very well at being a leader of their D as a young MLB. That is really what worries me the most about EJ moving back to MLB. He just never showed that leadership ability or ability to be the QB of the defense. I think EJ is better suited for the outside, where he seemed to get very comfortable at in the last 5 or so games of the year last season. This is the only reason why I questioned the greenway pick. I was hoping for a different pick in the 1st and to get D'Qell Jackson in the 2nd to play MLB in our cover 2.
    Didn't he play MLB in Oakland for a year or two, then the d-coordinator there moved him to OLB? That's what I heard. I also heard he played pretty good at MLB, but sucked, as we saw, at OLB!

Yep, he had his best years at Oakland, in the middle, before being moved to the outside, where he sucked. If Tice and company would have payed any attention to his career in oakland, they should have know to keep him in the middle, especially when we didn't even have Cowart at that time. We just traded for him and annointed him the starting SAM LB right away.

Thank god we know have some coaches who can put these guys in their best positions, like Harris at MLB and Marcus Johnson at RT and not RG.
    In his two seasons at MLB in Oakland, he played in a combined 31 games, and had a combined 189 tackles. He's better then anyone we have now! Maybe our defensive scheme now will bring out the best in him?

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

heh.. our entire starting secondary have the talent and means to be all be elected into the pro bowl if they play to their expected calibur.....

if they do mesh well together, i could see all of them making it (well, except winfield - unless fans get their heads out of their asses and for once give him the respect he deserves)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

We have all this talent in the secondary but I'm not looking forward to the cuts. We can not keep them all and there is some very young talent I don't wanna see leave.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"SharperVikings" wrote:
    In his two seasons at MLB in Oakland, he played in a combined 31 games, and had a combined 189 tackles. He's better then anyone we have now! Maybe our defensive scheme now will bring out the best in him?

Yeah, he is definitely better then people give him credit for. People saw him struggle at OLB for us and for Oakland, but when he played MLB in a 4-3 D, he was a better then average LB. He showed great leadership skills at the MLB spot, something EJ has just yet to show. EJ is better at some aspects then Nap, but Nap is more of a QB/leader of a D at MLB, which I think is very important. Of course I am going by EJ's earlier attempts at the MLB spot, so who knows if he has grown and can be that leader at MLB.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

"revprodeji" wrote:
    tank williams should be a starting line-backer. lets just invert the cover-2 package with a nickel base and start tank as the coverage backer.
    Tank's weakness is his lack of cover skills, why would you want to make him a coverage linebacker? And I doubt a nickle-based D would do well at all, especially since most people in the North are starting to lean on the run
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    "revprodeji" wrote:
    tank williams should be a starting line-backer. lets just invert the cover-2 package with a nickel base and start tank as the coverage backer.
    Tank's weakness is his lack of cover skills, why would you want to make him a coverage linebacker? And I doubt a nickle-based D would do well at all, especially since most people in the North are starting to lean on the run

Also Tank could never stay healthy playing LB at 220 lbs and if he bulked up and added 20 lbs or so, who knows what it would do to his mobility and coverage skills.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I dunno.

I am not complaining by any means. Its just that this is only on paper so far. Last year on paper we won the Super Bowl. I am just going to be really cautious this year.

Remember when the Redskins spent all that $$$ on all these big time players? Granted they were older. But, on paper the were da bomb. On paper does not do us a whole lotta anything. Stats, paper, etc...all craptastic. I'll judge on Sundays.

Out.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "SharperVikings" wrote:

Yeah, he is definitely better then people give him credit for. People saw him struggle at OLB for us and for Oakland, but when he played MLB in a 4-3 D, he was a better then average LB. He showed great leadership skills at the MLB spot, something EJ has just yet to show. EJ is better at some aspects then Nap, but Nap is more of a QB/leader of a D at MLB, which I think is very important. Of course I am going by EJ's earlier attempts at the MLB spot, so who knows if he has grown and can be that leader at MLB.
    THANK YOU, I've been defending Napo for most of this offseason saying much of the same things. While he's not a complete monster at the middle, he did lead one of the better defenses in the NFL to a superbowl appearance not too long ago.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234