Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Our new third-string quarterback is...

Koren Robinson. No, you're not reading this wrong. A WR. I saw it on the news, so it's true, k?

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Our new third-string quarterback is...

I was pulling for Kluwe

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I thought that it might be Coach Tice!!! LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I meant to post that earlier today after I saw the Tice PC. It is temporary, for the weekend. They are going to put in a limited number of plays in practice.

They don't have time to work out QBs until Friday and it will be to late for getting them suited up for the weekend.

They may stick with Robinson for the rest of the year if they don't like their option in the tryout on Friday.

The other option was Sharper as a temp this weekend.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    He did mention that he was the 3rd stringer in SEA when he was the TE there.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I could be worse...Kordell Stewart! :razz:

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    now that would be classic. just think how much the line wouldnt block then
    We're bringing purple back.

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

"gregair13" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    now that would be classic. just think how much the line wouldnt block then
    LOL! They don't anyway...... :sad: :lol:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I could be worse...Kordell Stewart! :razz:
    Or Ryan Leaf! :lol:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings preparing QB contingencies

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 3, 2005 at 5:16 AM

With the decision not to sign a third quarterback for now, receiver Koren Robinson prepared to become the offense's pilot of last resort.

Yes, in the unlikely event that Brad Johnson gets knocked out of Sunday's game against Detroit, the Vikings will turn to untested Shaun Hill at quarterback. And in the extremely unlikely event that something then happens to Hill, the Vikings will go with . . . receiver Koren Robinson, whose last extensive work at the position came seven years ago at South Point (N.C.) High School.

So goes the Vikings' disaster-plan scenario for this weekend, one they locked into place Wednesday to compensate for the loss of starter Daunte Culpepper. The team is scheduled to work out a handful of free-agent quarterbacks Friday, but it is unlikely any would be signed until next week.

The unusual situation will require the Vikings to alter a few practice procedures this week, giving Hill an opportunity to work on his timing and Robinson a chance to work on taking snaps. At the very least, it has given them something interesting to talk about at an otherwise low point in the season.

"It's going to be fun if it happens," Robinson said, laughing. "I just hope it doesn't happen. I really hope it doesn't happen. But if it does, I'll just take it in stride. As an athlete, I always think I can do anything across the board. I'm up for the challenge if it comes up -- but I hope it doesn't."

Robinson saw some action at quarterback during his career at N.C. State, mostly on trick plays, and said he took a shotgun snap once in a preseason game while playing for Seattle. "Got 6 yards on a draw," Robinson said.

Coaches have noticed his lively arm during prepractice drills, and on Wednesday coach Mike Tice chose Robinson over safety Darren Sharper as the emergency option. Coaches will put him through a crash course this week and give him a few snaps during the team's walk-through practices Friday and Saturday.

"You've got to tailor it to some simple things that, in the situation, you would need to have," offensive coordinator Steve Loney said.

As a result, Robinson was taking seven-step drops in the Vikings locker room, scanning for receivers and making imaginary throws as he exchanged barbs with teammates.

"I've got a deep ball," he said. "I used to pitch. So I can throw it a little bit. As far as Culpepper? No. But I can get it up and down."

Meanwhile, Hill was taking his task a bit more seriously. After serving strictly as the scout team quarterback in practice for the past 3½ seasons, Hill began working alongside Johnson to run the Vikings' offense in practice Wednesday.

In many ways, Hill is a younger version of Johnson -- a quarterback who carried little buzz into the NFL, tabbed with questions about his arm strength that forced him to wait years to get into a significant position on game day.

Hill, 25, suffered a right shoulder injury during his junior year at Maryland and did not work out well for draft evaluators.

The Vikings signed him as an undrafted free agent, at least in part because he shares an alma mater with Tice. Hill's arm strength proved suspect during his first training camp, but a strong performance during the 2003 NFL Europe season helped earn Tice's trust.

Hill made the best throw of his pro career in an Aug. 19 preseason game against the New York Jets, hitting receiver Troy Williamson in stride for a 54-yard pass that traveled about 60 yards in the air, and the Vikings are confident he can make all of the throws in their offense.

"I go back to the deep ball I threw to Troy in the preseason," Hill said. "My rookie year, I don't think that ball gets out there. I think [the arm] has gotten progressively a little bit stronger as I've been in the league."

Johnson, in fact, has helped Hill understand how to optimize the arm strength he does have. Johnson, Hill said, has explained "that you don't have to pipe every throw. I've got average arm strength like he does. Sometimes I try to overcompensate for that by throwing as hard as I can. But he taught me you don't have to do that. Just get it out on time and put it on the right spot."

In the event that he gets into the game, that is.

THE BOOK ON SHAUN HILL

• From Parsons, Kan.; 25 years old; 6-3, 235

• Helped Maryland to the ACC title in 2001.

• Signed by the Vikings as a free agent in 2002

• Has not thrown a regular-season pass. He dressed for every game the past three seasons. Was designated the No. 3 quarterback (inactive) for all but one game: He backed up Gus Frerotte on Oct. 5, 2003.

• Played for Amsterdam (NFL Europe) in 2003, led the league with 2,256 passing yards and was second with 13 touchdown passes.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast