Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Our Next Fullback: Owen Schmitt

With Tony Richardsons career coming to an end, we need to look into the future and find someone who is going to block for our dynamic duo of running backs.

And who better than a guy who broke four facemasks last season and can power clean 525 pounds?(for those of you who don't know what that is, he's lifting 525 from the ground to his shoulder level explosively)
    Power Clean:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Clean.html

This guy I talk about it none other than Owen Schmitt of West Virginia University. The 6'3, 250 pound fullback who blocks for Steve Slaton and Pat White. And get this, when he has the ball he has never been stopped for a loss.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigeast/2006-11-01-wvu-schmitt_x.htm

This dude is a straight-up monster. I'd love to see him in purple next season.

douginc is offline Starter

Re: Our Next Fullback: Owen Schmitt

"Mr" wrote:
    With Tony Richardsons career coming to an end, we need to look into the future and find someone who is going to block for our dynamic duo of running backs.

And who better than a guy who broke four facemasks last season and can power clean 525 pounds?(for those of you who don't know what that is, he's lifting 525 from the ground to his shoulder level explosively)
    Power Clean:

This guy I talk about it none other than Owen Schmitt of West Virginia University. The 6'3, 250 pound fullback who blocks for Steve Slaton and Pat White. And get this, when he has the ball he has never been stopped for a loss.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigeast/2006-11-01-wvu-schmitt_x.htm

The Vikings NEED this guy.
    They shouldn't want, or hope, they NEED to go for this guy in the draft next year.

The fullback is one of the most underrated position in the NFL - so many huge runs could have instead been no gains had there been no blocking fullback, or a terrible one (starts with the letter 'D').
    Especially since we have two amazing running backs signed for many years, we could definitely use an equally impressive FB.

Oh, wait, all is well for the Vikes though.
    Dugan is signed for many years.......I'm sure this new guy is nowhere near as strong as Dugan.

davike is offline Team Alumni

Yeah, I think he would look sexy in purple.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I think Dugan does a fine job in that role so far. Also don't forget we also have Tahi.

We haven't seen enough of him on the field to make a judgement call right now, but I certainly wouldn't rule him out of the equation just yet.

Week 3 of the regular season & people are already looking forward to the 2008 draft.
    :-

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr" wrote:

........And get this, when he has the ball he has never been stopped for a loss.

There's a big difference between the college level of play & the pros.

I recall the Vikings signing an OL who never gave up a sack in college.

How many has he given up so far now?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

And who better than a guy who broke four facemasks last season
    I hope he wasn't breaking them with helmet to helmet contact.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"singersp" wrote:
    I think Dugan does a fine job in that role so far. Also don't forget we also have Tahi.

We haven't seen enough of him on the field to make a judgement call right now, but I certainly wouldn't rule him out of the equation just yet.

Week 3 of the regular season & people are already looking forward to the 2008 draft.
    :-\
    My friend who goes to WVU sent me the article, and I was impressed, so I posted it.

525 power clean is ridiculous, the olympic record is 580.

So i don't care who we have already, I'd rather have this guy.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    And who better than a guy who broke four facemasks last season
    I hope he wasn't breaking them with helmet to helmet contact.
    It's not helmet to helmet if you lead with the facemask, that means you have your head up and you're hitting how you're supposed to, remember, he's a fullback so he's blocking not tackling.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Mr" wrote:

Power Clean:

You've sold me. This guy sounds like a beast... let's draft him.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Draft him! I have seen him play many times and he is an absoulute monster! Him and AD for many years. Dugan is not the future FB of this team neither is Tahi. Draft Schmitt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast