Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    I don't understand the hate for this move. It's very low risk. The Wilf's pocket book is the only thing taking a hit. Will it work out? Probably not, but we don't have much to loose. Freeman has shown much more upside than Ponder ever has. I heard somebody mention that Freeman's best year in 2010 came in a WCO scheme.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    If Cassel continues with the hot hand, Freeman can sit and learn the system for a bit. Freeman isn't a rookie so we will know if he is the answer by the end of the season, I suspect.
    By the end of this season the Vikings will know whether they have their QB or have to draft one.
    Looks like They are finally convinced Ponder doesn't have it.

Schiano came in and Childressed the Bucs. Bucs are dysfunctional. Hopefully Freeman isn't.

I think Freeman is better than Ponder and Cassel, but the smart coaching move would be to ride the Cassel train until it runs out of steam.

This move isn't one I would have made, but It brings new interest to a team that is struggling.
    Now if they can sign a cornerback !

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyHorns82 View Post
    I don't understand the hate for this move. It's very low risk. The Wilf's pocket book is the only thing taking a hit. Will it work out? Probably not, but we don't have much to loose. Freeman has shown much more upside than Ponder ever has. I heard somebody mention that Freeman's best year in 2010 came in a WCO scheme.
    Agreed. Win win for us.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    At this point I agree, it's not a bad move. It's the long term thinking process that concerns me more, but that is still TBD and I will reserve judgement until it unfolds. I just don't think Freeman is going to take us where we want to go and I hope he doesn't fool us into thinking so.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    If Cassel continues with the hot hand, Freeman can sit and learn the system for a bit. Freeman isn't a rookie so we will know if he is the answer by the end of the season, I suspect.
    By the end of this season the Vikings will know whether they have their QB or have to draft one.

Schiano came in and Childressed the Bucs. Bucs are dysfunctional. Hopefully Freeman isn't.

I think Freeman is better than Ponder and Cassel, but the smart coaching move would be to ride the Cassel train until it runs out of steam.

This move isn't one I would have made, but It brings new interest to a team that is struggling.
    That's the thing, I read somewhere that a "Tampa Bay Bucs insider" said that Schiano had ruined Freeman's confidence with his angry yelling and negative coaching style.

Cassel looked decent and vs. a top five pass defense, so we can ride the Cassel train for a few weeks and see how bumpy the ride gets while Freeman has a chance to simmer and learn on the sidelines. Besides, the way our OL is letting blitzing backers through, we'll likely have more injuries at the QB position before this year is over anyway! D'oh!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    How is this a good move? We already have 2 sub par QB's who are forming their allegiances in the locker room and now we add a third sub par QB to the team to add another person trying to do the same thing. This is not a good locker room move and on top of that it absolutely makes everything the front office ans staff has been telling us a complete lie in terms of what they think about the QB position. I am beginning to think they are trying to get the fans to ask them to move.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post

My sentiments exactly. Not really a Freeman fan, but, he has more upside than our incumbent(s). Low risk move...will be interesting to see how this pans out the rest of the year.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    We get to take a look at a young first found talent with very little risk- 3 mil. Cassel still might work out but if not we have insurance. Ponder clearly isn't doing the job and who knows how bad he's hurt or how long he'll be out. I'd sure rather take this route than pony up big bucks for an unproven rookie drafted in the first round next year- AP ain't getting any younger. And first round qb picks are a 50/50 proposition at best and you're on the hook for multiple years and big bucks. Let's see what this Freeman kid can do. He's a horse at 6-5 or 6-6 and 240 plus.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    And first round qb picks are a 50/50 proposition at best and you're on the hook for multiple years and big bucks.
    Not anymore. Rookie cap limits this.

To compare, Sam Bradford had the last big contract for a rookie QB, 6-year, $78 million with incentives up to $86 million. Cam Newton's contract was 4 year, $22 million guaranteed, just one year later, still #1 overall.

Ponder was a first-round QB and he's the lowest paid QB on our roster (MBT doesn't count)

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    I would not call it hate. I would call it frustration. Freeman would be a AWESOME addition if we were guaranteed the Freeman who worked his ass off and willed his team to win; but where is THAT guy? The team is betting he will return, and if the other negative fans feel as I do, we are just tired of taking chances on other team's busts.

Someone WILL offer Ponder a contract when he leaves the Vikings, but you can bet your ass it won't be the NY Giants, the GB Packers, or the SF 49ers. Teams like that go get their leaders and mold them into who they want them to be, they don't try to re-shape something broken (I know there are exceptions, just try to understand the point).

For the record, I would LOVE to hear Freeman goes all Chris Carter on us, and becomes a huge benefit to the team. But if I have to hope hope hope, it would be for a rookie with huge upside as opposed to a second chance charlie.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast