Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:The other side of Critical

Caine wrote:
    Recently I have been spending less time on PPO than was formerly my habit. Part of it is the loss of the "Old Guard" members - posters whom I enjoyed reading and conversing with. Part of it is the shortage of Trolls - we used to have them all the time. And part of it is simply off season blues.

The topics I have been active in invariably fall into 3 categories:

1: Why I don't like Childress.
    2: Why I don't like Jackson.
    3: The occasional aberration (The Ray Edwards topic being one)

The trouble is, in all three cases I wind up being forced into a negative stance. And, were one to read my postings, it would be hard to imagine me as a die-hard, in-your-face, unapologetic Viking fan who proudly displays my colors while living in the heart of the Packtard Nation.

So, I thought I'd do something different...feel free to join in. This time, I'm going to talk about what I LIKE about the Vikings. Players, history, organization, all of it.

I have been a casual fan since the 70's. Growing up in St Paul, hearing TCF commercials on the TV and radio featuring "Benchwarmer Bob", the hype surrounding the Purple People Eaters. It was a great time to be a Viking fan.

Then we moved to WI.... I protested, but was over ruled. I was a casual follower (No NFL Sunday Ticket back then) until the 90's, when the proliferation of cable television meant I could actually watch games again.

And while there are a lot of blanks in the above, I'm going to focus today on our team right now.

On Defense.

I love the play of the front 7.
    The Williams wall, Edwards and Allen have really brought the fire back. We haven't had an entire front this dominant in 30 years plus. The run crushing ability, the QB attacks, what's not to love? And while I worry about Pat getting older - because he brought, IMO, a lot of the attitude with him to this line - I've been encouraged by the play of the guys who come in to spell all of them. I like our depth there.

At linebacker, I'm thrilled with Greenway's progression. EJ worries me - because a femur break is tough to return from - but his maturation has been phenomenal. There were times where it looked like he wasn't going to make it, but he really turned the corner. Leber has been the glue for this unit. His acquisition really bolstered our coverage ability. I was impressed with Brinkley in his forced debut - he was no EJ, but he looks like he could quickly become one.

The secondary worries me most. Winfield is a personal favorite, but I'll be the first to admit that he's not the strongest guy in coverage. Griffin looks like he could really be something special, and I hope he doesn't push his recovery and re-injure himself. Johnson and Williams have been adequate - but I'm waiting for Johnson to really establish himself. I worry a lot about our depth here, but I'm encouraged by the acquisition of Sheppard, and I hope that Cook becomes what they hope he will be.

The OFFENSE:

First, the O Line. Hutch is fantastic...'nuff said. I thought Sully did pretty well replacing Birk, and think he'll continue to improve. Loadholt showed flashes of being awesome...I hope he continues to strive to get better. McKinney...if he ever decides he really wants to be a Left Tackle, I pity the DE's that face him. Until then.... The other linemen aren't getting rave reviews, so I'll move along.

Peterson - aside from fumblitis, he's the best in the NFL. Not the most "complete" - yet - but still the best.

I'm seriously going to miss Chester.

At WR, I really like Rice's improvement. He's not the fastest guy, but he goes after the ball. Sorry, I still think that Favre was/is a large part of that progression, but I look forward to Sydney making great strides now that he knows he can.

Percy was awesome to watch last season. The times when people would hit him head on, fall down, and he'd bounce back a bit then keep going were bonafied OMG!!!! moments. I look forward to his continued development.

Berrian...not sure about him. Hasn't really lived up to his billing, but he's had some amazing plays.

Shiancoe - I'll admit, I thought we over paid for him, and I thought he was bad the first year. But he's really come on in the last couple seasons, and I consider him one of the essential players in our scheme.

Kleinsasser - even with a reduced role, I still cheer a little louder for Jimmy each time he's out there. I'll never forget him coming off the sidelines and decleating that Packer at the end of the game in 2002. The game that started the Favre-Hovan rivalry...

At QB, I loved Favre's play last saeson. He's finally on a team that doesn't suck - that's got to feel good. I look forward to seeing what happens with Perilloiux as well.

Special teams....well...they certainly are special. I like Longwell's FG accuracy, but it would be nice to actually kick off deeper than the 7 a little more often. I like Kluwe's punting.

AS for Chiller - I like his team building ability. If he could just resolve one or two MINOR issues, I'd be a bonafied supporter (Yes, I said that).

There's much more, but I'll save that for another time. Feel free to add your own likes to the list.

Caine
    What kind of liberal pinky bullshit is that? For gods sake I can't get the song kumbaya out of my head after reading that drivel.

Get back to reality Caine and Fire childress, dump jackson, take the roof off and play some damn football.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

:woohoo:

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Caine wrote:
    The trouble is, in all three cases I wind up being forced into a negative stance. And, were one to read my postings, it would be hard to imagine me as a die-hard, in-your-face, unapologetic Viking fan who proudly displays my colors while living in the heart of the Packtard Nation.

I agree...don't stop your diatribes. I really enjoy reading them, probably more than any other posts. They are well thought out and conveyed...I never get the feeling that you are being totally negative, but rather realistic.

As far as what I like about these Vikings, I have to say much, much more than I dislike. I'm not a huge Chilly fan, but he is a decent guy who needs to learn better clock management, among other things. But he's done an excellent job putting together this very good team.

I'd like to see more consistency from the O-line. I love Hutch, but don't think he had such a great year (hope it was the shoulder and he comes back strong). AD, Harvin, Shank and Rice should have great seasons again. Can't wait to see how Gerhart fits in. And I am very intrigued by Webb and Perrilloux.

On D, I also love the front 7...what a bunch of characters. And I hope Griffin and EJ can return to their former selves. I'm looking forward to this season more than I have for a long time.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Not sure if I am welcome in this thread, but, I will chime in anyway.

What am I looking forward to? Sounds like a paper you would write in Elementary School before Summer Break...

Offense

1. Favre comes out with an even better year and Marrdro proclaims him the best QB in the history of the NFL. Seriously, with the extra year under his belt and a full year of familiarity with the receivers, not to mention Percy year 2 and Berrian with a healthy hammie things could be very interesting.

2. Gerhart proves he can pass block and catch balls just as well as Chester Taylor while at the same time showing why he almost one the Heisman and actually one most of the TOP RB awards.

3. Never seeing Berrian on the injury report!

4. Webb develops enough as a WR to warrant putting his immense athletic talent on the field (a Physical WR that can go deep as a 3rd/4th option)

5. Loadholt and Sullivan prove out that old maxim about O-lines improving with increased continuity.

6. We sign a FA Olineman just in case Loadholt and Sullivan don't know about the old maxim.

Defense

1. Haynesworth continues to pout in DC and we get him for a late 3rd round pick.

2. Ray Edwards has another great year and people realize what he brings to the game , couldn't resist

3. The coaching staff somehow figures out to take advantage of Robison's and Griffen's amazing athletic talent.

4. Seeing EJ Henderson, Winfield and Griffin at full spead during the pre-season, their health is the balance of talent that will make this defense great if they are healthy.

5. Johnson and Sanford continue to develop and Madieu decides he should he should play better or get cut.

6. Cook becomes a lock-down CB against big WRs on 3rd and long in the nickel package.

Well, all this positive thinking is putting me to sleep, when do we go back to the real world?
    None

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

bsmithberkley wrote:
    You're absolutely welcome here. This thread is about positive Viking thoughts...we can bash heads in other threads...

What am I looking forward to? Sounds like a paper you would write in Elementary School before Summer Break...

Offense

1. Favre comes out with an even better year and Marrdro proclaims him the best QB in the history of the NFL. Seriously, with the extra year under his belt and a full year of familiarity with the receivers, not to mention Percy year 2 and Berrian with a healthy hammie things could be very interesting.
    1: Getting Marrdro to admit that Favre is the best QB on our roster is victory enough for me.

2: I agree that Favre and the receivers should be more in synch - although I do worry about taking all of TC off and how that will affect that dynamic.

2. Gerhart proves he can pass block and catch balls just as well as Chester Taylor while at the same time showing why he almost one the Heisman and actually one most of the TOP RB awards.
    1: I sincerely hope Gerhart pans out - the 1-2 punch we had was essential to our success.

2: Might not want to say "catching balls"...some of the Packer fans get all "tinglie" in their "special place" because it means something else entirely to them. To be safe and avoid unwanted solicitations in your inbox, use the term "passes" instead of balls...

Amen.

4. Webb develops enough as a WR to warrant putting his immense athletic talent on the field (a Physical WR that can go deep as a 3rd/4th option)
    That might be a stretch. We're not exactly shallow at WR - we have a solid corps, and he's going to have to prove he belongs here.

5. Loadholt and Sullivan prove out that old maxim about O-lines improving with increased continuity.

6. We sign a FA Olineman just in case Loadholt and Sullivan don't know about the old maxim.
    I'm also hoping that they don't use McKinnie as a role model. I thought both of them did really well last season, and I think they're going to be solid additions.

Now if only we could get a RG and a LT that wasn't lazy...

Defense

1. Haynesworth continues to pout in DC and we get him for a late 3rd round pick.
    I'm on the fence with him. Although he is 9 years younger than Phat Pat, I worry about his attitude...

2. Ray Edwards has another great year and people realize what he brings to the game , couldn't resist
    ... :woohoo:

3. The coaching staff somehow figures out to take advantage of Robison's and Griffen's amazing athletic talent.
    I think they're doing alright with Robison, bringing him in to keep teh line fresh. He's close to being a legit starter himself.

Griff...I'm still waiting to see what he's all about. He's been GOOD, but I think he's still developing.

4. Seeing EJ Henderson, Winfield and Griffin at full spead during the pre-season, their health is the balance of talent that will make this defense great if they are healthy.
    I absolutely agree that I'd love to see these guys 100% this season. I especially worry about EJ, as a femur break is a really bad injury to come back from, and I don't want him to push too hard and come back too soon.

5. Johnson and Sanford continue to develop and Madieu decides he should he should play better or get cut.
    Again, agree 100%

6. Cook becomes a lock-down CB against big WRs on 3rd and long in the nickel package.
    If that happens, we're going to see him starting. We don't have a "Lock Down" corner on our roster, and if we did, he'd start.

Well, all this positive thinking is putting me to sleep, when do we go back to the real world?
    Whenever you're in need of another "Adjustment", just post something ridiculous and I'm sure that the people here will gladly light a fire under you...

B)

Caine

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Caine wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    You're absolutely welcome here. This thread is about positive Viking thoughts...we can bash heads in other threads...

Offense

1: Getting Marrdro to admit that Favre is the best QB on our roster is victory enough for me.

2: I agree that Favre and the receivers should be more in synch - although I do worry about taking all of TC off and how that will affect that dynamic.

1: I sincerely hope Gerhart pans out - the 1-2 punch we had was essential to our success.

2: Might not want to say "catching balls"...some of the Packer fans get all "tinglie" in their "special place" because it means something else entirely to them. To be safe and avoid unwanted solicitations in your inbox, use the term "passes" instead of balls...

Amen.

That might be a stretch. We're not exactly shallow at WR - we have a solid corps, and he's going to have to prove he belongs here.

I'm also hoping that they don't use McKinnie as a role model. I thought both of them did really well last season, and I think they're going to be solid additions.

Defense

I'm on the fence with him. Although he is 9 years younger than Phat Pat, I worry about his attitude...

I think they're doing alright with Robison, bringing him in to keep teh line fresh. He's close to being a legit starter himself.

Griff...I'm still waiting to see what he's all about. He's been GOOD, but I think he's still developing.

I absolutely agree that I'd love to see these guys 100% this season. I especially worry about EJ, as a femur break is a really bad injury to come back from, and I don't want him to push too hard and come back too soon.

Again, agree 100%

If that happens, we're going to see him starting. We don't have a "Lock Down" corner on our roster, and if we did, he'd start.

Whenever you're in need of another "Adjustment", just post something ridiculous and I'm sure that the people here will gladly light a fire under you...

B)

Caine
    Great posts by the both of you. No disrespect but I am not sure how long I can take this Kumbaya crap! :laugh:

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Caine wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:

Offense

Caine
    Hey Hammer, I cry foul.......Now Bsmith and Caine are baiting me. :laugh:

JK, I will refrain from my usual Noodle bashing as this is supposed to be a "positive" thread.

By the way, I've already admitted that multiple times. Still doesn't mean I like the cat or ever will.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kalamazooer10 is offline Training Camp

All of my family and many of my friends are in Louisiana. It is unanimous in their feelings toward Ryan Perrilouix.He's a guy that believes he's above the rules because he's an athelete.LSU offered him the world. His foolishness and selfishness broke the hearts of everyone who counted on him to step up and be a team player and a leader.He forced LSU to play QB's who weren't ready nor expected to be ready. I can't imagine him becoming what the Vikings need once he gets paid. Hell, why not grab J Russell if that's the kind of QB the Viks are looking for. It's hard to believe there isn't another project QB out there looking for a chance. Someone who went to class. Someone who gives a damn.Charecter does matter.
    None

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Caine wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:

Offense

Amen.

Defense

Again, agree 100%

B)

Caine
    Not to start a debate in this Utopian thread, I just wanted to re-frame my positive view on Webb.

I am hoping Webb gains enough confidence in the coaching staff to come in and be a real presence as a physical/blocking wr, if he catches a few passes its a bonus in my book. His first year as a pass receiver could be pretty vanilla and still be successful/effective. If we were trying to put him in as a WR1 or WR2 I think he would get embarrassed, but, as a 3rd or 4th WR on the field and the last option on most plays he could be very effective.

I am probably still too positive on him for a first year WR, but, no other team could be set up better for his success. Its a zero pressure situation.
    None

1. For Favre to get closer to his usual TD/INT ratio.

2. AP should put it on the turf a little more.

3. McKinnie gets even slower and refs start throwing flags at the V formation o-line.

etc. etc.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast