Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Our D line Gettin Some love...

Good read From NFL.com http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8735802

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Our D line Gettin Some love...

they messed up
    But even before he injured himself Tuesday night, Williams was running as the Vikings No. 5 receiver -- not something a team expects out of the No. 7 overall pick.
    they put the wrong name.
    this is a pretty good article all around it makes me very optimist again.
    but why did he say fearsome foursome II? shouldnt it have been Purple People Eaters II?

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I like Troy Williamson and he was the WR I wanted if Edwards wasn't on the board.

I don't like the pick though. Travis Taylor is going to be our #2 guy and Marcus Robinson is a good #3 and it's hard to see him being any lower on the depth chart than that. That means that we spent the 7th overall pick on a guy who is going to see limited playing time and be burried on the depth chart. The #4 spot would have been a good spot for a WR picked in like teh third Round, which is where we should have picked a WR.

Meanwhile we left this monster of a linebacker in Derrick Johnson on the board. Now, I'm glad Thomas is doing well in Training camp, but he was doing well last year too and he completely sucked in the regular season. I would have felt a lot better if we would have traded the pick back a few spaces (Maybe to San Deigo who wanted Mike Williams) and picked up a couple extra picks and still gotten DJ, or Williamson for that matter.

I think we made 3 mistakes in this years draft:

1. Drafting Williamson at #7 (Later, okay, but not that high)
    2. Drafting Dustin Fox in the Third round (Our secondary is crowded enough without having to add another first day pick to it)
    3. Trading our 5th round pick to draft Fason and ultimately passing up on Anttaj Hawthorne (I think fason will be a good back, but I wuld have rather taken him in the third round to insure we got him than watse two picks on him in the second day)

It's too late for all this now. I think Troy Williamson will be the talk of the league in 2 or 3 years and is a great long term addittion. I think the best way he can help us this year is to return punts.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

kyleo1967 is offline Starter

Williamson will be fine. however he is a project. Next season or the season after he will become the man. Has to be "coached up".

I forgot to comment on our Dline.

I can't wait for the season to start and see all these guys fully conditioned and working together. Pat Williams is big he needs to guys, while K-Will has posted 22 sacks in 2 years seeing constant double-teams. Then Add in a speed Rusher like James, and great pass-rusher in Udeze comming on the end it is going to be tough for offensive lines.

With those guys on the line it won't give much time for the quaterback to throw so he'll need to find an open guy quick. Good luck. With Smoot, Winfield, and B-will not even 3-WR sets will have much luck. 4-WR? Well, you'd better have a dang good #4 guy to up against a Vet like Ken Irvin. And just ion case these guys need help, We've got Chavous and Sharper back there to bail them out. So what the weakness? Linebacker? Well Sam Cowart is a Pro-Bowler, Napoleon Harriss is Solid, and hopefully DT will bounce back and have a great sophmore year. So these dump-off passes won't work and try and send a TE deep against Sharper or Chavous, it won't be easy.

So with an explosive offense, and a suffocating defense there is only one thing standing in our way - The Coaching Staff. I really like Loney but Cottrell is really sucked it up last year (and yes, he had plenty of talent last year) and Tice still hasn't proven he can get his team prepared for Road Games or tough situations. I'm really optomisstic because I don't think any of them are bad enough to mess up an All-Star team like this.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

It still kind of irks me that we spent the #7 overall pick on a project though. Even if he does become a good player, the #7 overall pick should be a starter, not a 4-5th stringer.

Then again, considering how much he is being paid, he will probably be pushed into action sooner rather than later.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

he is the highest paid fourth stringer in the league.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

good read. I like his prediction at the bottem. "They will"

Williamson will be fine. He will probably be the 3rd reciever late this season and next season probably the 2nd reciever. I really like how people are talking up our defense. Man are the purple people eaters really back?!

If the purple people eaters aren't back then it's going to be pretty embarrassing. They have so much potential and talent to not finish in the top-10 would be a failure. The good news is they look relaxed and confident. They know that they have have to back-up the talk with the walk.

Isn't Williamson's contract heavily incentive laden?

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I like Troy Williamson and he was the WR I wanted if Edwards wasn't on the board.

I don't like the pick though. Travis Taylor is going to be our #2 guy and Marcus Robinson is a good #3 and it's hard to see him being any lower on the depth chart than that. That means that we spent the 7th overall pick on a guy who is going to see limited playing time and be burried on the depth chart. The #4 spot would have been a good spot for a WR picked in like teh third Round, which is where we should have picked a WR.

Meanwhile we left this monster of a linebacker in Derrick Johnson on the board. Now, I'm glad Thomas is doing well in Training camp, but he was doing well last year too and he completely sucked in the regular season. I would have felt a lot better if we would have traded the pick back a few spaces (Maybe to San Deigo who wanted Mike Williams) and picked up a couple extra picks and still gotten DJ, or Williamson for that matter.

I think we made 3 mistakes in this years draft:

1. Drafting Williamson at #7 (Later, okay, but not that high)
    2. Drafting Dustin Fox in the Third round (Our secondary is crowded enough without having to add another first day pick to it)
    3. Trading our 5th round pick to draft Fason and ultimately passing up on Anttaj Hawthorne (I think fason will be a good back, but I wuld have rather taken him in the third round to insure we got him than watse two picks on him in the second day)

It's too late for all this now. I think Troy Williamson will be the talk of the league in 2 or 3 years and is a great long term addittion. I think the best way he can help us this year is to return punts.
    I agree completely. I was even hoping we'd take DJ with our seventh pick even. I just think that the Moss trade would've made a whole lot more sense if we picked someone on defense. Cuz basically, there is no way that Williamson will ever be as good as Moss (not that I think Williamson is a bust, just that Moss is the best receiver in the game, and I don't even think Troy was the best receiver in the draft). So is Napo really worth the difference between Moss and Troy??

But if we had picked DJ, then we would've gotten two defensive starters for Moss. In that case, I would have been all for the trade. But as it is, we are now putting ourselves at risk of getting blown out of the water with this trade.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast