Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    napo58 is offline Pro-Bowler

our running game

Whats wrong, i didnt see the game? Is it the offensive line or the fact that our rbs arent producing. Why is moore always injured and is Benett really that bad? Is fason coming along?

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: our running game

We just dont have "that" guy. MeMo is plagued with minor injuries, and bennett just dances to much. We should see the vikings look deep and hard for a franchise RB in the offseason.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Del Rio Guest

I have always felt that the running game plan has been more for an explosive change up, not a sustainable form of gaining yardage. The Vikings run game essentially was counter, draw, dive. We rarely use a traditional FB, something that running teams do.

Basically the team has been structured around the pass.

That being said for our run plays to work we need the pass to work. They are basic runs, and they need that cusion provided when we were able to open the field up.

I think with our passing game struggling like it was it makes it hard to get that seperation. Tice has implemented some I formation and some more FB support. I think more then anything if you want to see that constant 100+ yards rushing you need to stop looking at RB's Lineman and start looking at changing the scheme into a run oriented plan.

I don't know if they are willing to do that just yet, until then if we get a runner to break 60+ it is a good day.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

It's a catch 22...they won't draft or get a STUD RB (read: guaranteed star) until they commit to a run-oriented offense. I have been yelling that we need a STUD RB since the early 1980s (post-Chuck Foreman)...and our ONE STAB at it produced the fiasco blockbuster deal which I won't even deign to name here...time for us to step up and make the right choice here...and find the right guy to carry the ball 25+ times a game for 120+ yards...to go along with our rapidly improving D!!! Then and then alone will we win a Super Bowl!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

i mean we got the fastest guy in the nfl at benett, but we never seem to use him in a way in which he can utilize his strengths and moore is always injured. If we have a big day against st louis offensively, i think it should open up our offense down the road. We already have two deep threats in krob, williamson and travis taylor can still run pretty well.

cyviking is offline Starter Spectromancer: Gamer's Pack Champion

We did have one semi stud RB that Bennett was supposed to replace. Robert Smith oh how we miss you.
    "Lurker" turned Poster
    2005-06 The Lost Vikings

robert smith was a F*****G idiot for leaving, shows how much of a man he was. He walked away from the game because he didnt have the heart to play anymore. He wasnt that great of a runningback, we had the best o line, wr's and great qbs too. He had korey stringer, randall mcdaniel, jeff christie, david dixon and todd steussie to block for him. Not to mention matt birk later on. HE had Jake Reed, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Andrew Jordan and Matt Hatchette to keep guys from putting 8 in the box. We had an amazing oc, and the last time i checked, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Brad Johnson and Daunte Culpepper all were good or great qbs. look at what any of our runningbacks have now, defnitely NO OFFENSIVE LINE, good receivers but not quite like the 98 squad and we Definitely dont have any coordinators or a coach to match the minds of Denny Green and Brian Billick. Robert Smith had it all and after the 2000 season when things were going downhill, and people were leaving, he showed his character and the true side of him by leaving. Clearly, he isnt the back that vikings fans take him to be. I could see him getting his ass whooped like or even worse than our rb's are now.

Del Rio Guest

"Clearly, he isnt the back that vikings fans take him to be. I could see him getting his jiggly butt whooped like or even worse than our rb's are now."

I don't think your argument is strong enough to claim that CLEARLY he isn't the back fans take him to be. If it takes no skill to be a good RB and all you need is a great line, and good talent then you shoudn't even be discussing RB's at all. In fact you should be asking who we should draft at OL or what coaches we should pick up.

no, what i meant is that he isnt any better than benett, moore or onterrio smith. Every time ive seen robert smith run, the holes he ran through were 5 times larger than what our rb's get right now. Robert Smith is not a hall of fame back, nowhere close to payton or jim brown, and fans shouldn't mourn his loss.

Del Rio Guest

I've never seen anyone say he is a HOF running back. If they did I would have to agree with you they are crazy. He is a good rb, just like Bennett just like Memo. Nothing special, but worth having on the team IMO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast