Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    It could. But based on past drafts, the chances of that happening are very, very low.
    The QB field is very deep in this draft, so in this case that is a pretty good possibility.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
    If Freeman helps us enough so we are drafting 12 - 16, I don't really know that I would consider that a bad thing. I mean, I hope we actually do better than that, but if we don't and are looking at drafting the 3rd best QB in the draft, it could work out nearly perfectly for us in the long run. If that's the case, we resign or franchise Freeman, and groom our drafted QB for a year or two.

In this draft, the 3rd best QB can still end up being a very good QB.
    The 3rd drafted QB, may not be the 3rd best either.

Not a bad scenario if it works out that way, providing we don't get carried away on a contract for Freeman. There are a lot of ways this could play out, but regardless of who we keep from our current roster going into next year, I would like to see us target a QB in the draft and start getting him ready. I have a hard time seeing a scenario where either Freeman, Ponder or Cassell are going to bring high level consistent play over the long run.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I was looking over Freeman's numbers and something stood out. Through the first 13 games last season Freeman had 25TD 8int, over the last 3 games he had 2 TD 9Int. Not sure what to make of it, but it's interesting.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    You made my argument for me. Newton's 4-year 22 million dollar contract is a helluva lot more than the one year three million to take a chance on Freeman. Ponder didn't get a big contract because he was a reach. For every first round QB that excels there's one (or more) that don't. My point is rather than waste another year of Peterson's career it's a good move to take a chance now on Freeman rather than draft a first round qb that will be iffy at best. AD is 28 and he'll slow down after 30. We simply don't have time to take another Ponderlike chance.
    Not sure that is entirely correct statement. Reaches are not factored in when negotiating contracts. Slots are. Doesn't matter if you are first round talent or third round talent. That would be a very unfair way to negotiate salaries.

Can you imagine sitting down to negotiate your contract and you hear "I know we drafted you number 2 overall in this years draft, but our draft board really has you at a 2nd round talent, so that is what we think you are worth"

Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    The 3rd drafted QB, may not be the 3rd best either.

Not a bad scenario if it works out that way, providing we don't get carried away on a contract for Freeman. There are a lot of ways this could play out, but regardless of who we keep from our current roster going into next year, I would like to see us target a QB in the draft and start getting him ready. I have a hard time seeing a scenario where either Freeman, Ponder or Cassell are going to bring high level consistent play over the long run.
    If the contract is looking like it's getting out of hand, I guess I'd be ok with franchising Freeman. It's expensive, but only for 1 year. Then hopefully the rookie will be ready.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    It could. But based on past drafts, the chances of that happening are very, very low.
    I just hope Speilman has learned something about drafting a QB. In past drafts, the 3rd QB may not have been the right pick, but you can look to Wilson or Dalton to see that there is still value if you know what to look for.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    Not sure that is entirely correct statement. Reaches are not factored in when negotiating contracts. Slots are. Doesn't matter if you are first round talent or third round talent. That would be a very unfair way to negotiate salaries.

Can you imagine sitting down to negotiate your contract and you hear "I know we drafted you number 2 overall in this years draft, but our draft board really has you at a 2nd round talent, so that is what we think you are worth"
    Correct. Ponder didn't get a big contract because the NFL finally pulled its collective head out of its ass and implemented a rookie salary cap.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    OK, I'll submit that Ponder was paid as a 12th pick, but he was still a reach. Still pretty expensive for what we got.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    This is what I've been saying. Chances are we'll pick in the 12-16 area, which would mean we could maybe get the third best qb in the draft. Does anyone honestly think the third quarterback taken has a better chance to be successful than Freeman? Maybe he doesn't work out, but then we're in the same position we were on Saturday.

This gives us options. Maybe a qb we really like falls to where we pick, then we can still take him. If not, we don't have to reach and get a quarterback like when we picked Ponder. We can take the best player available. QB is the worst position to draft for need. The chances of even two QBs being very good is pretty low.
    If we are going to get a QB due to nothing panning out this year, I would expect the Vikings to trade up to get the guy they want. Where we originally draft in the first round is irrelevant. You only need to look to last year for proof of that.

What scares me about this is, what if Freeman looks "ok"? I would hate to give him one more year only to find he is a bust, and even though it didn't cost us much financially, it would be brutal to once again miss out on a "year of the QBs" draft.

But...BUT...I have no complaints about the drafting in the last couple of years. I am optimistic about our team if we can find someone to lead them. I guess that is why I get so passionate about Ponder and now Freeman.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I was looking over Freeman's numbers and something stood out. Through the first 13 games last season Freeman had 25TD 8int, over the last 3 games he had 2 TD 9Int. Not sure what to make of it, but it's interesting.
    39 total picks in the past two complete seasons. That averages to 19.5 per season. That is pretty bad. Good quarterbacks know what to do with the ball, and the TD/INT ratio can make a break an otherwise good quarterback.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast