Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Is our line that bad or does Taylor have no moves?

memo has run twice on first down for 10 yards giving him a 5.0 yard avg on first.

Brad Childress wanted to run many times. He backed away from his own game plans. By his own admition he doesn't care about the results of the run, he wants to use it to keep the defense true. C. Taylor was banged up coming into this game. You run your RB 30 times it is going to happen.

There is absolultey no reason in this world memo can't share the load with C.Taylor. The line is not doing a great job blocking, but neither is C.Taylor. The run game as a whole is never going to live up to expectations of some. I think it is probably poorly designed as you can watch the plays....dive...dive...dive ...draw.. right up the gut, right into the defense.

The things Childress has said makes me think they run to set up the pass to "keep the defense true" Not the quality but the quanity. Well it looks like to me the run game has been neglected either by design or in practice. I would wager that the truth behind our running woes isn't going to land on the RB or the Line, that it will be somewhere in between.

16 rushes yesterday.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    16 rushes yesterday.
    That many?
    Take away the Brad scambles and there were only 13 attempts.
    They totally abandoned the run, IMHO, once they started getting into the 2nd and long situations.
    And it also appeared as if they started off by running behind Hicks and Johnson, rather than behind the $100milliondollarLeft.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

Someone musta impressed Childress enough for him to be convinced he could actually compete in a passing shoot out like in the good old days!
    LOL!

Lesson learned, don't abandon your teams supposed strength!
    However ugly it may have looked early in the game, it certainly could be improved upon by the start of the 3rd quarter!

I saw no noticeable half time adjustments made on either side of the ball!
    Not a good move coach!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

you really cant get a rythm going with only rushing that many times, the rb isnt even getting warmed up and on track, you cant wear a defense down with only running that little, as it showed in the other games, in the fourth quarter we were running thur thier defenses and picking up good yards, our
    left offensive line should be able to open up some big holes to run thru..their not and that needs addressed...
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Just to play devil's advocate here, but Memo shrugged off about 3-4 tacklers to get a first down on 3rd and 5 at the end of the bears game to run out the clock, give the ball to chester and he fumbles, losing the game for us (granted, Birk sucked big time on that play).

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Just to play devil's advocate here, but Memo shrugged off about 3-4 tacklers to get a first down on 3rd and 5 at the end of the bears game to run out the clock, give the ball to chester and he fumbles, losing the game for us (granted, Birk sucked big time on that play).
    You can't blame Chester at all for that fumble.

You can blame the O-Line.

But mostly you can blame our marvelous play-calling for sending in a play with trap-blocking in a crucial situation.
    Why not just hammer it behind Hutchinson with Richardson in the lead rather than get cute with some fancy-schmancy blocking scheme?
    See that guy in front of you?
    Hit him.

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    You can't blame Chester at all for that fumble.

You can blame the O-Line.

But mostly you can blame our marvelous play-calling for sending in a play with trap-blocking in a crucial situation.
    Why not just hammer it behind Hutchinson with Richardson in the lead rather than get cute with some fancy-schmancy blocking scheme?
    See that guy in front of you?
    Hit him.

=Z=
    Was it a trap? Or did Birk mess up? In an article the next week Birk took the blame, I don't know if it was him being a good guy or if it was really his fault. If it was a trap I would expect Taylor to go towards the left not the right. Someone screwed up.

"Del" wrote:
    Was it a trap? Or did Birk mess up? In an article the next week Birk took the blame, I don't know if it was him being a good guy or if it was really his fault. If it was a trap I would expect Taylor to go towards the left not the right. Someone screwed up.
    According to this article (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/698638.html), it was a trap.

With the Vikings leading the Chicago Bears by four points in the fourth quarter Sunday and facing third-and-8 from their own 43-yard line, coach Brad Childress sent in a simple trap play.
    And I was able to find the article from Saturday's paper which I thought was really good in looking at the play.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/710457.html

For starters, knowledgeable NFL observers last week questioned whether a trap play -- which required Hutchinson to pull to the right side, and Birk to block the player lined up over Hutchinson -- was the safest play to call when protecting a 16-12 lead with 3 minutes, 31 seconds remaining in a game. The chances for backfield penetration were significantly higher than a simpler play in which each lineman blocked the man in front of him.
    Your 2cents, please, Mr. D-Lineman guy?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

I'm going to watch the game because that is not what I saw happen.

But yeah if that is what was called it was either a horrible call. If he wanted to run a trap to the right he should have had a FB lead blocking.

It still could be Birks fault it requires him to get off the ball fast and out of the way of Hutch.

If it was a trap is was one ugly ass trap, and in the end your right, 4-3 defense there is no need for a trap, everyone is straight up or gap assignment just get the guy in front of you.

"Del" wrote:
    I'm going to watch the game because that is not what I saw happen.
    Outstanding!
    I'd love to read your analysis.

=Z=

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast